BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My new toy (D reg VFR400R)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ROB_NSR
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:00 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres this stuff I got once to fix a cylinder head, cant remember what it was called tho, like liquid metal but it was like a stick, the inside layer was black and the outside was grey, you cut off the ammount you need and mix it together with your fingers til it warms up then slap it on

It worked for a while on the head, might be worth a try, ask at your local motorfactors for some high temp liquid metal, thats how I ended up with it!

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:24 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that Ram_Doom was thinking of using something similar on his ZXR400 when he cracked the engine.

EDIT: Ok, just checked, it was a stud that had sheared.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=91086&highlight=

Mark_petty
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:35 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
The crack is on the actual engine casing, so the only way i'd be able to get it welded, would be to remove engine, strip engine, take in casing:S

Is there any putty type things available for this task, so I don't have to remove engine?

No way mate Sad

There must be some sort of liquid metal you could use. Is it comming out fast or just a small drip?

It might be worth ringing bourne speed to see if they can get hold of any liquid metal stuff?

Let us know how you get on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark_petty
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:41 - 15 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how big the leak is but what about this sort of stuff:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEAK-FIX-for-petrol-tank-radiator-oil-tank-mower_W0QQitemZ160039073279QQihZ006QQcategoryZ20594QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not sure if it will last on the heat of the engine though.

There must be something out there
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get photos of it tomorrow, as it's my day off, and also pop round B&Q to see what I can dig up.

It rode so well today too Crying or Very sad

Bullet
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:22 - 16 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

any sort of chemical weld would be a bodge and wouldnt last in my opinion. youve got the proof of that with one failed bodge on the crack allready. only sure way to fix it is to replace the engine case, or get it welded.... welding shouldnt be too much money, if you drain the oil from the engine i rekon you could get it welded in place without having to strip it. have to take it to a proper ally welder though, joe blogs in the local backstreet garage with his arc wont be up to it Neutral

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 18 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some metal epoxy which was recomended to me, from a mechanic friend, and filled the crack... it's reduced the oil leak, but not stopped it.

So when I went down for my MOT I had a chat about it, and the mechanic said to get some araldite, and make the crack wider, so that I can fill it easier with araldite and all will be fine.

But on a good note.....

IT PASSED MOT Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Got an advisory on the front brake slightly binding, but me and the mechanic agreed that it's becuase they look like new pads all round and haven't been bedded in yet Twisted Evil Twisted Evil.

So time to get a look at insurance, and the thing they call tax Sick

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 18 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All road legal now. Laughing

brilliant

ROB_NSR
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:19 - 18 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff!

Whats it like then? Very Happy

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird!

Completly different ride to the FZR (especially with the hydralic clutch).

Still a few things i need to work on:
Neutral light stays on
No light on rev counter
Speedo seems inaccurated - it's in KPH but looks like it's had a MPH convertor, as riding at 30, on the clock is 30MPH...

but then 120 comes round to quick:S

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:34 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Thumbs Up

So finally after a little sweat and tears the old girl is back on the road.

The clocks just need a new bulb, if the oil leak is not too bad then just keep an eye on it and top if needed, as for the neutral light Thinking not sure there maybe just a faulty switch or bad connection, just remember to let out the clutch a little to make sure that you are in neutral when stopping.

Enjoy the last few days of dry weather before winter comes and spoils the lot Wink

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:14 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
I'm sure that Ram_Doom was thinking of using something similar on his ZXR400 when he cracked the engine.

EDIT: Ok, just checked, it was a stud that had sheared.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=91086&highlight=

Was on the cbr daddyo Wink

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:22 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You live and learn Wink

What did it go for in the end?

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:41 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
You live and learn Wink

What did it go for in the end?

£410 which I was more than happy with Smile

ROB_NSR
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:29 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try unplugging the wires on the clutch lever first, that would be the easiest to change so best to start there!

I've unplugged them on mine and I'm leaving them off, it makes it easier to find neutral!

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding neutral is no problem what so ever. The bright green light is the pain in the arse Thumbs Up not to fussed about it though.

need to get the rev counter light though:s

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=94124

Try something a little chavish Wink

I will Embarassed

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be able to see sh$t with them...

Must try it Thumbs Up

:Edit: just been in the dark, windy, and rainy.

It's my speedo that has no light not the rev counter.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo which is faster?

A VFR 400 (NC24 or NC30) or a FZR 600?

ram_doom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Soo which is faster?

Do you ride an aprillia rs125 by any chance?

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the FZR600 so much. (though it is still sat in my drive, taxed and insured)

The VFR400 will make do till I can get enough funds to get another bike, quite a pokey little thing.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
I miss the FZR600 so much. (though it is still sat in my drive, taxed and insured)

The VFR400 will make do till I can get enough funds to get another bike, quite a pokey little thing.

Funny enough my FZR is sitting on my drive taxed and insured and not going anywhere Laughing

Maybe its because that I never broken and run the bike in but it has never realy gripped me as a 'damn thats a fine bike'. Still need a few little things for the MOT in November, if it fails big time, then I will be strongly thinking about turning it into a track day bike instead, and then it may get a good old thrashing.

I suspect that it is a make do bike at the moment, but something tells me that the FZR will always be an 'expeirmental' bike that will allow me to do this and that to. Just ordered some 157mm tail risers so we will see how this improves the handling Wink Not sure on how jacked up this will be as not measured the existing ones, but should be pretty extereme Thumbs Up

Kram
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.
If ya need any parts, give us a shout. my FZR was my first sports bike, and the power and handling were brilliant (although not compared to newer bikes)

My missus liked it too. (due to vibrations)

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drummer wrote:
lol.
If ya need any parts, give us a shout. my FZR was my first sports bike, and the power and handling were brilliant (although not compared to newer bikes)

My missus liked it too. (due to vibrations)

I want a single seat conversion and to remove the pillion foot pegs, so she may never get the pleasure Laughing

This is my 2nd sports bike so I have something to compare to, like the you have the VFR, and I too loved my first the mighty ZXR750 Cool. As you said, and I have posted before, although modern day bike may arse rape you, I would still rather have an older bike

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ram_doom wrote:
Im-a-Ridah wrote:
Soo which is faster?

Do you ride an aprillia rs125 by any chance?

https://tn3-2.deviantart.com/300W/fs7.deviantart.com/i/2005/237/2/9/O_RLY__by_KatzMotel.jpg

I drive a Yamaha TZR 125, and I've also had a Honda NSR 125, so yea close but not quite Cool

...oh and Aprilia has one 'l', not two Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4