Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A grand day out (in the lakes)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
 Topic moved: from Show & Tell to Touring & Exploration by Korn (9 Nov 2006 - 19:04)
View previous topic : View next topic  

sagalout
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:56 - 23 Sep 2006    Post subject: A grand day out (in the lakes) Reply with quote

I've been trying to do this trip with a mate for a couple of months, but a combination of shiftwork, family commitments, the weather and bike problems conspired to make it impossible to find a day. Well this week the biking gods were shining on us. 5 Day forecast looked excellent, both bikes running fine, I could get a day off to match my mates shifts and it was a friday, so no hassles from the other half Smile

The route:

Due to only having one day to complete this trip time was going to be tight. The main considerations where that we wanted to take in some good scenery, have a mix of roads, do hardknott pass and find somewhere decent for lunch and breaks. Ideally we didnt want to do the same road twice where possible. We were starting off from Harrogate, and the usual route to the lakes is the A65. Now I dont really mind this road, but it can be very busy and we didn’t fancy a being stuck in a procession of traffic all the way there. So we decided to go via leyburn/hawes on the A684, into Kendal, up to Ambleside, then Keswick, take the A66 to the West Lakes then come down the road and turn off at Gosforth to do hardknott pass, back to ambleside then back on the A65, stopping at Devils Bridge. AA route planner makes it about 250 miles. The map below gives the route, although we skipped the A1 and stayed on minor roads from Ripon to Hawes.

https://213.225.133.189/mapping/image/GetMap?Ref=GB_public_Routes_Ftzlllcv_YtKc0J_32D3hQ%3D%3D

The bikes:

I'm on the CBR600FR. Its a 1994 parallel import but only got 18K miles on it. Had one or 2 niggles with it in the last month – knacked fuel diaphragm and regulator but seems to be sorted out now. Dave has a BMW 1200GS, bought from new with just 2K miles on it. This is the longest either of us has ridden in a single day, so it would be interesting to see how the comfort compared on very different bikes. Supplies were absolutely minimal. I do have satnav on my bike which I bought the other day, although not had time to wire it in so would have to try and save batteries where possible. Other than that the supplies consisted of the underseat tool kit, a mobile phone, wallet and a couple of mars bars to provide some energy if we ended up on Hardknott pass waiting hours for an RAC recovery truck!

https://static.flickr.com/98/249923687_02d124409d.jpg

Set off:

According to the AA route planning, it would be 7 hours riding time. Add in about 3 hours of stops and we really wanted to set off at 7am. So after I woke up at 8.30 it wasnt the best start. The weather forecast had said sunshine all week, but typically I looked out of the window and the road was soaked and it was spitting. Still, we werent going to be put off this time, so we set off at 9.00am. Heading out on the Ripon road and then turning onto the Masham road I began to think this wasnt such a great idea. The roads seemed to be splattered with diesel everywhere and I could feel rear trye squirming several times. Still, there were one or 2 notable straights where we could let rip with the bikes, and the skies started to brighten. 20 miles in and the roads where really drying up. By the time we reached our first stop at Hawes the sun was shining and the roads were perfect. We made our first stop at the Penny Garth Cafe in Hawes. On a weekend this place is packed with bikes but I guess today everyone was at work. We had the most amazing bacon butty - a real belly buster, and got talking to guy with a black SV1000. His bike sounded awesome with race pipes on and it turned out he was going to Cumbria aswell, although he was taking the more direct route up the A65. He gave us some good advice about which way to go over Hardknott pass and apparently is going to featured an a program called Biker Britain next year, so we'll look out for that.

https://static.flickr.com/91/249923689_adec62add9.jpg

So we set off from Hawes on the A684. Now I'd been advised by a few people not to do this road. My old man reckoned it was full of tractors and lorries with no passing points. The guy we met at Hawes even said it was a really slow road and we wouldnt make our 1hr planned time to Ambleside. But I've got to say I loved it. Bend after bend after bend - it was awesome on the CBR, flicking it side to side. I'm not so sure that Dave enjoyed it quite as much on GS. He was hanging back a fair way but he'd get his revenge later on in day I'm sure. Its true that you cant ride the A684 all that fast, as many of the bends are blind and lined with dry stone walls, but as a slow/medium speed very technical stretch of road it was fantastic. We only hit a dozen or so cars all the way Kendal, which were easily passed on the few straights along the route.

The TomTom never lies and we arrived in Ambleside an hour later, 12ish, just as planned. Stopped off for a quick coffee at a pub in the town centre and started to think about Lunch. Dave knew of a pub at Wasdale head, a slight detour but worth the view apparently. So we set off on the road to keswick. Now I normally really like this road - fast sweepers, a few dual carriage way stretches etc, but today it seemed to be full of cars with few passing points. Never mind, there were still a few thrills. Stopped for some fuel at keswick then headed straight onto the A66. It was nice to get a bit of major A road blasting in after being on mostly minor roads so far. The A66 was fairly quiet, leading to triple figure motoring for long stretches. The GS is surprisingly fast on A roads – I suppose at the end of the day it is 1200cc – and gets to over 100mph very quickly with little or no gear changes. We then turned off the A66 onto the A595. This was probably the lowpoint of the route, and given more time we would have plotted some minor roads through winlatter pass etc but we needed a fast route to get to the pub for lunch. I find the west side of the lakes in general is pretty dull, and really this half hour stretch was mundane riding – probably not helped by the fact I was starving and just wanted a decent meal!

After what seemed like an age, the highlight of which was during which was a small race against a furniture truck being like in the film ‘Duel’, we turned into Gosforth and headed to Wast water. The scenenery here is amazing – really dramatic – with the water framed by this huge imposing hill/cliff mountain. We turned left to take a detour to the pub at the end of Wasdale head. The road here is single track running alongside the lake. There are loads of sheep just roaming around which slows you down more than the actual road. Passed a group of bikers coming the other way so if that was you ‘hello’ . The pub itself was nice – food wasn’t cheap at £9 for a microwaved steak and ale pie, but it tasted ok and was certainly ‘hearty’ in portion size . We rested there for an hour taking in the scenery and feeding the pub dog, before setting off for hardknott pass.

https://static.flickr.com/81/249923690_855c0fabdd.jpg

https://static.flickr.com/98/249923695_0062eb6c48.jpg

Dave was a bit concerned about the weight of his bike and the fact that the BMW rear brake is crap. I didn’t realize how worried he was until we stopped at the foot of the pass for him to take a piss! I’ve done hardknott about 15 years ago in an old MG Midget with drum brakes. That was frankly terrifying at times so I was looking forward to tackling it again on a bike with loads of power and great brakes. The bike certainly didn’t struggle in that regard, but it was still quite challenging. There are some weird cambers on the road making it feel as if the bike was trying to throw me off the side, and some of the hairpins required full lock. Imagine the DAS u-turn on 35% incline on a rutted, potholed road where the cambers are all over the place and you’ll get the picture. Daves worry about the weight and having to do hillstarts was unfounded as there were no cars blocking our way, but he said first gear on the big twin was very lumpy at that speed, and his biggest worry was stalling it. Anyway, both bikes got through it unscathed and the down hill stretch was easy after that.

Piss break before the pass (you can just see it in the centre of the pic winding up the hill)

https://static.flickr.com/92/249923699_d942ce81ee.jpg

View from the top, looking back

https://static.flickr.com/85/249925316_cf7b0caae6.jpg

Dave on the GS at the top - Thinks he's just ridden the Road of Bones Wink

https://static.flickr.com/85/249925317_117c85ca0c.jpg

We pushed on to ambleside, conscious of time as it was about 4.30 by now and we wanted to be home before dark (and before our wives started nagging Wink) and kept going aiming to get to Devils Bridge at Kirkby Lonsdale for a quick coffee. Unfortunately the weather had other ideas. From Windermere onwards it started raining, then got heavier and heavier. We had a good blast – what turned out to be the last of the day – on the dual carriageway after Kendal, again hitting well over 100 which was a good antidote after the speeds on the single track roads we had come off. The rain was relentless though and Devils Bridge wasn’t looking too attractive – nowhere to shelter and no bikes to look at so we pushed on to Giggleswick and stopped in a pub for a coffee. This had been a long stretch, over 2 hours in the saddle, and my arse was killing me lol. A quick 15 minute break and we hit the road for home. The light was starting to go, and coupled with the rain visibility was crap, especially over Blubberhouses on the A59, where we were riding through the low cloads. From there is a 10 mile ride into Harrogate and back home.

All in all a really fantastic day. If we could have spread it over a couple of days I would change the route, take out the north west part of the A595 section. We learned a lot about our bikes - after having a few niggly problems with mine its now given me complete faith in it again. For a 12 year old bike it never missed a beat, started first time every time and handled all the road conditions we chucked at it with aplomb. It was quick when I wanted it to be, but was happy to cruise at low revs and used less that £20 on our 257 mile journey. It was pretty comfy until the last 50 miles, which started to become a chore, although I’m sure the weather didn’t help. Daves beemer was immense, and every time I heard it set off I was reminded of the intro to the ‘Long Way Round’ DVD. I was surprised though that he was as uncomfy as me at the end of the trip. The seat obviously isn’t as comfy as the sculptured shape suggests. All in all though I’m happier with the CBR than I would be with the GS I think, purely down to riding position. I do fancy a litre bike next year though, and it may well be a twin. Perhaps an SV1000 or maybe an RSV. But in the meantime the little CBR is a great allround bike. Could just do with another couple of nice weekends before the end of the year  This was also the first trip with the TomTom rider and it was great. Took the stress out of a fairly tight time schedule - we couldnt afford too many wrong turns, and the batter lasted all the way until Devils bridge - over 6 hours of riding.

If anyones interested in trying the route, or portions of it, I've saved it in the AA site here, although as I say we changed it to avoid the A1:

https://tinyurl.com/q4tsw

Last edited by sagalout on 23:05 - 12 Dec 2006; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

airpig
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:21 - 23 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write-up! Thumbs Up Would love to do the lakes myself (on the same bike as yours!) but might have to wait until next year.

Don't know about you but even after about 30 mins of "cruising" my wrists start to ache. You did well m8!! Wink

Blackrhythms
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:07 - 23 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely written! I could almost imagine being there!! Thumbs Up Very Happy

lee125
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 24 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool write up and nice pics, hey im from kendal they are some nice roads Very Happy Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

shaun_04
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:09 - 24 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good write up, and I have to say that Dave's GS looks great. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 24 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, its great riding twisties around some nice scenery.
Hows it feel gettin some miles under your belt Thumbs Up
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

airpig
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:48 - 25 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sagalout, you didn't happen to be at Squires yesterday, did you? Saw a couple of bikes with the same paintjob but wasn't sure if yours was one of them. Thumbs Up

An old fella was on one!! Wink

sagalout
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:07 - 25 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

no mate, although Dave was there on the GS with his mrs. Think they were there about 1pm.

I'm not that old either lol (well thats what i keep telling myself!) at 33 Wink

Dave gets a real complex about the average age of GS riders haha. Every one we see is in their 50's, usually with a beard Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

airpig
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:04 - 26 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's your usual haunt then?

airpig
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:08 - 26 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was quite surprised on Sunday. I saw another 4 cbr's like ours but wasn't too sure of the years. Am always envious when I see another with complete fairings and not a patchwork quilt like mine!!! Sad Embarassed

sagalout
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:57 - 27 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

airpig wrote:
Where's your usual haunt then?

Squires is a fairly frequest destination - just had to spend a bit of time with wife and kids this weekend after being out on the lakes trip on friday. In fact I might be popping up today, depending on how work goes.

I also go to the Sunn Inn near Harrogate - its only about 8 miles from my house so its a good place to stop on the way home from a blast in the dales. Gets busy (ish) on a sunday, but nothing like Squires, and their coffee is crap lol.

I'm loving the CBR. You're right - I see loads of bikes the same age as ours about, but just see that as a testement to its build quality Smile. Mines held up really well - never been dropped and not much mileage. The paint finish is pretty much perfect, with only a bit of flaking on the fork lowers to give away its age (and its dated styling lol).

I paid over the odds for mine at £1600 which is a lot for a 12 year old 600, but I got a good warranty with it and it really is a very tidy bike, and when I trade it in next year he'll give me about 1300 back for it so I cant really lose.

I'll look out for your bike at Squires and say hello Smile

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 28 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: A grand day out (in the lakes) Reply with quote

sagalout wrote:

I’ve done hardknott about 15 years ago in an old MG Midget with drum brakes. That was frankly terrifying at times so I was looking forward to tackling it again on a bike with loads of power and great brakes.

I'd love to try that too.... I did hardknott pass about 5 years ago, I was 18 and on my first bike, a 125 2 stroke. I was in first gear with the throttle to the stop all the way up Very Happy I'd love to go back now I'm older, more experienced and have a few more bhp Smile

cool post Thumbs Up

ISLAND GIRL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:25 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sagalout wrote:
no mate, although Dave was there on the GS with his mrs. Think they were there about 1pm.

I'm not that old either lol (well thats what i keep telling myself!) at 33 Wink

Dave gets a real complex about the average age of GS riders haha. Every one we see is in their 50's, usually with a beard Laughing

This made me chuckle. Nick has his gs and often hears comments too about olds on these bikes where as it just aint true, he is only 39 and certainly does not have a beard....in fact he has hardly any hair on his head! Dave's GS is lovely, I like them in the yellow. Does he use the GS forum, lots of guys on there from all over and not all olds with beards ??
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1