Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Polishing a frame & swingarm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Polishing a frame & swingarm Reply with quote

Evening folks,

Well further to my thread about polishing rearsets & downpipes, my frame and swingarm are fairly tatty and the idea occured to me that I could polish them completely. There's chips of paint missing in places and slight rust spots in others. I have quite an extensive polishing collection all of a sudden, so I'm tempted to utilise it.

They're currently finished in a desaturated gold color, which chips off in places so I gather it's painted and then lacquered? Both the frame and swingarm are aluminium pieces.

Anyway my question is what are the options for refinishing them afterwards?

Can I polish them to a high polish and then simply lacquer them? If possible I'd like to do this - But I don't know if its a valid method.

Chroming would be too expensive and too tarty for my tastes and wallet.

Could I achieve a nice finish with an automotive sprayer and some automotive paint?

Is having the frame and swingarm anodised an option?

Thanks for any input.

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anodised, maybe. Polished, NONONONONONONONONONONONO, it looks horrible and is a complete pig to maintain, polished frames and swingarms are the equivalent of furry dice, IMO.

Cheers

Grim
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

mrtEE
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Polishing a frame & swingarm Reply with quote

loply wrote:
There's chips of paint missing in places and slight rust spots in others.

Both the frame and swingarm are aluminium pieces.

Speeky no eenglish?

0ddball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Polishing a frame & swingarm Reply with quote

mrtEE wrote:
loply wrote:
There's chips of paint missing in places and slight rust spots in others.

Both the frame and swingarm are aluminium pieces.

Speeky no eenglish?

Okay, corrosion then. Its brown underneath so it near enough looks like rust, though I guess the brownness is probably an undercoat or something.
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's painted in a low-saturation gold color.

I'm sure it's painted on account of the fact that it's scraped off and chipped off in places, revealing a dark brown underlayer (the color of a well used 1p coin).

This may be primer of some sort, or just scum left over from the underside of the topcoat?

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best picture I could find, doesnt give you a very good idea of finish type, but at least you can see the color:

https://img139.exs.cx/img139/4337/blauwyamahaszr6603eo.jpg

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:55 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is ally, it will polish.

There are a couple of methods involved to get a good finish. I prefer a more hands on approach using wet and dry.

WARNING! THIS IS VERY PERMENANT AND MAY COMPROMISE THE VALUE OF YOUR BIKE (some see polished frames and what not as disguising crash damage) I did and they are currently sitting unused in my garage - I didn't like the lack of control they didn't give. So I use wet'n'dry. The original finish depends entirely on what grade to start with. Original finish - 240 grit; quite a bit of hard work at this stage, but it gets easier (relatively) when moving up the grades. Remove all surrounding bodywork/obstructions, fill a bucket of water, apply a tiny amount of washing up liquid, tear a hand sized patch of wet'n'dry up and then sand away like you would paintwork. Keep the surface saturated.

For painted/laquered surfaces you may want to try Nitro Morsing first. I have little experience with this stuff, but heard it works pretty well (won't remove the finish of a frame though). Anyway, gradually move up the grit levels - the key is to be patient - it will take a while. Miss a spot and leave a deep(ish) scratch in your metal work and it will show in the levels thereafter, so be careful not to just hack away in the first stages. Once you've moved up the 240-500-800-1000-1200-1500 grit stages and most sratches have been polished away (along with the original finish) dry thoroughly and then apply some Autosol to a cloth. Use the same technique as described for metal polishing above.

My (previous) two-wheeled furry dice:

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/mirrorpolish.jpg

My Blade top yoke, this is the kinda finish obtainable with wet and dry:

https://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/whers84/DSC01710.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use nitromors to get rid of the paint, wet and dry it as craig says. When i did mine, i then got an electric polishing mop and rubbing compound and used that. The 1500 grit and autosol didnt seem to work for me, so i used the rubbing compound and then the autosol and mine came up like a mirror. It's the first piece of metal i've ever polished and didn't come out too bad.

https://w1.bikepics.com/pics/2006/07/11/bikepics-631386-full.jpg

Not up to craig's standards, but for a first go and little effort it's not a bad result.

By the way, if/when you use nito mors, get a ventillator, and do not let it come into contact with anything you value, including yourself. It's the most effective paint stripper out there, but it'll eat most plastics and rubbers (including your tyres according to some...). It also needs disposing of very carefully.

BLUEX5 wrote:
anodising big complex castings will cost ££££££.

it's practically the same process as electroplating with a few differences, so i can't see how it'd be that expensive

BLUEX5 wrote:
Really you need to strip the bike and get the bits bead blasted to a smooth finish in lieu of polishing them up. I know a lot of people that havn't bothered laquering after polishing, and keep on top of it with autosol

You don't need to "keep on top of it" Just autosol it once a month, if that and the shine will come back with every application.

Jack

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:07 - 05 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Personally I would not do it. Far too much work in the future to keep it shiney.

You could get it powder coated or anodised, but both would require stripping the bike entirely. I understand than Spondon Engineering can anodise frames. No idea of cost.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 200 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1