Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Question about life.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:40 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Question about life. Reply with quote

Dont worry there will be no moaning about ex's in this post Laughing Thumbs Up

Basically im a 20 year old male that sometimes doesnt know his elbow from his arse and can be a bit emotionally unstable, whic i apologise for, but i have been sat here thinking tonight.

I fancy a change, my current job is basically sat on my arse, staring at computer screen and answeringthe phone for people book flights etc. Now i went to college for 2 years and studied a travel course, i thought this is what i wanted to do, but obviously, im bored fucking stupid with the travel industry and fancy a complete career change.

Been looking at courses at uni etc, and working out new career paths. Now i would like to go and study again for a few years and then get a job to pay for it etc wether it be at a local Morrisons, ASDA etc which i dont mind.

But being 20 im not too old have a change of career am i? Or should i just fuck it and go for it? My Mum is fulyl supportive and will help me with applying to uni etc and suggesting courses and career paths. Just hope its not too late for a change of mind. Confused

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, your not to old to have a change of direction..........and yes, f*** it and go for it.

You havent got any ties, or major committments and I think a change of plan would be good for you. So, dont just think about it, do it?

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 11:20 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't be the oldest person starting a university course... go for it. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not working in the "travel industry" you're working in a call centre ffs! Rolling Eyes

Whilst you are certainly young enough to change career direction and go to Uni if that's what you want, you don't seem to have any idea of what you want to do there or where you want it to take you. Not really the best position to be in, if you were saying "I always had a secret hankering to be a ........... but I need a degree in .........." then it might be different, but I think I see a bit of a greener grass scenario developing. Would hate to think of you doing 3 or even 4 years at Uni then coming out and going "actually........." Confused What would you do then? Go back and study something else? Just as an afterthought, are your grades good enough for you to have enough UCAS points to get into Uni?

Why not try and get a "proper" job in travel? Start approaching travel agents and holiday companies with your cv (cos it's always easier to get a job when you already have one) and see what happens.

It's the wrong time of year for it now but have you thought about sticking with it for a bit longer then applying to be a holiday rep in time for next summer?

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 17:02 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

havent you just spent the past months bigging up this call centre job like its the best thing ever?

and as babyyams mentioned, you arent in the travel industry, or if you are, youve barely scratched the surface, and being 20 youve not stuck at anything for more than ten mins, so perhaps you are being a bit hasty

just my two cents
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 4 main career choices i wanted to persue when i was 18, Nursing, Travel industry work, Mechnic or Plumber.

Yes i know i work in a call centre but the travel industry, lets be honest the work is boring, i wanna get up in the morning go to work and be doing something different day in day out. Working in a travel agents/call centre isnt like that. This time of year is also the most mundane and boring time for the industry also, im luky if i can break £50 a day commission at the moment.

Never really fancied being a holiday rep, just from a older family member who did it and it wasnt the best. Fancied Airline cabin crew which i could persue that.

But my theory is, after the constant moping around feeling sorry for me, having a completly fresh start would be good for me.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
Yes i know i work in a call centre but the travel industry, lets be honest the work is boring, i wanna get up in the morning go to work and be doing something different day in day out.

Erm, I really hate to be the bearer of bad news here bwfc but that just ain't going to happen. 99.9% of all jobs are boring. You do the same old same old day in day out, maybe with an occasional change but basically - that's just how it is.

Welcome to Real Life sunshine!

s0urc3
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,

I'm 17 years old and last year I left college after a month because of a girlfriend leaving me after a year and a half relationship.

Around about 2 months later I went to work for a company that provided IT Solutions for corporate clients and it consisted of general administration tasks, answering the telephone, sage accounts etc. Soon I realised that it was too early to be in a full time job and that it wasnt what I wanted to do.

Doing a job related to IT was all I wanted to do but to my big surprise I changed my mind (as you do when you are young Wink ).

So, my thoughts lead me to leave my job and I did virtually nothing for a few months.

I have recently started college and have found that I have more time to think and at the same time I am working towards something. I have come to the conclusion that at a young age you need to have some variety, such as college, a part time job, a hobby (biking Cool Wink ).

Make a plan of your goals, your hobbies, and how you intend to achieve them.

I wouldn't really suggest going to University unless you know exactly what you want to do. However, if your going to do it anyway, why don't you try a course such as Business Studies.

This degree course would provide the skills needed for just about every industry out there, and would obviously open many more doors. You never know, it might lead you into an entrepreneurial frame of mind and you could start your own business Razz Cool

Anyway, there are some of my thoughts, sorry to rabbit on Smile Cool

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Babyyam, yes i know in 99.9% of jobs are going to be the same routine all day everyday, but at least ill get a vareity, say Nursin for example it would be a new challenege everyday, someone new to look after etc, or car mechnics a new problem to solve etc. Whereas now its just get up, into work get all my flight search engines up ( Magic, Viewdata and Airscan) answer calls, give out prices, have conversation with people on phone, have a kebab for lunch etc.

I want a jobto be honest which is a bit more hands on and energetic with more vareity, the only vareity i get in my day now is wether to have a Sandwich for dinner, a kebab or chips and mayo with either 7up, Diet Coke or Irn Bur Laughing

Id like to go to uni to study something new, so ive got a few weeks or so have a think about which type of career i could persue.
I could try the Army, but been put off it by alot of peoples comments saying DONT do it.

I know i moan on etc, and i apologise, i just value peoples advice on here, i have friends, but there all concerned with dicking there girlfriends etc.

Spiral
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:53 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work sucks if it was fun it would be your hobby!

but i can handle the work, its being taxed to f**k by the government that makes me Evil or Very Mad

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:48 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
im luky if i can break £50 a day commission at the moment.

suddenly, im thinking of working in the travel industry, if £50 a day commission is bad

cheekie monkey
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are definitely not too old for a career change. The trouble is theres not always the jobs out there once you've passed and put all the effort in.

I did my A levels and never went to uni, did 3 years working in business insurance, thought I was too young for doing it, I'd passed all my exams within it and I could always come back to it in the future. I then changed to flying and i'm loving it, its not boring, one day is never the same, it has its good and bad points but I don't regret it.

20 is not too old!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Delbwoy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:16 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever career you chose, before you go into it, speak to people who've been doing it for years, and listen to what they say.

I was a mechanic for about 12 years. It's a shit job! I was told it's a shit job by the foreman when I started, but did I listen? It was good until I was in my early 20's, then I developed back problems and after a long hard day my hands became more or less crippled. All so my boss could have a big house in Wimbledon and drive whatever car he chose. They use gloves now, but for me it was an embarrasment to go out as my hands were always dirty no matter how much I tried to clean them.

I'm now 38 and am just about to go into a new business as I'm bored of useless people doing a half arsed job with the business I currently own, and I can't be everywhere. It's never too late to change direction in life as long as circumstance allows it.

You're young, so you have to learn something, and then if you're up for the long hours etc you can do it for yourself.

I often think if I wasn't doing what I do, I'd look into being a paramedic. Perhaps a quick response guy on a bike! If that was seriously on the cards, the first thing I'd do is go to the nearest hospital/ambulance station and ask the older paramedics about their opinions of the job.

I've met loads of people over the years, and everyone moans about their jobs except those that have turned a hobby into a job. (Saying that, a windsurfing teacher was moaning about his job the other week!)

Sorry to waffle on, but in summary: Decide what you like. Do a bit of research. If it suits you, go for it. Finally...........Stick it out. All jobs are shit in reality, just some jobs are less shit than others!

FWIW, I wouldn't waste my days in a poxy call centre!

Best of luck, and I'm glad to not be reading about some bint that's given you a hard time.
Check my website. look at my profile though as putting it here would be spamming methinks (I worked hard to create it so at least look at it!) Nothing to do with bikes I might add! Might appeal to the more feminine personality.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 10:58 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Re: Question about life. Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:

But being 20 im not too old have a change of career am i?

God help the rest of us if 20 is too old for career change!

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
I could try the Army, but been put off it by alot of peoples comments saying DONT do it.

Try the Navy/RAF. Thumbs Up

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:23 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't like your job, change it, your never to old to do some thing new, i was in the army for a few years and decided it had had enough, i left went to uni ect, now im in another job i don't really like Very Happy lol, not really i have a trade and can go any where i want and know i can always get a job doing it so it suits me,
do want you want life is far to short to be doing a job that just makes you misreble

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

pwntifex wrote:
bwfc4eva86 wrote:

Try the Navy/RAF. Thumbs Up

Well id like to try the Raf but i cant pass the Entrance test i dont think, got all the information shizzle, and it baffeled me, so ive decided Army Air Corps, may as well go and have a challenge in my life. And yes people slate the Armed forces, but id rather make something of myself than be stuck in my current job.

So going to persue this now Thumbs Up Get in do my minimum of 4 years and see how i feel after that Smile

s0urc3
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to go in the Army as an Officer in the Intelligence Corps, but unfortunately didnt pass the initial medical phase because of asthma Crying or Very sad

I think a lot of people (mainly school leavers) want to go in the Army as they see it as the easy option. However, if the career choice is used properly I would of thought it would be quite an exhilirating experience.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:07 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i fancy the Army Air corp (polishing helicoptors Laughing ) but we'll see, i need sit down have a good think and a word with myself. And see what i want to be doing in 10 years time. Because i cant and dont want to be stuck in a call centre in 10 years time, id die of boredom. So going to do some research and stuff. Thumbs Up

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 11:06 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
You wouldn't be the oldest person starting a university course... go for it. Thumbs Up

My ex is 26 and she started uni last week! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 11:37 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tip, how about for once in your life make a life choice that YOU make and not asking everybody on BCF about what to do, it's like your life is dictated by the people of BCF.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Here's a tip, how about for once in your life make a life choice that YOU make and not asking everybody on BCF about what to do, it's like your life is dictated by the people of BCF.

Heres a tip for you then, if you dont like what i say FUCK OFF Middle Finger

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 11:57 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another of these threads these are fun.

Yeh, you don't know what to do with your life. Sign your life away to the army for 6 years, go off to the worst part of a sandy country 6000 miles away and get shot. That must be better than working in a call centre until you make your mind up about what you want to do.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, beats getting stabbed by Gangster Wannabe pakis in Manchester tho. Thumbs Up

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:00 - 04 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:

Heres a tip for you then, if you dont like what i say FUCK OFF Middle Finger

It's not that I don't like what you say, I just pity you for not being able to make your own important life decisions.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2