Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ebay / Paypal dilema

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Ebay / Paypal dilema Reply with quote

About 3 weeks ago I won a Pyramid carbon hugger for my bike. It was described as having a black gel coat. there was even a question answered on the page and he comfirmed that it was indeed made of carbon and not plastic.
Now I thought that I'd give it a punt maybe to sell on considering that they are £120 new. Well anyway I won it at £41 + p&p, bargain I'm thinking.

After 10 days I notify Paypal that the item has not arrived. The seller gets a bit arsey I tell him that I'm just covering my bases just incase.
It finally arrives the next day ( 1st class paid for Rolling Eyes ) One look at it and it's obviously not carbon. I call pyramid and they confirm this.
I then contact the seller and tell him this, he says "well all i can do is offer you a refund. what can i say." So he's offered me a refund so it now goes like this.

Me "If you want it back send a payment to my paypal of £54.25 and I'll get it sent off today, or we could come to an arrangement about a partial refund."

Him "refund for what?? It is sold i was just trying to be helpful, its no good to me as i now ride a buell."

Me "It was sold as a carbon hugger, which it is not. If it was sold as a normal hugger then it would not have reached the price that it did. Lucky if the price would have got to £25 for it.
As I said I can send it back to you and you can re sell it or I get a partial refund and keep it."

Him "MAYBE I THINK NOT, ITS STILL A BARGAIN, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, ITS NO GOOD TO ME, ITS A VERY GOOD HUGGER IN EXCELLENT CONDITION."

After that I notify Paypal that the item is now disputed, so he now has 10 days to contact them. Now here's the bit Laughing Paypal found in my favour and have credited me the total amount I paid including the p&p. Shocked

So I've now got a hugger and been refunded my money aswell. The seller has not yet contacted me about this so what should I do ? Hang tight and keep the the money aside until he starts screaming for it or give him a partial refund ?

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 17:22 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the money, and make him pay you to send the hugger back. Can't stand eBay scum.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SoulRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup agree, he mis-sold the item and he knows it, make him pay the postage to send it back.

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why originally I said to him to pay £54.25. That would have covered my postage costs to send it back.
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 18:50 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there was even a question answered on the page and he comfirmed that it was indeed made of carbon and not plastic.

It wasn't as described.

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 19:50 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

anders wrote:
It was probably made from Fibreglass and he just got confused, give the guy some slack.

Give the guy some slack? If he answered someone's question and said it was carbon, you'd let him get away with it because he "just got confused"? As Mr E said, the auction wouldn't have gone as high if it wasn't carbon. Maybe the guy will pay attention to what he describes in the future.

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if Anders is yanking or not ? Laughing

Anyway how am I supposed to know that it wasn't carbon ? Are carbon parts never painted ?

Here's the question and answer he gave someone else.

Q: is this real carbon fibre or just carbon look plastic ???? thanx lee

A: real carbon fibre mate, not a cheap lookalike. Its just gloss black gelcoat finish whth the pyramid logo on it i can photo the underside if you wish. Thanks

And here's his description.
Due to having to sell my zx636r B1h, I have all my extras that I put on it from new to sell, this is for the Pyramid Carbon Fibre Hugger, I bought it for £120 less than 6 months ago its used but in excellent condition, if you are looking then you know what it is and what it does.

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add I personally think that he did think it was carbon. So if he paid £120 for it he should be complaing to where he bought it.

He was also selling it on another bike site as "carbon" along with his other stuff.

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siggi wrote:
Mr Everard is copping some payback now, for all the times he's given me gob over my ebay rucks. Tee hee. Middle Finger Laughing

I ain't copping anything mate. I've got the hugger and the cash. Can't do better than that can I ? Wink

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's whining ? Laughing

All I'm asking is should I keep the money or send some back. Win/win as I see it. Thumbs Up Razz

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the wife does those jobs for me so there's no need for a torch. Wink

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 23:06 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont think the seller wants it back as he no longer has the bike it goes on

you should put it on ebay, and either keep the proceeds or send them to the ebayer who gave the bad description

if you think he intentionally misled u might wanna do a siggi and keep the cash

id be more tempted to send him the proceeds tho, as im nice and generally think more people are incompetant than spiteful, so he probably just made a mistake

there is no point asking the seller to send you money to send it to him,as he wont want to do that

nice to hear paypal awarded in your favour, and do earn their percentage on some occasions

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:22 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a link to the auction please?

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:58 - 02 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real carbon hugger for a ZX6R (used and 6 months old) went for £112 on EBay - which is almost what they cost new (£120)! Normal plastic ones seem to routinely go for around £45 (£75-£80 new).

But it would appear that he did describe it incorrectly. Tell him to come and pick it up or to pay you the postage back to him. By all means offer to give him what you think it's worth to "save him the bother" - he should be clever enough to realise that he's going to loose twice the postage fee as a minimum (there and back), so offer him £41 less that amount. If he's not that clever, point it out. Tell him he's got 28 days or you'll charge him storage (and sell the hugger to pay for it if necessary).

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you should keep the money, and if he pays for postage in the next month then send the hugger back, if he doesnt, then chuck it or chuck it back on ebay, he cocked up, and didn't tell the truth, so now he pays for that mistake,
just my opinion of course Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:40 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own experience selling on ebay, if I sell anything that turns up wrong or broken as a result of my mistake I get a replacement out pronto and don't charge anything, and if I want the original back I pay the postage and packaging.

Hang onto it until he says he wants it back, then ask him to pay the p&p. If you hear nothing for 3 months, you got a free hugger.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:47 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i14.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/33/18/ac_1.JPG

That being the picture of the hugger from the auction and the description says "Pyramid huggers are bike-specific to ensure a perfect fit, and are made in a range of materials including ABS plastic, glass-reinforced plastic and carbon fibre."

Send him the hugger back, you got exactly what was pictured and described so he's not done anything wrong. Rolling Eyes

Jenks
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

his parking job isnt very good on that road Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste, you've read the ad and you know fine well it was being sold as a carbon hugger. The part you quote didn't come from him it was copied straight from the Pyramid site. And you will also note that the link he put in the ad takes you straight to the carbon hugger page.

So please explain why I got what was described ?

Header says :
Pyramid Carbon Hugger zx636r zx636 zx6 zx6r zx6rr B1

Ad says :

Due to having to sell my zx636r B1h, I have all my extras that I put on it from new to sell, this is for the Pyramid Carbon Fibre Hugger, I bought it for £120 less than 6 months ago its used but in excellent condition, if you are looking then you know what it is and what it does. Heres the Pyramid write up and link..

The question and answer :

06-Sep-06
A: real carbon fibre mate, not a cheap lookalike. Its just gloss black gelcoat finish whth the pyramid logo on it i can photo the underside if you wish. Thanks

Last edited by Mr.Everready on 19:49 - 03 Oct 2006; edited 1 time in total

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Lee Confused

As with most things you buy you have to take the word of the seller. It was also being sold on another forum as a carbon hugger, who was I to argue ?

Next time I buy something black and it comes back yellow I'll not complain then shall i ?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:01 - 03 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Everready wrote:
Ste, you've read the ad and you know fine well it was being sold as a carbon hugger. The part you quote didn't come from him it was copied straight from the Pyramid site. And you will also note that the link he put in the ad takes you straight to the carbon hugger page.

So please explain why I got what was described ?

There was a picture of it, you've been sent a hugger the same as the one pictured? If you have, I don't see how there's anything to complain about.
Mr.Everready wrote:
The question and answer :

06-Sep-06

So yes, you have a cardon fibre hugger with a gloss black gelcoat finish on it, exactly the same as he said it would be.f

It is as pictured, it is as described, and it is as per his answer to your question.

Just because something is made of carbon fibre, doesn't mean it has a cardon fibre finish. Something made of carbon fibre and is described as having a "gloss black gelcoat finish" definately doesn't have a carbon fibre finish.

If the seller had done anything wrong, then keeping the hugger wouldn't be a problem. But his description is acurate, there is a picture of the hugger and he'd answered your question about it; the seller hasn't done anything wrong and just because it wasn't what you thought it was isn't a reason to rip him off. Even better, return the refunded money and deal with the hugger yourself as its not the seller fault you bought something without looking at the picture.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2