Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda H100 help....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vintage Honda
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:16 - 18 Oct 2006    Post subject: Honda H100 help.... Reply with quote

Firstly hello all,
i'm new in the bike world and just bought a honda h100a 1980 model the bike is in astonishing condition but theres just one or two little niggles, the meter lamp appears to be very dim you can hardly even see it. They have a resistor which i changed for a new one but no difference even cleaned up the mounting surface but no luck???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

finpos
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 18 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by the meter lamp?

What's this resistor you changed?

Sorry, both sound very unfamiliar to me Smile

finpos.

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 18 Oct 2006    Post subject: H100 Reply with quote

It might not be earthed properly,you could run a wire from behind a bolt
on the frame to a bolt in the clocks that will earth it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Did you try a new bulb in the meter?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:39 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off. Good choice for your first bike, you'll always remember it because they have character. More fun than a 9bhp commuter bike has any right to be and reliable with it. My advice is never sell it, you'll always regret it if you do.

By meter lamp I assume you are meaning the backlight for the speedo and rev counter. Well, try all the earth/connector/bulb faults described, but you may find it is just down to the fact that the charging system is pish. 6v direct lighting and not a hell of a lot you can do about it.

Replacing the bulb with an LED might improve things a bit, but maybe not because they run on AC and diodes don't like AC. Never tried one myself though.

Vintage Honda
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:43 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rite i actually got to spend some quality time on the bike for a change and i think i've solved it, i was refering to the speedo illumination bulb and it was just too dim, rite now the daft bit all the indicators had 12v 5w bulbs when they should have been 6v 21w, the speedo bulb the turn light and neutral light were all 12v. I'm going to get some correct bulbs hopefully in the morning and fingers crossed it should work fine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:51 - 19 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should do the trick.

Is the battery ok? There is no voltage regulator on the H100, the battery soaks up any slack in the system (told you the charging system was pish).

If the battery is duff, you can get quite a bit over 6v in the loom and it merrily pops bulbs as soon as you fit them. This might be a reason why someone would fit 12v bulbs (or they might just have no idea what they were doing, which is common with owners of such bikes).

Vintage Honda
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:10 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery is brand new, mine is the early h100a with just a speedo, they have a resistor as its referred to in the repair manual it sits just above the cylinder head and mounts to the frame it has one pink wire coming out of it which goes into the loom when the resistor is earthed the bulbs would be dim but if its removed from the frame and just the pink wire connected all the bulbs are bright, i think the issue could be the bulbs but will see.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:30 - 20 Oct 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Honda wrote:
The battery is brand new, mine is the early h100a with just a speedo, they have a resistor as its referred to in the repair manual it sits just above the cylinder head and mounts to the frame it has one pink wire coming out of it which goes into the loom when the resistor is earthed the bulbs would be dim but if its removed from the frame and just the pink wire connected all the bulbs are bright, i think the issue could be the bulbs but will see.

That's a ballast resistor. It stops the wiring in the lighting circuit from overloading and popping all the bulbs when you just have the sidelight on.

The lighting circuit is powered directly from the alternator, the electricity is not rectified or regulated, just runs on direct, single phase AC.

What this means is that when the lights are switched on, the circuit is supplied with a certain amount of power which is distributed between all the bulbs. If the headlamp isn't on but the sidelight is, there is an extra 25w of power in the circuit that the headlamp would normally have been using. You then get a cascade bulb failure (they all pop, one after the other). The ballast resistor 'soaks up' the extra 25w and prevents this. It also prevents cascade bulb failure if say, the taillight bulb blew.

This is why it is important to use the correct wattage bulbs and to have the ballast resistor connected, don't take it off. Sort out the bulbs and your problem will go away.

Incidentally. The flashers, neutral light and brake light are on a totally seperate circuit and run off the battery. They have nothing whatsoever to do with the headlamp, tail light and instrument light.

EDIT: I should point out that "cascade bulb failure" is a term I came up with myself to describe what happens in that sort of lighting setup when a bulb blows in the absense of a ballast resistor. My old Yugoslavian moped used to do it all the time. So don't use it to describe something to a mechanic, they wont know what you mean.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1