BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Headlights on

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

JonT
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:43 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine this, its winter and the sun is low in the sky, someone is about to pull out of a junction, they look in your direction but its a little difficuilt to see because the sun is shining in their eyes from that direction.

If your lights are off you will create a shadow from the sunlight, you will be a dark figure that can be spotted. If you have your headlights on you become indistinguishable from the background, an old army trick to make vehicles essentially invisible in certain conditions.

In these conditions I prefer to have lights off, especially since people often think I am flashing them when im going over bumps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Krakatoa
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:06 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don`t ride with lights on. After having a few narrow squeaks because of the crap surfaces, i prefer to look out for the idiots(everyone with more than 3 wheels), rather than rely on them seeing me.

A good example. Recently the dark nights have joined us and it`s darker earlier. As its dark i HAVE to have my headlight on, to see where im going, and to show me to others. Yet still when i come past the junction, i KNEW he was going to pull out on me, and he did. ( a side issue was i panic braked and stopped right in front of him, being wet didn`t help). Wife was sat next to him and 2 kids behind.

How many times has someone pulled out or gone to pull out on you this year? I`ve lost count. It would seem the best weapon, by far, is paranoia.

We have several roundabout`s in the city near me. On each exit is a huge red sign exclaiming THINK BIKE!. They don`t. Bikers still get knocked off. Lights wont save you if you haven`t been acknowledged. They aren`t looking for a light, or a bike, they are looking for a car sized gap. As bazza said, why introduce the mobile phone laws when this is already clearly driving without due care and attention.

Although, IMO cagers should have to undergo the same level of training that we are subjected too.

Sadly, in our case, we`re a small minority, and that makes it harder still for people to think of us.

puremagic72
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:58 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Always ride with them on anyway, so doesn't bother me at all.

Same here.

Baz. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 04 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krakatoa wrote:
How many times has someone pulled out or gone to pull out on you this year? I`ve lost count. It would seem the best weapon, by far, is paranoia.

I can only remember one occasion in two and a half years of riding when I've had to do an emergency stop. That was when a child fell off a bicycle in front of me.

Every other time I've had to stop/ slow down ina hurry it's been planned because I could predict what was going to happen. The rest of the time, defensive riding has won the day and no-one has driven into me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 04 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaggis wrote:
Every other time I've had to stop/ slow down ina hurry it's been planned because I could predict what was going to happen. The rest of the time, defensive riding has won the day and no-one has driven into me.

We give thanks to our Heavenly Father, oh 'Holier than Thou' defensive driving Guru... Laughing

mchaggis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
mchaggis wrote:

We give thanks to our Heavenly Father, oh 'Holier than Thou' defensive driving Guru... Laughing

I knew I was digging a hole for myself with that comment. Laughing

It wasn't quite what I meant, but I couldn't think of any better way of putting it. You just get used to what seeing what car drivers are going to do by catching small visual cues and can adapt to suit without having to slam on the anchors. No doubt there's a car door out there with my name on it just waiting to come along and bite me in the arse, but so far *touch wood*, what I do has worked.

Shamrock
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:05 - 01 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lights on is safer 99% of the time.

How many times has something caught your eye in the mirror only to turn and see a biker along side you?

Picked up some extra illumination off ebay recently, something similar to this for my GS!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/rnattrass/Lightsrsoff.jpg

Also noticed recently, although I think they look a tad gay, that wearing a hi-viz cycling jacket over my jacket makes me a lot more conspicious to drivers. i think they may also think im a copper sometimes which helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gixajane
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 06:27 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are on all the time, if I had a choice to have them on or off I would still have them on, any tiny little difference that it makes for a car driver to see me then that's good for me.

When out riding with a mate or group its easier to keep a check that they are still with you when you have their lights behind you, my mate used to have his turned off so it was harder for me to keep track of him, much easier now he keeps them turned on.

JJ

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 02 Dec 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Always ride with them on anyway, so doesn't bother me at all.

What if you're trying to follow someone some night and you cant turn your lights off because the government has nicked the switch. You won't be saying that then. Tut Tut
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3