Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How much trouble will i get in??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Leggy_Girl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: How much trouble will i get in?? Reply with quote

Help! Had a drama at work today Shocked

Basically my friend who rides a motorbike (Rachel) left work today at 4, and me and another friend (Graham) normally stay on til 5. It's 4:10 and i get a call from Rachel saying "Help, i've come off my bike, and i'm trapped under it. Cars aren't stopping to help me and i'm in so much pain... please help me."

I'm a very weak little girl and couldn't pick Rachel's bike up if i tried, so i grab Graham who also rides a bike and begs for his help. He is more than willing because Rachel is his mate too.

I run to my supervisor and beg if we can go help her, and her exact words were "If she's well enough to call you then she's fine." I said no, she needs help and she responded "Do both of you have to go?". Shocked At this point i turn round to my other supervisor and ask the same question. She is actually concerned for Rachel and tells us to go straight away. So off we shoot!

We return to the office at 5:25 after Rachel is safely in the ambulace and everything is sorted with the police etc. Everyone had gone home. I am not looking forward to going in tomorrow...

Rachel only called me because i was closest, and i only got Graham involved because i couldn't help on my own. I wasn't going to say to her, "Sorry Rachel, i'm at work so i cant help you", was i?

We are in Southampton. At the time her boyfriend was in Havant, her dad was in Basingstoke, and her mum was in Portsmouth - all at least a 30 minute drive away. I was less than 5 minutes away.

I do not regret leaving the office to help her, but i am a bit worried that i'm in for it. One supervisor said i could go, but another didn't, and sources say that my actual bosses are not happy at all.

I will happily stay an hour to make up for it, or they can dock my wages, but i want to know if i'm going to get in trouble? I've been there over a year now, and they know i work very hard and wouldn't do this without a damn good reason... Sad

flat spot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief don't worry about it. Like you said offer to make up the time and apologise, but explain that a collegues well fair is more important to you.

Rob-B
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:04 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure they will understand if you explain that it was an ermegency and you had to go and help her they will understand. Thumbs Up

Is she allright?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Leggy_Girl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

flat spot wrote:
apologise, but explain that a collegues well fair is more important to you.

One of my friends at the office said basically just that to my boss because she was concerned and sticking up for me in my absence, and all he said was "Well, they're not at their desks are they?" Me thinks they don't give a shit Sad

Leggy_Girl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob-B wrote:
Is she allright?

She'll be ok. She's very shook up, she has mashed her whole left side, has whiplash, and has badly bruised her knee and is on crutches. She was more worried about her Virago than herself lol. I just feel really bad for her because she's only been riding 2 weeks and got brand new gear at the NEC this Monday - A&E cut it all off tonight! Exclamation

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 22:28 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done

you will be fine

when they understand that she was trapped under the bike and that you and graham went to free her from it, they might even praise you in front of staff as it wd be good for staff morale.

at worst they will pretend that no one suggested you leave a colleague trapped under her bike with no help.

if colleague on crutched explains what happened, it will help your cause, maybe a statement from ambulance people might help

shame that brand new gear was trashed, but thats what its there for

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 22:52 - 02 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your employers get in a tiswoz about this then they aren't worth working for IMO.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

msgander
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:08 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

does your friend work at your place? If so you can remind your boss that as a Company they have a "duty of care" to all employees, even in a situation like that.

If she doesnt work at your place, then tell your miserable supervisor that you have the right to leave work for emergency circumstances like that, AND the other supervisor said it was ok.

if they dare give you any warning etc, then let me know and I will arm you with a letter that will get them shaking in their stillettos!

It would be pretty much totally unfair. Especially if you are willing to make up the time. What would they do if it was their friend.

I suspect the issue was more losing two staff rather than you helping your friend.

A way round it would be to get your friend to write to your bosses thanking her for letting you guys assist in her hour of need, guilt will get the better of her!!

Thumbs Up

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd be cunts if they gave you a hard time about it in the morning, and you'd be better off working somewhere that people actually give a shit about their staff.

I bet the girl who was trapped under the bike feels really great with that sort of supportive response from her/your employers Rolling Eyes

Cunts Evil or Very Mad

veeeffarr
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:39 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you for helping, I wouldn't worry too much, someone said that you can go, so that's all sorted.

By the way, it might be worth reading this: https://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html in case you need to pick your bike up in the future.

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:53 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should see it as an asset you bring to the company, not as you being irresponsible and don't care about your job. If they kick up a fuss about it I'd lodge a formal complain against the supervisor, because it would just not be on. But they won't.

tokarev
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:02 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just face the music and dance. Wink

daveyb
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 05:28 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So If the Bosses Daughter rang up saying she had been in a accident they would rush straught to them. Bollocks of course they would

Just bloody glad i'm self employed sorry but couldn't be a member of the rat race now

Dave

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did the right thing, Leggy. You couldnt ignore your friends call for help. Dont worry about it. If your bosses say anything, just offer to make the time up.

I doubt your bosses they will say anything, because one of the supervisors gave you permission to go. Let us know what happens.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have a go about it, tell them you have a friend that would be very interested in writing a news article about how a company would prefer to leave one of its members of staff trapped under a crashed motorcycle, needing urgent medical attention so that their colleagues can stay at their desks.

Seriously, if he has a go, tell him that, and then PM me his direct phone number.

I can't stand arseholes like that.

Paivi
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:35 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Rachel was that badly hurt but could still use the phone, why didn't she ring 999?

Like all the above said, don't worry about it, you did the right thing and I'm sure they realise that.

Leggy_Girl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why she didn't call 999 first, i think she was in shock and just wanted someone to get to her quick, i.e. me.

Thanks for all your help though guys, i think i was worrying too much from all the stress yesterday. It has all come good now, though i am still very annoyed about some people's attitudes, because Rachel works in the same department as us and they didn't care about her. I am wondering whether i should follow up with a complaint Twisted Evil

Me and Graham went in to work today, ready to back each other up and were up for a fight... but there wasn't one? We walked into the office, and everyone just ignored us for a bit (highly professional bunch i work with), except 2 friends who were genuinely concerned. The first supervisor i spoke to yesterday though who didn't want me to leave on the other hand, ignored us ALL day! Rolling Eyes

We just kind of muddled through the grunts and the evils until about 10am, and then Rachel hobbled through the door on her crutches, totally unexpected! Apparantly my friend had told her about the grief we were getting and she came in to sort it out! She went over to our bosses and explained everything that had happened yesterday (in great detail), and why she called me to help.

All the awkwardness stopped soon after that little convo, but there was still a fair bit of tension.

Apparantly our bosses had decided we weren't in trouble after that (we never should have been in the first place imo Rolling Eyes), and that although 'certain people', i.e. the first supervisor, weren't happy about us ignoring them, me and Graham did the right thing. They said we are clearly very good friends (which we are) to have done that Thumbs Up

Her bike is now tucked up in my garage and we're going to get Rachel some new gear tomorrow now Laughing

I do love a happy ending...

BanditBitch
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 03 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad its all sorted Thumbs Up

zaknafien

PostPosted: 11:30 - 04 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out nice again. Mr. Green Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:48 - 04 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

crutches are a great visual aid

Phil_G
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:40 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin1 wrote:
crutches are a great visual aid

Also handy for waving about in an irate "let them off or I will stick this up your nose" fashion...

Glad it turned out ok in the end Smile

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:56 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

just noticed leggy's sig. excellent ! Smile

Clanger
Stirrer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 05 Nov 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here is what you should do, get into the office early...go straight to the boss and tell them first hand what happened and why you had to go.

Say you are sorry, that you werent able to go through the correct channels of getting leave, but you are more than willing to do the overtime if necessary.

The boss will probably be so pleased you went immediately to them, instead of sitting bricking it, waiting to be called in, that they will probably just say...its okay, but dont do it again

Edit: Note to clanger, read whole post before posting reply!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 179 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1