Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chinese Mikuni knock offs..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Chinese Mikuni knock offs.. Reply with quote

..any good?

Like any testosterone fuelled teenager worth his salt I'm trying to squeeze some more horses from my moped (well a100)..

I've previously filed the exhaust port, trimmed the disc valve, replaced the air filter with a tea strainer (literally) etc.. and while it's peppy enough it doesn't seem to rev out as I'd hope.

.. my next ill-thought out experiment will be to up the size of the carb from a 20mm to 22mm like the GP100 speed machine and the A100 race kit had (yes really it did once exist - enough to make these put out 17HP)

Chinese knock off are (very) cheap and more readily available than old worn GP100 units but are they any good or is just a waste of time and money.. These are the most basic carbs you can imagine so you'd hop not much to go wrong.

And, since we are now back in the mid eighties, answers on post card please to the usual address.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that chinese knock offs are so hit and miss it's untrue.

I have 3 chinese air brushes. One works superbly and the other 2 are garbage even though they are all from the same manufacturer (got for pennies on ebay).

I bought some LED replacement numberplate lights for wifes hairdresser car. 1 lasted a week, the other is still going strong 2 years later.

Perhaps buy a couple and hope one works properly. Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:32 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molkt pitbike carb. I have tried TONNEs of fakeunis on my pitbike, and they were all crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Molkt pitbike carb. I have tried TONNEs of fakeunis on my pitbike, and they were all crap.

Ah not ideal.. in what way(s)?

I now recall I did get a new more powah carb for the JingCheng Dax 90 I had a few years back which did at least work..

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using one continually for the past few years and it's been fine. Doesn't seem crap. Maybe I was just lucky with it. A couple of design differences but they're easy to adapt to.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:45 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got my YX140 working on the Fakeunis at all. You could start and rev it, but it would always die pretty quickly.

However, the machines arrive here with Molkt carb. You can set them up how you like, mess with jetting and air screws and it'll run and not die. It might not run well, but it'll run well enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:04 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. They are so variable as to be completely useless. I bought a couple for my old CN250 once, only to realise that the original knackered carb worked better than either of them. One was nearly as good as the fucked Honda original, when the other was fitted the bike would neither tick over or rev cleanly... even more ridiculous when you consider that the two of them most likely fell off the same conveyor belt in the same Chinese factory within minutes of each other.

The float bowl gaskets made useful replacements; anything requiring greater engineering tolerances was scrap. I ultimately solved my problems with a second hand Honda carb less worn than the one I had.

I probably sound like a broken record to some of you, but it's just been my experience - Chinese stuff, whether it's parts or a complete bike, really is only worth considering if you are utterly desperate. And even then you'll probably end up disappointed.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 09 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

message received..

Look like I'll try and hold out for a complete GP100 unit..

..this one doesn't look a complete disaster but no cap, choke plunger or float or jet needle from what I can tell.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324091603016?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 09 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you'd expect to get those missing parts (if you don't have them already) tbh. I tend to agree with the guy who said don't buy Chinese. The only reason I'm using one is because it came supplied with the bike (the last guy was trying to get it to run with 2 Chinese Mikunis, which he supplied). I wouldn't buy one myself. Not sure if I'd take a risk on one either tbh. Lately, I've found that you can ask if people have got stuff in Facebook groups. You get a lot of approaches by scammers but someone somewhere is likely to have a complete used Mikuni in their garage they'd be willing to sell.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1