Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How Embarrassing !!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 17:19 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: How Embarrassing !!! Reply with quote

Sorry this is a long one Exclamation

Lovely day late this morning. Bright sunshine, warm, dry roads and my day off. So, I decide to go for a breeze on my GPZ.

Great ride, nice twisty roads, plenty of speed and really enjoying it (apart from the fact that all the fly's and bugs in creation decided to make the best of the warm weather too - most of them ended up on my visor and screen!).

I'd been out for about 2 hours. Ended up in Derby and decided to come home along the A38 dual carriageway.

Passed everything in front of me and swatted plenty more bugs and fly's. Then, in the outside lane I started losing power at a rapid rate of knots - serious de-celeration taking place.

I start thinking "fuel running out, get the tap into reserve fast". Could I find the fuel tap? Could I f**k. Eventually slammed on the brakes and pulled into the tiny little gap between the carriageway and the curbstones - ya' know, that little bit between the white line and the curb, where all the shit in creation builds up?

Well, I pulled over, found the fuel tap and put it into reserve. That's shocked you all hasn't it? Because all of you thought "he was already on reserve - ha, ha" - wrong!

However, would the bike restart? No! And anyone who's got a 'big' bike will tell you just how hard they are to restart after your fuel runs out.

I'm now thinking the bike's not gonna have it and I'm in a dangerous position on the road, so I decide to push the bike onto the grass verge to get away from the traffic. Have you ever tried to push your bike off the road single-handed against those triangular curbstones. It just doesn't happen. The bike just kept sliding back onto the carriageway off the curbstones. I couldn't help but keep laughing at myself.

In the meantime, all the cars I'd overtaken prior to my fuel loss just sailed by. Some of the drivers giving me the 'wanker' sign. The others just honking their horns Middle Finger

So, one last try on the starter "come on baby, don't let me down, I really don't want to push you the remaining 10 miles back home".

Pressed the start button... And it suddenly fired into action saying "OK Old Geeza, lets get those cagers".

And I did Middle Finger

Mind you, I soon pulled into the first petrol station I saw.

A great experience, nevertheless. But scary!

Sorry to rant on so much. I just thought you might be interested.

Regards.

The Old Geeza

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

good for a laugh tho init Thumbs Up

sorry, that saying is in my head still from my instructor saying it every two sentences Laughing
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 17:24 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sort of thing sounds a pain. Im glad I dont have reserve, and if i did, i think id just keep an eye on the trip counter and leave it on reserve all the time.

Its never nice being stuck at the side of the road with a stubborn bike. Nice to hear you got it going again though after initial difficulty.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:25 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy nice story...

Now wasn't it back in your day you could buy a tankful of petrol for a shilling, ride all day, get a slap up meal, buy a new suit and shoes and still have change? Wink Very Happy

FWIW there's maybe be a third setting (prime) on the fuel tap (not seen a GPZ recently though). This bypasses the vacuum feed. When you run out put it to prime, this gets fuel into the carbs and then back to reserve. HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that numerous times, cos I swear it is impossible to turn the fuel tap onto reserve while your moving on my ZXR, but then again you dont get enough warning, it'll lose power and then bang it's gone altogether so you dont even get the time to put it on reserve before it's dead.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run out, you have to give the reserve a minute to get into the carb again, rather than trying to start again straight away. Thumbs Up

Keen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
That sort of thing sounds a pain. Im glad I dont have reserve, and if i did, i think id just keep an eye on the trip counter and leave it on reserve all the time.

Its never nice being stuck at the side of the road with a stubborn bike. Nice to hear you got it going again though after initial difficulty.

The reserve is a safety net, I don't see any downside..

Besides, I heard its a bad idea to use reserve often... all reserve does is use a fuel line located at the very bottom of the tank instead, which means any bits of crap/dirt in the tank that could have sunk to the bottom will go through the fuel lines.....

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when I go onto reserve, I put the choke on fully, usually speeds up the whole starting process, and then just turn it off once it's going as you know the fuel's getting through.

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 17:30 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
Now wasn't it back in your day you could buy a tankful of petrol for a shilling, ride all day, get a slap up meal, buy a new suit and shoes and still have change? Wink Very Happy

I just knew I could rely on you. You're a card, you are. How come you only seem to pop up out of the deck when I write something ?

I'll write again when I've stopped laughing Thumbs Up

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 17:44 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

you did give yourself that name so you are asking for that kind of attention really Smile

although admittedly, the caption'back in my day..' beneath cant be to your taste Smile

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 18:10 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
although admittedly, the caption'back in my day..' beneath cant be to your taste Smile

To be honest, my opinion's changed and I've quite come to like the Custom Title. It gives everyone something to refer to. And they love using it (especially map) to 'slag me off'. But I don't take offence. It'll be a shame to see it change.

As long as it doesn't affect my Karma I don't mind. However, my Karma doesn't seem to have moved much over the last month, irrespective of how many posts I've sent. Not sure how this works anyway !

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:18 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflex wrote:
Usually when I go onto reserve, I put the choke on fully, usually speeds up the whole starting process, and then just turn it off once it's going as you know the fuel's getting through.

Reflex has it there. If that happens again, you need to put the choke on just until it has fired up. My GPZ only takes three or four revolutions of the engine to fire up after changing onto reserve if you use the choke, takes bloody ages if you don't.

You sometimes even need to do it for a couple of seconds if you managed to change onto reserve 'on the fly', just to get things going again.

scrapps
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:32 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean about trying to change to reserve while riding.

On my first ride after passing my test, I had just picked up my bike. The guy who owned it said - you'll be fine for about 50 miles before needing the reserve - I trusted him.

I hadn't really looked at the fuel tap and on the way home, ON THE A45 at 70mph, the engine spluttered. I reached down, but couldn't find the tap.

Remember this is my first time on a big bike (ER5 in DAS to Bandit 600), first time riding alone ever. Almost lost balance and came off trying to find the damn thing.

Bloody scary.

Engine died, I pulled over, and had to get off the bike to find the valve. Not amusing at the time, although in retrospect - no harm done...

It's all good Thumbs Up - adds to experience!!!

Laughing

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Reflex wrote:

Reflex has it there. If that happens again, you need to put the choke on just until it has fired up. My GPZ only takes three or four revolutions of the engine to fire up after changing onto reserve if you use the choke, takes bloody ages if you don't.

You sometimes even need to do it for a couple of seconds if you managed to change onto reserve 'on the fly', just to get things going again.

Same as that mate, mine usually starts first time if the choke is on. Learnt that little technique damn fast, seeing as my bike drinks fuel so quick, so many a time I've been sat on the side of the A13 having to start it again.

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 18:36 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Thanks for that, stinkwheel. Very informative.

I actually ran out on the main tank when I first brought the bike home after I bought it. But I was going much slower then, so I was able to find the tap and change it over - no problems. But at 70mph (ahem - ish!), it wasn't so easy Embarassed

I think I need to learn to know exactly where the fuel tap is.

Sorry, folks, but I still can't help laughing at myself. Looking back, it seemed very serious, but now... Snigger Laughing

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 18:43 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could I find the fuel tap? Could I f**k.

i had this problem saturday actully as normally do it naturally but for some reason i couldnt get the tap turned, had to pull over but managed to keep it runing, that must have been annoying.

Glad you go the cagers back, i HATE it when they get the last laugh!!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:48 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worst fuel tap related moment was going down the A1 on Hogmanay at about 9pm. Bike went onto reserve, reached down to change it over and the end of the tap came away in my hand (Italian plastic, snapped off).

Got the bike another 15 miles to an open petrol station by
hanging off the bike to the right and keeping it tipped way over to the left whilst going in a straight line to bring the fuel level above the tap. Got some very funny looks.

riichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

my zxr gets really grotty, then when i change down gear and blip the trotal there is no rev. so i then soon pull in flic on to reserve an wait about 40 secs, then half gas and hit starter and caboom shes back.............

you never find out how heavy your bike is untill you leve the reserve on and full fully out off fuel....... Embarassed

SoND
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my bike I can drive a good 300m with what is just in the carb.

Gives me plenty of time to realise I'm running out and flick the tap over.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 18:53 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea my RS just runs out of life, i didnt relise once and though i was going quite fast (was dark so seemed fast) and couldnt work why i could see cars i passed still. then i filled it and hit the powerband and almost fogoten the amount of power!

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 18:56 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoND wrote:
With my bike I can drive a good 300m with what is just in the carb. Gives me plenty of time to realise I'm running out and flick the tap over.

At 120mph on a 500cc bike your 300metres becomes about 3 yards Shocked

So I'm told Wink

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Last edited by The Old Geeza on 19:50 - 10 Oct 2005; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

simonthepiema...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:48 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

this happened to me far too many times when I got my first big bike, the hornet. On my first day using it to go to work i was running late and thought I would cane it down the motorway to save time, half way between junction 10 and 11 it died in the fast lane, cue coasting to the hard shoudler and trying resereve - which was having none of it. A couple of bikers stopped to ask if I had broken down and when i told them I had run out of petrol I could tell they were thinking 'punter newbie' Embarassed

The worst one was again running late for work thought I would ch
ance it as i reckoned i had a good 20 miles left but the bike proved me wrong at 10 miles. There was a petrol station about 1/4 mile up a hill so i decided in the rain to push it up the hill, half way up after multiple stops my lungs nearly packed in. Figuring i would try reserve again it finally fired up and i had to ride it up hill on wet grass, wheelspins everywhere. Now I never let it go above 100 miles and ive always got an excuse when late for work Laughing

White Noise
Mr Dudwee

PostPosted: 19:56 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Re: How Embarrassing !!! Reply with quote

The Old Geeza wrote:
Well, I pulled over, found the fuel tap and put it into reserve. That's shocked you all hasn't it? Because all of you thought "he was already on reserve - ha, ha" - wrong!

that happened to me this morning, did some miles for work so reset the odometer for it. figured i was ok for gas by my calculations. first mistake! Laughing
pulled up to a set of lights and the bike dies. crap less fuel than i thought then! Rolling Eyes look down and the taps on fecking reserve! Doh!
first time i have done it in the 8 months i have been riding. made me laugh that i could be that stupid and the fact the closest garage was 800 metres down a slight hill! Razz Thumbs Up
its a wierd feeling free wheeling on a motorbike with no helmet! Laughing
WN
Riding Tip #86: See God, then back off a bit: Problem is i haven't seen god yet, just a close up of tarmac on revett straight
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Old Geeza
Back in my day...

PostPosted: 20:00 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonthepieman wrote:
i decided in the rain to push it up the hill, half way up after multiple stops my lungs nearly packed in. Figuring i would try reserve again it finally fired up

It's a bloody killer, isn't it?

Puff, pant, puff, pant, wheeze, heart thumping like a steam engine.

Then, just for the hell of it, you try the start button. Hey presto! The bloody thing kicks into life and you can ride it.

And what do we all think at this stage? Would the bike have started 500 yards away before I'd pushed it so bleeding far?

Puff, pant, puff, pant Exclamation

bish777
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 10 Oct 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt your bike have a PRIME position on the tap? I go to prime if i run down, then put it to reserve after the bikes started. Saves much fuss.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2