Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My Crash Experience *with pics and x-rays*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 18:32 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: My Crash Experience *with pics and x-rays* Reply with quote

Wow, this had been a very different 3 ½ weeks for me, it has been very depressing, painful, interesting, boring, insightful, lucky and unlucky all at the same time. I want to say a big thanks to BCF for the support I have received in so many different ways such as visits (South-East lot, siggi especially who came many times), donations, magazines (South-East lot), loaning DVDs (tatters and coronanboner) and a box of lovely Thornton chocolates with a card from kickstart and Mrs kickstart. Thanks as that lifted my sprits on a day I was quite low. To show my thanks I’m going to right this long post about how it was and what it’s like to have a crash I should not have lived though. Note I typed all this in a hospital bed with just my left hand!!

Firstly then, the crash. The police has a long conversation with my dad (will be talking to me in the near future) and the long and short of it is the women driver didn’t look in her mirror and cut me up. However there is more to it but does explain how I came off on a nice gentle bend on a duel carriage style way road.

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/resize004andy.jpg

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/resize003andy.jpg

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/resize002andy.jpg

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/resize001andy.jpg

I broke my pelvis 4 times and was one of the worst they have seen. I broke my arm twice (both bones) and 2 ribs and punctured my lung. Also there was lots of bruising mainly on my arse. As mentioned I shouldn’t have lived though it and only did because the bike threw me off before hitting trees. The policeman spoke to my hairdresser who visited me said he’s seen bikes in better condition where the rider died so feel lucky to be here.

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/prefixright_2_2.jpg

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/pelvis_1_1.jpg

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/arm2_2_2.jpg

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/hipwithexfix_1_1.jpg

I woke up in High Dependency Ward and was very drugged up. I had been in recess 7 hours they had put plates in my arm, chest strain in and structure in my pelvis (see pics). I remember in my confusing arguing with the nurse that I wasn’t in hospital and I wanted to walk around to prove it!! Was probably due to low oxygen levels from lung I damaged.

i dont remeber this pic being takenhttps://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~siggi/generalimages/andyhosp.jpg

They kept me on morphine for a few days and the south-east lot saw me when I was on it and White Noise told me the other day when he visited I kept drifting and wasn’t really paying attention to much. By this time I was in a ward for broken bones.

In the first week I was very confused and things like days were a blur. Again this was low oxygen and high power drugs. I also had a capitar suck in my jap’s eye for weeing and was very weird as you don’t know when your weeing or not. When I came out after 3 week I was screaming as was the most painful thing to have removed!!

After about a week maybe week and a half I was less confused and chest strain came out. This was probably when the boredom kicked in. luckily there was a guy in my bay similar ages and was a laugh to talked to and a few of the older guys I got on with but the whole ward was mainly old people which wasn’t so good.

The South-East lot dropped by at various time but I have to say an extra thanks to siggi who visited me a number of time and always made sure I had enough sweets and magazines to pass the time with. Also we were had KFC which was good. My college friends and family and girlfriend came which was good as well.

Constipation is probably half the pain I suffered while here. I been 4 times in 25days but the third time doesn’t count as was like nothing. The pills block you up and its torture. I tried to come off the pills but the pain returned so had to go back on them. The only way to go is to pile it up so you’re dying to go and have non-oral pill given if you catch my drift and hold them in 20-30mins. This 20-30 mins is torture and makes it 10x worse!! It does the job and the feeling afterwards is heavenly!!

As time went on I started to get much better. I was used to being in hospital and all the days seemed the same. As I didn’t have my laptop I was reading a lot read almost 2 books, the first in 4-5 days. I also listened to the radio a lot while I was here and a part from shows such as Annie Mac and Zane Lowe, the daytime music is very repetitive on radio 1.

Just under 2 week in hospital they get me a wheelchair, what a result!! But we soon realise its completely wrong one and I need one I can push myself, had reclinable back and few other things. So I waited, and waited. After 4 missed promised times for it to be here I asked the physio to try the chair that was wrong as a temporary measure and to both of our surprise I was able to sit in it for about 30-40mins before got too painful. This was my ticket home and decided to tell them I was leaving after 3 ½ weeks. I didn’t go down all that well but by this point I was desperate to leave as so bored.

After 3 weeks also I was sitting in bed as you do in hospital and 4 doctors came round my bed, in was quite worried as this is not normal and the oldest one goes,
“We are going to stand you up Andy” which is a great surprise as physio didn’t say anything about this so questioned him a lot but after a while I did and stood up. Was very weird and didn’t hurt at all and was chuffed I was able to stand after just 3 weeks. This also meant the x-fix (pelvis structure) wouldn’t have to be on 12 week like they said at first as its going to get in the way “romantically” when I’m a bit more mobile.

4 days after this I got onto crutches. This was very weird and was able to walk a small way but my legs were very achy and felt like I hadn’t walked for 3 year not 3 weeks!!! But I did it and was proud of myself as was quite hard to keep balanced. This was the same day I left hospital.

The rest of the stay was very uneventful but was made funnier but Davo’s photos of the accident and also I got my x-rays of a doctor so showing people was fun! I still can’t believe how I managed to survive and if rear wheel had go up the curb and not slide on the base I would have gone in the trees. I think I appreciate life more now Thumbs Up

So the day came to leave hospital and felt very weird knowing I was going. Siggi came at lunch and I went to the relatives room and ate KFC with him which he kindly brought me and it was heavenly. Just as we were finishing my Girlfriend (who hates KFC Sad ) and my best friend and was very nice not sitting in bed for a change. I was in high spirits at this point and all sat talking about various things. Siggi went after a bit and my dad came at 5pm and we packed everything away and were away by 6pm when we got my drugs.

The drive home was painful with all the bumps and I choose to go past the accident site which damped my good mood but I had to see it for myself. The drive was weird and I felt I was on edge a lot and think I may have lost some of my road confidence which I hope I regain quickly.

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/PICT0052.jpg

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/PICT0054.jpg

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/PICT0053.jpg

When I got home I was happy but felt quite depressed as just reminded me of my bike and how much I loved my bike and how I was before the crash. Was great being around my family and this has definitely brought us closer as they knew it was near fatal as well. I slept without sleeping tablets for first night in about 6 nights as took them due to noisy people in my bay at hospital and was giving some to take but feel I get addicted to them if I take them all the time Thumbs Down .

The night was good but painful, I was on a air mattress in hospital which they wouldn’t let me take home and woke up in agony due to bed being much harder and we are trying to get me a special air bed and nice and soft.

When I get better I think I’m going to buy an old Thundercat as be fun to sample a IL4 600 even though I think ill prefer the V-Twin delivery of power but I cant afford another SV even though I wasn’t my fault that the accident happened. I will miss being able to keep up with the South-East lot on a bike that was way down on BHP (although lots of torque) and will differently miss that sound it made Sad . Even if I could get another SV I don’t think I would I my one was perfect with all the stuff I wanted on it and another just wouldn’t compare to it Thumbs Down I loved that bike.

Its also been quite strange how the guys I ride with have now met my family and some of my friends and never thought that would happen, my brother said that when he got to the hospital my mum was in a room full of bikers and was quite funny to see I’m sure. My mum said it was quite comforting because she thought id only broken my arm and was taking me home and when she got to the hospital they told her my state.

I just read my crash thread and there are a few of the south-east visits I cant remember at all and in fact I don’t remember Siggi taking that pic of me of ever had in my arm held up like it is in the pic. I must have been off my face still. I remember most after I came off the morphine though Thumbs Up .

Even though I’ve suffered a lot I don’t think I could be put off bike as I just love them too much. Some people think I’m crazy but I just have to get back on one!

https://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d20/andy13_uk/PICT0117.jpg

If you found this fun to read and enjoy cool scar pics, then read about my Hospital visit and see the cool scars on my arm Shocked have such a collection now!!! Its HERE

Last edited by Andy C on 14:30 - 18 May 2006; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

minesweeper
Whoah there!

PostPosted: 18:36 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on surviving *tips hat to you*
and very well done on planning getting back on bikes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Mate, that has got to be the first time I've seen an account of a crash, and also felt for the bike. Ouch!

Glad you are still with us. Hats off to you. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 18:40 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you're well on the road to recovery. You'll be up and about in no time mate.

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 18:43 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see your back at home, cool post Thumbs Up
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV

Silver
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report. Hope you're up and about soon.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow those Xrays made me shudder (and I'm not squeamish at all)

Was thinking we could buy you tarty anodised bits for your funky frame ...but looks liek you already got em Neutral

Speedy recovery dude,
take it easy Cool

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you are finally home and are okay, but did you have to show us your twig and berries? Embarassed

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/pelvis_1_1.jpg

Keep yer chin up mate Thumbs Up Wink

DucatiEVO
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:07 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, loving that 'bling' holding ya pelvis, even anodized blue - wicked! Cool

Glad to see your home and looking forward to biking once more! Thumbs Up

Blunet600
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:21 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly mate i wish you well that crash looked seriously fucked up, although i am a little confused with how it happened, and hwo the biek got that totalled. and 2nd well done for writing a post as long as that. it was looooooooooooooooong.
best wishes dude.

brooky
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:23 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great to see you're recovering well. Hopefully it wont be too long before you're back to 100% and then back on a bike.

I admire you for not giving up on bikes and I hope that if something was to ever happen to me *touch wood* then I would have the same courage to get back on something I love.

Reading something like this makes me understand why my mum is so worried about me when I tell her I'm going out, she knows what its like to lose someone from a bike accident and I reckon that always plays in her mind.

I think only going through something like you have makes you value life like you should do.

Get well soon mate Thumbs Up

Brooky

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch

PostPosted: 19:23 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome read Andy!

Very impressed you're still goin strong mate much respect. I'll get some pics back on my thread to try and get a smile on ya face so pop in every now and then Wink

Those x rays are interesting and really show how much you got knocked about, by the way i'm curious, what protective gear were you wearing?

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 19:29 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work fella, won't be long before you're up and about properly.

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done for gettin through it all Andy Thumbs Up

PS, edit your your meat n 2 veg out the pic, put me off me Jaffa cakes:P

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 19:52 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

might i suggest a nice bike which is currently for sale andy Smile

good to see you healing up nicely
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

niff5855
Sausage Boy

PostPosted: 20:06 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuckin OUCH !!!

Get well soon.

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:12 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great writeup Andy, all the best Thumbs Up

silent
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:14 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know you but good to see you up and about again...well ish...

Are you going to get a payout from the driver that cut you up? would be good to get some kind of compensation out of them if it was indeed their driving that had you off!

Regards

Andy

The View Askew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hats have officialy left the building Mr. Green Thumbs Up

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:22 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have taken you hours to write that with one hand.

Hope you get better soon but something like that would put me off bikes (a sign)

On a side note, WTFFFFF are those two people in the picture doing?

damnas
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:22 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know you either, but it's good to see you've come out of the crash in one piece, and on the mend!

All the best.

We're the weeeeest stand, we're the weeeeest stand, we're the west stand Highbury! *sheds tear*

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 20:25 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

EllioTT_GiXXeR wrote:

On a side note, WTFFFFF are those two people in the picture doing?

You mean Michael J and a very helpful woman keeping Andy calm in the moments after the crash?

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thundercat - You Know You Want It. Laughing Wink

Great to see you in decent spirits, with your pelvis bling albeit.

Hope to see you after the MayDay Run. Smile Thumbs Up

byke95
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Glad to hear that you are finally home and are okay, but did you have to show us your twig and berries? Embarassed

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/pelvis_1_1.jpg

Keep yer chin up mate Thumbs Up Wink

Laughing

Wrong 'twig', look again but to the right and up a little...

Glad to hear you're on the mend, keep up the good work! Thumbs Up Karma

CoronaBoner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 27 Apr 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see your back home and that the experience has not put you off bikes.

Speedy recovery.

Thumbs Up

Cluck cluck chicken
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6