BCF: Bike Chat Forums

PROJECT: Spank the Monkey ***On the road but not happy***

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 18:48 - 20 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, i guess the race can should help with that. I just had a look at your old thread about £550 delivered!! i may not have a garage next academic year and think this would be perfect to get around bath on.

one thing though, the 57km/h top speed seems slow to say the least, do they not do a 150cc one?

Love what you have done with it though Thumbs Up

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 20 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike is fine in and around town but the long straight A roads are a little tiresome, 57kmph seems slow but it keeps up with traffic and manages to overtake the odd scooter.

Nothing like embarrassing a chav whilst on a kids toy Laughing

You can buy a 124cc engine off of eBay for £100 or so pounds. Its a Lifan, but should be interchangeable and should give a few more bhp.

The rear sprocket is 37 teeth and was surprised that you can get ones that have 28 or even 45, so its possible to make things a little more interesting.

I said it on many an occasion, its just a fun bike to ride.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 25 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a very happy chappy at having to wait for the chain that seemed like it'd never be delivered it was collected yesterday by myself.

Had a little heart sinking feeling at the chain being too long and the chain splitter that I bought breaking, I have just managed to grind the pins out and it fits.

The chain will need adjusting as its a little loose, and eventually I will need a chain guard as it is very close to the swingarm and has left a nice big smear of chain wax over the top edge.

The bike is running a little lean me thinks as it seems to back fire and pop like a trooper when the throttle is applied and bogs down a little at first. Not sure whether this is me being ham fisted with the right hand or the clutch cable being tight or who knows Laughing

Went for a quick spin with the number plate just cable tied anywhere as it fouls the rear wheel being the size it is, and off on the roads I went.

Only planned on going round the block to see whats what. The rear shock seems fine and just as bouncy as the previous twins and I'm sure that the longer rear prevented the front from raising as much.

The tyres were a little flat and then I noticed the next real thing to do on the snagging sheet. An oil leak!!

The oil was leaking from the clutch cover as I may of overfilled when I replaced the oil and this now splashes all over the nice and hot downpipes.

But it also looks like its coming from either the sump plug or a seem in the sump itself.

Anyways, that done the bike is running again and I managed to make a few more people smile and point when on it.

A quick test run up and down as not quite sure where to put the camera being my mums and all, so left in my cars roof it was Laughing

https://img.youtube.com/vi/gFFIWjBjo7s/default.jpg

I still have other ideas for the bike Wink

jimbothe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 25 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds very meaty for the size of it Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rainer
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 25 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, nice exhaust Very Happy Same as mine (see my post "My first bike"). I think it looks really nice. You've done a good job, sounds similar to mine also.

Hope you enjoy it Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 26 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually sounds so nice!

But where are the "funky" leathers? Crying or Very sad
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 03 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the snagging has started and its causing a little head scratching.

Arrow Oil leak
When the bike was first running after the rebuild I noticed that some oil was dripping out of the right hand clutch cover. It hadn't been touched when the bike was stripped and wasn't leaking beforehand so not sure?

On the first few runs the bike also smoked like a trooper as this oil was dripping on the exhaust making stopping at traffic lights funny to say the least. On closer inspection it looks like the sump plug was oozing as well.

Today when I changed the sump plugs metal washer to a rubber O ring I allowed a few 100ml to drain out as maybe the excess amount of oil was forcing pressure on the clutch cover? This seems to have helped a little, but the drips continue and actually looks like that the seals in the casings are leaking.

If the leaks were from a gasket then I'd change the gasket, but when the 'engine' starts leaking??????

Arrow Running lean
Went for a spin today despite it looking like Del Boys three wheeler with the amount of burnt oil coming from the bike and it handled and accelerated like a pig. Its not unexpected that putting an after market filter and race system on makes the bike accelerate like a 3 legged donkey but with a little tinkering with the idle speed adjustment on the carbs the bike seems to have the returned to being very perky.

The wife said that she could hear the bike from a fair distance and mentioned that it popped quite a lot on the overrun so I wonder if there flames to match Thinking

Arrow Loose chain
I originally started with a 112 link chain and found that I needed to remove 10 links to fit the swingarm but this seemed far to loose. This may have been what was causing the bike to be a little juddery when riding, so with the rear wheel moved as far forward as possible it seemed that 2 more links were to be removed.

Out came the drill and grinding stones again Rolling Eyes 20 minutes later and some heavy blows with a screwdriver and hammer the chain links were removed and the rear wheel adjusted to make the chain fit correctly.

Arrow Petrol leak
The engine casing has some strange tarnish as if something has been spilt on it and running my hands around the tank theres a petrol residue? I hope that I'm wrong, but the welds on the tank may be leaking and dripping down the frame, onto the engine and affecting the lacquer.

All in all I was little pissed off with the bike at not being able to find the cause of the leak so ended up doing dome burnouts Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/p1010001_116.jpg

I feel really guilty at spending money on the bike to not have it running right at this stage, but I suspect in the long run that a new engine may be the best bet.

Jack_Cheese
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 11 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the link for you, WTD Thumbs Up linky
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 217 days between these two posts...

photographics...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:15 - 16 Jun 2008    Post subject: Any updates? Reply with quote

Hi Whosethedaddy, any chance that you can update this with some ideas of how it motors along now that everything has been done.

I am totally intrigued by these little diddy bikes. I seriously want a Monkey for kicks and giggles. I normally ride bigger bikes and am loathe to admit I own a large err BMW, and happily admit to a yamaha XT600, which are my serious bikes.
ut with a reduced commute I wanted something that could get me 8 miles to work on 30-50MPH roads sort of once a week on a good day. It should be for fun and I could also use it for messing around offroad on with my neice and nephew as well (7 years old)

So just digging around for ideas as to what people think of them. and what are necessary upgrades:
please bare in mind that thios is just a fun bike and I am not prepared to spend much more than £600 on it.
1> I have pretty much resigned to the fact that a new exhaust is on the books.
2> On the engine side, do I "rebore kit" to 85cc or buy a 110 engine? Ineed the bike to go 50MPH with 220lbs
3> What braking needs are necessary for the increased engine capacity, I was looking at the MBUK cheapest disc brake fork kit
4> Do I buy a new/ish chinese 110cc bike or do I buuy a banger and refurbish and upgrade?

I have no problem doing the work myself, but its important for me to keep costs down to something sensible for what it is.

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 17 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a while to get the fueling right by adjusting the carb needle and it started running sweet as, well up to 45.9mph flat out according to the GPS. I managed to stop an annoying little oil leek by some instant gasket under the edge of the clutch cover.

The last time I was on the monkey was when I went off road for the first time.

https://w3.bikepics.com/pics/2008%5C01%5C25%5Cbikepics-1159821-800.jpg

I would have been using it more but the brake light is on all the time despite me trying all different positions of the bulb. I suspect its a wiring problem or blown fuse maybe as its all or nothing? This coupled with the fact that I lost the front brake with an in garage burn out AGAIN and rammed it under the work bench mashing up the wing mirrors.

The petrol tank edge or rim is leaking????

Strange problems as not the usual Chinese bike problems.

It would be an easy fix but not had time or spare cash to sort outs o its just sitting in the garage unused...the wife's doing her CBT so maybe, just maybe she'll get monkey fever?

For an in town or city commute they are ideal and fun, cheap and very different.

Upgrades, MBUK are the people to talk to rather than the cheaper performance websites.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 17 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:

I would have been using it more but the brake light is on all the time despite me trying all different positions of the bulb.

Check the bulb itself. I had this on a Bandit; turned out the cheapo bulb was a dud and the two filaments inside were touching and creating a circuit. Rolling Eyes

Of course, I only checked the simplest thing after removing teh whole back-end and testing all connectors.. Grrr. Doh!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 318 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3