Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Student Housing and Heating Efficiently

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 12:39 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Student Housing and Heating Efficiently Reply with quote

Hi,

Heating of houses is not something that i know much about so was hoping someone could help answer a dilemma i have.

My girlfriend lives with 3 other girls and they recently decided to change how they heated the house. Before, they (like i do) kept the heating on for ~3hours at different points of the day when they felt it was needed (on a timer) with the radiators turned to full so full flow rate running though them.

Now, one of her flat mates is claiming that turning the flow rates of the radiator valves to a lower setting and keeping the boiler on 24/7 keeps the house hotting cheaply as no "wasted energy" when the boiler is heating up.

Whereas i believe that yes you do have energy wasted when the boiler is heating up but this is more than made up for by the amount of energy saved when the boiler is off. The house does not have a working thermostat and so i believe this is a very expensive way of heating a house.

I spoke to her this morning and she was adamant im wrong so was hoping that someone could discuss in more detail whether i am or not and some good energy saving links and how would be the best way to keep the house warm and using the least energy.

Karma to anyone that can help as lot of tension in her house at the moment.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:41 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

We was told to have the heating on for 12 hours a day with the boiler on low as it saves you having to heat up the house all the time.

Sounds plausible to me and I fail to see how over 3 hours you can heat up a house.

Not ours anyway, took us 3 days to get our large 6 bedroomed victorian house to get warm.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 12:48 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon B wrote:
Sounds plausible to me and I fail to see how over 3 hours you can heat up a house.

Not ours anyway, took us 3 days to get our large 6 bedroomed victorian house to get warm.

True, we find that in the day at the moment we dont need all that much heating on.

Thing is, this has made the house really hot all the time which however you heat it must be costing a fortune.

Also, im not so sure this approach will work if there is not a thermostat in the house so that the boiler turns off after x degrees? as boiler would just stay on the whole time surely?

Stevep
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:43 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thermostat only controls the area in which it is positioned so if in a drafty corridor it is more use than a chocolate fireguard wheras room thermostatic valves control each radiator and as and when they detect the room is warm enough they turn each radiator off dependant on what number you set them on. However one radiator normally the bathroom will not have a thermostatic valve this is your wild radiator and it is there to stop your boiler overheating as it always has somewhere to dump the excess heat
Turnong all the others down to 1 or 2 is more economical than 4 or 5 3 hour full blast sessions Sorry mate the Girl is right

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 13:57 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevep wrote:
A thermostat only controls the area in which it is positioned so if in a drafty corridor it is more use than a chocolate fireguard wheras room thermostatic valves control each radiator and as and when they detect the room is warm enough they

So you are saying that each radiator has a thermostat on it and so it not a flow rate adjuster? If this is the case when when all are hot enough will the boiler turn itself off? as being a gas boiler surely it will still keep using gas wastefully?

Quote:
However one radiator normally the bathroom will not have a thermostatic valve this is your wild radiator and it is there to stop your boiler overheating as it always has somewhere to dump the excess heat
Turnong all the others down to 1 or 2 is more economical than 4 or 5 3 hour full blast sessions Sorry mate the Girl is right

That would make sense, does anyone have any guides on how to heat your house? i cant find any!

Stevep
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:53 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the radiators have thermostatic valves they are easy to tell they are large valves with numbers or roman numerals on them and have big heads these turn off or slow the water flow down when it sences the room is warm enough slower water flow means boiler reaches optimum temp and turns off till it cools a little then it ticks over cycling therefore using less energy than if heating everything from cold

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours is on 24/7 with the boiler stat set at its lowest setting and the house in lovely and warm, even over that could snap we had a week ago. As to cost, well its cheaper than having the heating coming on then going off then on again.
Main reason is i got sick of getting up in the cold at 06:00.......

All our rads have stats on them, only the bathroom is set to max and we do not have any other stats.
Just check that your boiler has a heat setting on it and that way it turns itself off when the return water is hot enough.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 20:44 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
All our rads have stats on them, only the bathroom is set to max and we do not have any other stats.
Just check that your boiler has a heat setting on it and that way it turns itself off when the return water is hot enough.

Yea i think i need to have a look as this as went in earlier and was a furnace but no one was even in the house!! I reckon if it could be turned to a lower setting a happy medium can be found. (boiler in the garage and their flatmate with the key is away for weekend Rolling Eyes)

Also, like jon said maybe keep it on at low 10 hours a day as personally i find it nice and warm most days at the moment.

scorps
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 24 Feb 2008    Post subject: . Reply with quote

we also have our heating on 24/7 on the lowest setting, makes more sense.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 02:00 - 25 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

Put a jumper on, it's well cheap Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 16 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1