Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Potential Project: GPX400R

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Thom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 02 Nov 2008    Post subject: Potential Project: GPX400R Reply with quote

https://i34.tinypic.com/2mzmwkn.jpg

After recently buying the above bike (sorry i'm using the eBay image, i haven't gotten any decent ones yet) i'm wondering that seeing as i got it so cheap what i should actually do with it.

In my mind i have four options:
1) Sell it now and make a profit of between £300 and £600
2) Ride it until summer and sell it before i go to uni to fund a sports tourer, better suited to the 350mile motorway journey.
3) Customise it with USD's and other performance parts to create a one off sports 400
4) Ride it and keep it until it begins to appreciate as the GPZ models are.

I bought the bike for £400, its almost mint, therefore everyone reckons theres an easy profit to be made, but im in no hurry for the money to be honest. It only has 31000km as well so its fairly low mileage.

As im not desperate for the money im tempted to play on it for a year (including through winter) and sell it just before i go to uni in favour of a VFR750/800, giving me the apportunity to save up for the bigger bike.

But im tempted to customise it as it's already a very nice bike i feel the only thing letting it down are it's exhaust system and front forks.

Then again, its one of very few GPX400's. It was the bike which apparantly inspired the ZZR and ZXR's and also it's bigger brothers the gpx600 and gpx750 are gradually increasing in value if you can find a good example. Very few 400's were made so maybe theres money to be had until it's truely a classic, considering i can happily store this for as long as i wish.

Im tempted to do either the keep it until summer or customise it, but i dont want to ruin its value by binning it or tarting it up.

What dya think?
Previous Bikes: 1990 Honda NSR125 'Rothmans' (The smoking one), 1990 Suzuki GS500e 'Caf? fighter' (The loud one), 1987 Kawasaki GPX400r (The quick one), 1997 XJ600s Diversion (The reliable one), 2000 Kawasaki ER-5 (The spontaneously combustive one)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

torpedo
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 02 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep it standard i reckon. not worth messing with a good example.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 02 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it standard and muck around on it for a while, I doubt the resale value of that will go down in a year, its already a classic.

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Thom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 03 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this is gunna be what i do then!

Today i got some more snaps and showed a bike dealer whos a mate of mine, He offered me a straight £1100 as he collects 80's/90's 400's.

Im keeping it but i was impressed with that price!
Previous Bikes: 1990 Honda NSR125 'Rothmans' (The smoking one), 1990 Suzuki GS500e 'Caf? fighter' (The loud one), 1987 Kawasaki GPX400r (The quick one), 1997 XJ600s Diversion (The reliable one), 2000 Kawasaki ER-5 (The spontaneously combustive one)

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 20:52 - 03 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want a better exhaust motad do a stainless thingyou could bung on, looks better than the origional.

i bought one about 3 weeks ago, its turning into a streetfighter mainly due to the damage to fairings, and the fact i like tubular frames, and its got a nice shiney exhaust.

have you had a look about insurance yet. expencive or not? compared to other 400's

Thom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 03 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love a fighter but ive decided this thing is a beaut and after being offered such a large amount as apposed to what i paid its staying 100% original until next summer when i need a sports tourer.

The insurance is good, with it being a classic and quite rare. only £400 TPFT with 1 years NCB

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 04:31 - 04 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd flog it for 1100.

tutton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 04 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too,
Especially if your going to be riding it around in the Salt/winter conditions now, best wash it like every ride and that.

ms51ves3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 04 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I'd flog it for 1100.

+1

It's an easy £700 and then you can buy another winter hack that was essentially free.

Thom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must admit im very much tempted but considering i dont ride much anyway im wondering if it will sell for much more next summer...

i mean, if i sold this for £1100 now i could put another £700 towards it and get a viffer 800, tempting....

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 05 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id sell it, and im a bit of a GPZ/GPX nut at the moment. Laughing

*goes back to pondering 1100 engine for the gpz750*

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Thom
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
Id sell it, and im a bit of a GPZ/GPX nut at the moment. Laughing

*goes back to pondering 1100 engine for the gpz750*

Cheers
John

GPX obviously the nicer bike Razz Mr. Green

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 13:29 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is mine as of now, anyone have any ideas on how to raise the rear a bit, i dont like the seat hight.

[img][/img]

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 13:32 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, the image didnt attach. fail.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1