Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pup-Project: Honda CB125TD-C; Resto & Beyond...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:21 - 30 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob yarrr wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

why do I have an image of the pair of you stood one each side of the bike, kicking it at each other off the stand!

you imagine right,with alot of swearing involved aswell haha

I think Swearing comes with biking.................. its in the high way code I reckon or the Haynes manual
TheSmiler: binning it is better than going around a roundabout the wrong way
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

badas
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:28 - 30 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats on finally getting it started Wink

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:58 - 30 Apr 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damon wrote:
Looking great! That poor poor starter motor Mr. Green

Blurredman wrote:
Do they not have kick-start at all then?.

Curiousely not. {Thank GAWD! I think I'd have been pondering building a pair of rollers if it wasn't!}
Original 125 Twin, from 77 to 82 was kick start only, but they never fitted kick start to the Super Dream, it was e-start only from the beginning in '82.
The Benley, got e-start earlier, but didn't loose its kicker, until quite late. CG, didn't get e-start until very late, and kept its kicker along side for a long while.
But no, the 125 Super Dream was, one of the earliest 125's to get an electric boot, and was completely relient on it!
Simple and rugged little arrangement. Motor sits infront of the crank case. No solenoid or engagement dogs or anything, just a sproket on the end of the shaft and a bicycle chain to a sproket on the crank with a bicycle type freewheel rather than a clutch, seperate solenoid under the seat, high amp cable from battery.
They are pretty reliable... but we do have spares!
badas wrote:
congrats on finally getting it started Wink

That vid, all 14 minutes of it..... is the 'highlights' of a weeks head scratching!
The wiring loom has been a painstaking project in its own right, and the ignition circuits had to be messed around with for the imobiliser.
So 'sparks' were tested in the living room....
Here in lies a 'Dowh" moment.
Bike was stood behind the settee, facing the kitchen door.
When testing sparks, I pulled the left hand spark plug.... it was the one we could get at!
While doing "Does it work Doesn't it" on the wrigglies... didn't need to be any more thorough.....
Only ponder we had was which wire fed which coil.... but that was something we'd find out when we came to start it.... if it dont go, simply swap the feeds and try again!
Engine had been running when we got the bike..... roughly.... but it ran! and apart from painting it, and setting the cam chain tension and tappets, its been pretty much left alone.
we didn't know WHY it was running badly when we got it, but holes in the exhaust wouldn't have helped, niether would rather warped and perished carburettor rubbers!
Anyway an awful lot of that effing about whining the starter was testing the sparks, and suck on the carbs, and 'stuff'.
And initial investigations were all looking at the carbs, which Snowie had 'just' fitted, and were the main worry, becouse we couldn't get hold of new rubbers or carb overhaul kit, so they had simply been cleaned up as best as, and put back together with home made gaskets, and the old rubbers glued and glooped up to try and get a decent seal.
Much head scratching and back to the idea of swapping the ignition feeds, and then with still no joy, actually thought to test teh sparks against the head and actually SEE if they were sparking!
which was when we dscovered we were only getting one, weak spark!
SO..... doing the simple and obviouse first...... swapped the CDis left to right, swapped coils left to right, then started chasing the actual wires dong continuity & isolation tests with the multi meter!
working RIGHT the way back through the system, eliminating each component in turn, isolating the imobiliser circuit, the ignition switch etc..... we narrowed it down to a duff pick up.
So, Snowie did resistance measurements of both pickups, and both were identical. and not just that, they were identical to teh resistances of the pickups on the spare genny cover AND the pickups in teh Corporal.
At WHICH point, Snowie took the Genny cover off and tried the spare, and STILL we had only one spark.
which meant it HAD to be something to do with pick up alignment, and I was RATHER worried it might be something rather seriosue like a bent crank, and the rotor turning eccentric or sometheing...
So we spread plasticine over the pickups, and put the cover back on, and worked the rotor around slowly by hand.
when we removed the cover, plasticine had been smeared away where the rotor's trigger had passed....
Was completely missing the lower pick up!
Lying down under the bike....... Snowie discovered that there was a location dowl in one of the lower holes, only it was rather 'mangled'.....
Problem SOLVED!
Rotor cover wasn't aligning on the mangled dowel that was holding it a mm or so away from the crank case, so the whole case was sitting skew and the rotor missing that pick up.
Pair of mole grips, and five minutes wriggling, and the dowel was out, and carefully aligning the casing, and JOY we had sparks!
And the bike fired up almost straight away!
Only it was idling at about 6K rmp, and not very happy!
BACK to those carbs, and the erroniouse and unavailable rubbers.... and while I was investigating the manifiolds for CG125s and pit bikes and comparing the stud paterns to see if we could make a substitution....
Snowie went out and STOLE the whole ruddy carburettor assemblies of one of MY bikes, and fired the bugger up!
However, cunning plan is when she's past test, to do a motor rebuild, and fit bigger barels and CB200 pistons to hog it out to 198cc, and a hotter cam, from the 'full power' euro spec 125, to get we hope, something in the order of 20+bhp.
That, if it happens, even if only in part, by way of bored out Benley barels, or the cam, its likely to up the power to over 17bhp, which is what the 'full power' CB125 made, and had 26mm carbs for, rather then the 'Reduced Effect' UK model's 24's, so bigger carbs would be on the cards anyway.
So, pending that mini project, the 'Super-Duper-Dream', its not a big worry for the moment. If it happens we'll get new carbs and inlets to suit the tuned engine, and then the ones of my bike can be put back there..... CANT THEY DEAR!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

moodyedge
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:22 - 04 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been into cars for years...own a jdm honda and etc etc...well Ive always had a thing for bikes and never actually owned one..parents were the type that always said......no way are you gettng a bike....so i did daft things on push bikes instead (trials riding)...broke them a lot....luckily didnt break myself.

anyway my question is after looking at this restoration thread, can I pickup the knowledge required to do my own rebuild through the use of the internet and maybe a few books? For the record, I have zero mechanical knowledge but have common sense if that counts for anything and have always like messing with bikes....of the pedal variety. I really want to learn how they work, how to take them appart and how to fix them back up so....Can anybody suggest the perfect first cheap (make that dirt cheap) bike to do this with?

I want to get my own custom cruiser one day but until then Id like to get into them in whatever way I can, however small.

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:16 - 04 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

moodyedge wrote:
Ive been into cars for years...own a jdm honda and etc etc...well Ive always had a thing for bikes and never actually owned one..parents were the type that always said......no way are you gettng a bike....so i did daft things on push bikes instead (trials riding)...broke them a lot....luckily didnt break myself.

anyway my question is after looking at this restoration thread, can I pickup the knowledge required to do my own rebuild through the use of the internet and maybe a few books? For the record, I have zero mechanical knowledge but have common sense if that counts for anything and have always like messing with bikes....of the pedal variety. I really want to learn how they work, how to take them appart and how to fix them back up so....Can anybody suggest the perfect first cheap (make that dirt cheap) bike to do this with?

I want to get my own custom cruiser one day but until then Id like to get into them in whatever way I can, however small.
Cheers.

Well, before the net, we started out with an old junker of a bike, some rusty witworth spanners found in a buscuit tin in the shed, a few bendy cycle spanners, and if we were lucky, a Haynes manual.... if we were REALY lucky, it was actually for a motorbike! If were were INCEREDIBLY LUCKY it was fo rthe junker of a motorbike we actually were muggering about with!

The net just puts SO much expertise at your fingertips!

Could you do it? I have no idea. Takes more than a good idea and a little know how. Takes money. how cheap is 'cheap'? to you?

This little renovation project has just topped the £2K mark....

Pick your bike carefully, do the right stuff, the right way, put money only where its needed, you can create something useful, and pretty special, more reasonably, but dont kid yourself you can do it 'cheaply' or that you can do it for less than you could buy a bike that was already running, road worthy, taxed tested and streetable..... bike you bult would HOPEFULLY be in better condition, be tidier, more the way you want it, and hopefully a bit more reliable.... but, unlikely to cost you less to get there.

What to look for?

Depends what you want to do with it.

If you want to learn to ride, and get a full licence, save your money, take a course, get licence. Build a 'big' bike for when you can ride it.

Little bikes rarely have many fewer parts, and they are rarely much cheaper than on bigger bikes, so ecconomically, you'll get more machine for your money, looking bigger. And they are hardly any more work to do, depending on what you choose.

If you want to stand some chance of it being ecconomicaly viable if you sell it.... choose something expensive, popular and saleable.

If you want something really basic to cut your teeth on... twin shock rear suspension, and a simple single or twin cylinder engine, preferably an air cooled two stroke. But something with plenty of support.

There are few bikes that tick ALL the boxes... the CB125 Super Dream, Snowie has been building here, ticks virtually NONE!

My DT125, ticks a lot. Air cooled, single cylinder, two stroke. Well supported, you can still get an awful lot of parts. Fairly valuable when 'done' Only niggle is its a mono-shock, which means more expensive damper unit, but simple cantilever, no complicated linkage to rebush.....

There are others you could go for, but REALLY its a completely open question.... and you have to start with what takes your fancy, and look into it.

But, basically, how much it costs depends on how diligent you are, how ingeniouse you can be, and what standard you aim for.

You CAN do projects on a budget, and does give the option to stretch them out, and pay as you go.... but does take effort to keep the momentum rolling, and THAT is the biggest thing with projects.... gettin them, starting them, finding the money, with a lot of initial enthusiasm, is VERY very easy....

To see it through, takes a kind of perverse dedication, becouse it WILL get tough, things will get on top of you, there is an AWFUL lot of elbow grease and boring fiffing faffing frustrating little stuff that will vex infuriate and disenchant you..... and its batting through them all, keeping an eye on the objective to see it through, that gets it done, and THAT is where the reward is, not in the doing, not in the riding, not in the looking at, but the shear joy of just seeng it through, and something you have created with your own hands come back from teh dead.

Go for it.....

moodyedge
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:53 - 04 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, it does appeal to me but I think I might get out of my depth pretty quick pulling engines and gearboxes appart...so I dont know....When you say something bigger, do you mean over 125cc? Id like to get a licence but Im in no rush as it costs money.....from my initial research around £700 which is a shit load for me really. If I tarted a bike up and could maybe use it or sell it.....I could sell my car which Ive had for around 8 months....its my dream cxar so not sure how that would go down...but anyway. I will keep hitting google searches etc and see where it takes me. A bike for a few hundred and spend a few hundred on it is what I was thinking...something to just get my hands on and make better. Im not sure its a reaslistic or achievable goal......I have an interest but interest without knowledge is like...well anyway.

I was thinking something japanese because I love jap cars, maybe an 80s model, simple, cheap and a bit tatty that runs would maybe be a good idea so I can take it to bits clean it....do some spraying etc....replace a few parts...brakes etc.....and leave the big stuff like engines alone....

something that looks classic/cruiser-esque

Not sure how much stuff like that goes for so thats the first job....ebay watching.

cheers.

Last edited by moodyedge on 23:36 - 04 May 2011; edited 5 times in total

LongJohn22
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:20 - 04 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ideas are quite sound, as long as you take your time. If you take your time, it's quite possible you can pick up a cheap, tatty runner. Be careful though, there are still a few rogues out there who might sell you a pup(no offence, Mike), you should seek help from someone with at least a little knowledge to check for potential major snags, then set to work. Know your budget, and spend only what you can afford on parts, when you have the money. In between times, you can do the labour intensive bits, rubbing down, de-rusting and so on. The secret is not to hurry, if you're unsure of something, you could do worse than post it on here or the Workshop section, you will find there are plenty of very knowledgable and helpful people here who are quite willing to give you the benefit of their collective experience. Better still, turn it into a show-and-tell with plenty of piccies and a whole load of people will get involved, however it goes, good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 04:37 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

LongJohn22 wrote:
Your ideas are quite sound, as long as you take your time. If you take your time, it's quite possible you can pick up a cheap, tatty runner. Be careful though, there are still a few rogues out there who might sell you a pup(no offence, Mike), you should seek help from someone with at least a little knowledge to check for potential major snags, then set to work. Know your budget, and spend only what you can afford on parts, when you have the money. In between times, you can do the labour intensive bits, rubbing down, de-rusting and so on. The secret is not to hurry, if you're unsure of something, you could do worse than post it on here or the Workshop section, you will find there are plenty of very knowledgable and helpful people here who are quite willing to give you the benefit of their collective experience. Better still, turn it into a show-and-tell with plenty of piccies and a whole load of people will get involved, however it goes, good luck.

I agree with this post,but it wasnt the pup that was the bike that was the problem.(it was the Bike which is now called the heap).....but then again if you wanted to do what Ive done with the pup its cost £1400+ just for parts.....but It is a brand new 25+ year old bike now.....

The brakes cost about £300+
The back suspension was £180

And I haven't even done the engine rebuild yet....

that's waiting till i get my licence.

but ive learnt a lot in the time its took me to do this project...and that was the whole point i choose to do one in the first place.....

but ive already sorted my next project out............

oops better say this quietly.....

went to the Vic on Sunday and there was a moto guzzi v35 with a v50 engine ...........but i think i might look for a minter.......But then again I have 2 years to build the next one.........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 05:03 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
There are few bikes that tick ALL the boxes... the CB125 Super Dream, Snowie has been building here, ticks virtually NONE!

The pup ticked my boxes i wanted a mini Dawg Rolling Eyes

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:45 - 05 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

moodyedge wrote:
Cheers for that, it does appeal to me but I think I might get out of my depth pretty quick pulling engines and gearboxes appart...so I dont know....

THAT is 99% of a project! Its the not knowing, the learning as you go along.
When Snowie started this project, she had a little bit of a head start..... ME (Modest as ever!) I'm hardly new to bikes, or building the bludy things.... but, contrary to popular opinion.... I dont know everything!
And I said before, picking a 'sensible' project base, for a first timer, a Honda CB125 Super Dream is by a long stretch NOT the best place to begin!
Snowie had her own ideas though, AND.... THAT is what project bikes are all about as much as they are the mechanics and the ecconomics! Its about YOUR idea of creating a bike YOU want.
When this project was started, Snowie wanted to get an awful lot out of ONE little bike.
MOST learners want an awful lot more than a 'Learner Bike' can realistically deliver to begin with, but snowies ambitions were even more challenging.
I really didn't see the point, in a bike that practically, has a very finite usefulness, as a training tool to test, before you out grow it.
I originally suggested looking out a Moto-Guzzi V50 for her to 'Do' as a project, becouse, in the balence, just as much work, and in all liklihood, no more expensive, and at the end of it, a bike that she wouldn't outgrow so easily, that on the open market more likely to be worth more of whatever was spent on it. Meanwhile, thought was to find her a conventional 'training tool' by way of a Yamaha YBR or Honda CG125 or something, ready to ride' to get her through her tests, and licenced to ride the Guz, when 'done'.
But, it was Snowie's project......
And, even with my assistance, first stab, I flugged up, and the bike we got for her as a project base was, after being stripped, a total no hoper.
We'd researched the model, I had pretty good idea what to look for, but still got burned.
Wasn't unretrievable, but basically only fit for spares, which is what I have used it for. But big kicker if that had been the be all and end all and Snowie had had to either scrap it entirely and start again (as she did) or try batting through, sourcing another frame and swing arm.
But that's 'projects' they have risk... and you dont buy one anticipating there being NO problems.... you are BUYING problems from the start, and that's half the point, taking on the challenge of over coming those problems.
Two things, first is old bit of advice I was once given, "there's few problems in life that cant be solved with the aplication of large sums of money, so the biggest problem is often merely finding the large sums of money needed to sort a given problem...."
Taking on a project, money can really oil the progress and help keep things moving, and trying to do it TOO cheaply, starting with something that needs more work and attension, just to save £50 or so on the base bike, is often falce ecconomy. as is trying to salvage or repair or plain 'botch' something, when you can buy a part for a few quid in replacement, rather than wasting time effort and frustration, and as often, more money than a replacement part on welding rod, glue, filler, paint, or whatever...
You need to be a little pragmatic, and have to assess whats MOST worth time and effort and whats worth money.
And the other thing, is 'momentum', keeping the project moving. When problems vex you, when stuff doesn't go right, when the project is just grinding, and you dont seem to be making any progress, and there's nothing obviouse, or impressive to show for all your effort... ACTUALLY not loosing heart, and keeping going.

Probably one in TEN 'projects' whether bikes or cars or trikes ever get finished, and probably only one in ten of the ones that do, are finished by the person that started them! And when it comes to first timers, the drop out rate is huge. I know people that will build a trike over a bank holiday weekend, or turn an MOT failed Land Rover Discovery into an MSA registered comp-trials 'buggy' in a week, or who will restore a Triumph Bonaville, in ther shed, working on it after work of an evening, and have it show ready in a couple of months. I know folk that build classic trials bikes, who will pick up a totally rusty barn find, and have it turned out imaculately, competition ready in a couple of weeks... bloke I used to trial with, used to do that... had a different bike every event!

Those folk are 'practiced' they know what they are about, they have done it time and time before, and they find few problems they dont know how to handle, becouse most of them they have met before... and THAT is what helps them see them through...

But for a first timer, its hard work, its ALL new, and it takes a heck of a lot of commitment and deturmination, becouse even the smallest niggles can be really hard to solve, if you have never encountered anything like them before.

BUT... there is NOTHING like teh satisfaction of firing up your FIRST project, and the grin of 'I did that!'

Later Projects, still delight. I am still grinning about the bike I have just put together, and amazed that it all works and passed an MOT, but, first time?!?! THOUSAND times more 'Amazing'.

moodyedge wrote:
When you say something bigger, do you mean over 125cc? Id like to get a licence but Im in no rush as it costs money.....

Yes, over 125... more likely to give you a bike you can get the worth of work out of by actually riding it, as suggested for Snowie, when I suggested her doing a Guzzi.

If you want to ride a bike.... you NEED a licence, ANYWAY... sure you can ride a 125 on L-Plates, but you need to complete a CBT course, which is probably half the cost of getting a licence on its own, and only lasts two years. And the 'Privilidge' of unsupervised L-Plates is merely to allow you to practice FOR your test, NOT so you can avoid doing one.

Yes, costs money, BUT, CBT will be around £90, on top of that you have Theory/Hazard test, Mod 1 Off Road test, and Mod 2 Road test, which together cost £121.50...

Chuck in some training, and from standing start to full licence you are looking at around £300, to DIY on your own 125 (adding bike & running costs, but offset against 'use') or around £600 for a course with hire bike, either 125 or DAS.

Even at £600, that is barely only entry money for a road worthy motorcycle..... and bikes have finite life, and incurr running costs. Licence,once you have it, you have it for life, and it doesn't cost you a penny, but can SAVE you money, becouse you dont have to repeat CBT, insurance premiums are usually cheaper, and bigger bikes often cheaper and better than Learner Legals.

If you want to get on two wheels, plan on getting a licence BEFORE you start worrying about bikes. See plathora of advice in Newby section.

moodyedge wrote:
from my initial research around £700 which is a shit load for me really. If I tarted a bike up and could maybe use it or sell it.....I could sell my car which Ive had for around 8 months....its my dream cxar so not sure how that would go down...but anyway. I will keep hitting google searches etc and see where it takes me. A bike for a few hundred and spend a few hundred on it is what I was thinking...something to just get my hands on and make better. Im not sure its a reaslistic or achievable goal......I have an interest but interest without knowledge is like...well anyway.

OK, taking on a project, you dont want to sell the car.... you WILL need it! Going and collecting the project bike, fetching carrying, running frames to powder coaters, going and getting nuts and bolts from the hardware store or paint from halfords etc... and the transport for other of life's activities, becouse in all probability it will be a LONG time until your project is road worthy, or likely to be out of service for large chunks of time.

Idea of buying a 'cheap' fixer upper, you can ride about, maybe take tests on, and then flog for more than you have spent?

Yeah... that's the idea EVERY Dick and thier Dog has! Believe me, rarely works.

But, optimistic newbies with exactly that idea bouy up the prices of the scrap, sold on e-bay, with suggestion it only needs a pair of £3 fork seals and a bit of elbow grease to make it a 'nice little runner'!

I've been working on a CB125 buyers guide, and collecting e-bay adds for them. Unfortunately my web space is playing up so I cant upload the (half finished) page for you to look at, but I have around twenty or thirty adds in there, of which about HALF are punted with suggestion fo being 'easy fixes', either MOT's roadable bikes with 'niggly little faults' or bikes that 'just need' for MOT. Of probably a dozen adds, I think possibly TWO actually have any real promice.

Even bikes sold as 'roadable', that youd not expect to have to wave a spanner at.... well, Lad on here bought one recently, from add suggesting full and thorough ground up restoration, by an 'old' and he presumed experienced ameteur mechanic.... siezed up on him on the way back from collecting it!

We got the Pup, with suggestion that it 'only needs fork seals', and Snowie has dona lot of stuff that was above and beyond, but no way! That was a £350 bike, and even if we'd cut corners and not completely rebushed teh back suspension, and replaced the shock absorber, or fully rebuilt the brakes.... fork seals, gaiter, fork oil, head race bearings, had the old exhaust welded up, rather than replaced, used second hand bits to sort the suspension, and really done it on teh cheap, she would STILL ended up spending in the region of £800 or so JUST to get it to MOT.

Knock off the buy price, and that gives you an idea, take away the inflated price of learner legal scrap, and you'd STILL struggle to turn a 'typical' fixer upper into a roadable bike, for less than you could buy a rpadable example for.

With £700, as a complete budget? Tough call. That is enough to get you into a LOT of trouble.

Personally, I'd say, if that is what you have to play with.... dont plan a project. It's JUST enough to get you a budget 125. Pick a sensible one, and buy as good as you can get.
Get tax and insurance on it, book your CBT, work towars your licence, and use the bike as a training tool, to learn to ride, and to familiarise yourself with bikes, and thier mechanics, doing the basic maintenence.

Once you have your licence, THEN think about a project, and ponder doing one on a big bike.

moodyedge wrote:
I was thinking something japanese because I love jap cars, maybe an 80s model, simple, cheap and a bit tatty that runs would maybe be a good idea so I can take it to bits clean it....do some spraying etc....replace a few parts...brakes etc.....and leave the big stuff like engines alone....

something that looks classic/cruiser-esque

Once you have a licence, all things are possible. And older cruisers, tend to be a pretty good bet, they tend not to get thrashed, and de-value quickly when the chrome starts to 'go'... hence stand a better than fair chance of finding something reasonably solid mechanically, that you can do up cosmetically.... though plenty of others have similar notions!

moodyedge wrote:
Not sure how much stuff like that goes for so thats the first job....ebay watching.
cheers.

Nope... I think your first job is to check out training costs, price up CBT, and DAS, THEN look at e-bay and see whther it would be woth going for a 'cheap' 125 and riding to licence, and having a 'little' bike to sell or do something with, when you have it, or whether to go for a course, DAs or 125, and just get the paper in your pocket!

snowtigeress wrote:
.but then again if you wanted to do what Ive done with the pup its cost £1400+ just for parts.....but It is a brand new 25+ year old bike now.....
And I haven't even done the engine rebuild yet....

that's waiting till i get my licence.

As said, It was all about Snowie's idea of a bike that suited her.
The Pup HAS been done to an inordinately higher standard than 'essential'. Main reason was to give her a bike that was 'as good as or better than' new. Mainly so she knew what one SHOULD feel like, and give her some confidence to get through tests.
Learning mechanics along the way, was also a big part of the project, not only so she knows how to fix stuff for herself, but also so she knows how it works and goes to gether, and building confidence, whats going on under her bum when riding, and more, knowing whats under her bum, isn't just 'good' becouse some one says its good, and its never been used, but she has SEEN every bit go together and KNOWS whats gone into it and how its gone together....

snowtigeress wrote:
but ive learnt a lot in the time its took me to do this project...and that was the whole point i choose to do one in the first place.....

And forgotten it JUST as quickly!
A month ago she was swearing, that if she had KNOWN how much work it was going to take, if she had KNOWN how much it was all going to cost, before she began, she would have NEVER started it.... and she was swearing that she'd NEVER do another!
snowtigeress wrote:
but ive already sorted my next project out............
oops better say this quietly.....
went to the Vic on Sunday and there was a moto guzzi v35 with a v50 engine ...........but i think i might look for a minter.......But then again I have 2 years to build the next one.........

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/XX-Forum%20Posts/100_0440.jpg
But... that's what happens... after the elation of seeing the project through, after all the ups and downs, and hassles and niggles, and after the tally is reckoned....
You start thinking, and YES actually it WAs all worth it..... and NOw I know for next time!
she looks quite at home on that Guzzi, actually.... Knew I was right to begin with.... but hey ho... maybe better this way... with what she has learned on the pup, and what the pup, we hope will do for her, vis giving her teh confidence to get her licence... when she's done an engine rebuild, and bored it out to 200cc to sit out her 33bhp restriction.... maybe she can tackle a Guzzi with a different aproach and mandate and do it completely differently to if she had as her 1st project...
One things for sure.... with the pup under her bum, it wont be such an 'important' biuke NEEDING to be built, so can be done far more for fun.....

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:49 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, some more progress.

With the motor back in and working, I wanted to finish the main service on it, and give it an oil change and clean the filter. When we fitted the new clutch cable though, Tef noticed that the new cable was almost adjusted to the maximum... so he reckoned I could do with a new clutch, especially if when I pass my test, we bore the engine out!

So, I wrote a couple of How2's on it all for the Workshop
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0476.jpg
HOW2: change Oil & Clean strainer (Small Honda's +)

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0472.jpg
HOW2: Overhaul Clutch (Small Honda's +)

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/071_A_010_Gasket/imag2052.jpg
HOW2: Make a Cornflake Packet Gasket

So I won’t go over it ALL again, but some of the highlights:

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0452.jpg
Draining the oil, and fishing for the sump plug.... you MIGHT have told me the oil would be HOT, Tef! Bludy man just laughed!

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0481.jpg
The Haynes said you have to remove the whole oil pump to get this out, but on Tef's instructions, managed to wriggle it out without such a faff. Also told me to use expensive PETROL to clean it! I used washing up liquid, and not even the expensive stuff!

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0489.jpg
Had to clean up the gasket faces, and then put it back in before dealing with the clutch.

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0445.jpg
Got new springs and clutch plates of e-bay, for less than £20.

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0502.jpg

Stripped the release plate off the clutch to get at the springs, but needed Honda Service tool, 07716-0020100, to take the clutch hub out to replace the springs. The Haynes gave instructions on how to make one...

Haynes wrote:
This tool is available as Honda Service tool, 07716-0020100. If this is not available, fabricate a suitable tool from a length of thick walled tubing. Refer to the accompanying illustration for details, cutting away the segments shown with a hacksaw to leave four tangs.

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/clutch1.jpg
unhelpfully, so Tef did it his way with an old 3/4" socket and an angle grinder!

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0551.jpg
Isn't pretty, but it worked!
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0506.jpg
That off, I could strip the clutch plate pack
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0510.jpg
And put the new plates in.
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0512.jpg
Then put it all back together again!
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0516.jpg
So, Clutch reconditioned, had to make a gasket for the primary drive cover
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/071_A_010_Gasket/100_0525.jpg
Turning that, into this!
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/071_A_010_Gasket/imag2059.jpg
Trick is to do the screw holes first!
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/imag2060-1.jpg
Cover Back on....
https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/imag2063.jpg
Chuck in some oil!

And THAT, with the tappets and cam chain adjusted as I did ages ago, is the engine 'sorted'!
Or at least as 'sorted' as it’s going to be, save serious mechanical maladies or disasters, until I have past my tests, when I get to do some 'silly' mechanics!
Tef has acquired a CD200 engine, and the idea is, to rebuild my engine as a 200, for my 33bhp restriction period!

Last edited by SnowTigeress on 15:04 - 15 May 2011; edited 1 time in total

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:12 - 15 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, its a busy week, and it all seems to be starting to come together.

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0546.jpg
and I cant make my mind up what colour I like best.......

While doing the oil change and clutch overhaul, a big parcel full of stickers arrived!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0529.jpg
Custom cut for us, by Corf off the Forum.
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag1187.jpg
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/cb125/Tail-Rail-1.jpg
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag1761.jpg
The original decals that would of been on the pup and are on the corporal at the minute till she gets her new bodywork.
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/cb125/Tail-Rail-2.jpg
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/cb125/Picture016.jpg
The bodywork on "The Black One"that the new decals were designed from,but instead of the Deluxe under the stripe on the side panel we added Super Dream.
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0531.jpg
These are the main decals for the Pup, and I couldn't wait to see what they looked like on the plastics!
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag1964.jpg
Tail Cowling all painted up, waiting to be stickered!
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0532.jpg
First Stripe carefully applied!
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0533.jpg
Peeling off the backing to leave the vinyl on the paintwork
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0534.jpg
And both sides 'done'
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0535.jpg
and so the Honda Logo on the back
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0536.jpg
and so onto the side panels
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag2022.jpg
Last time you saw them they had been painted 'not quite black' but needed the inset bit painting 'matt' black like the originals.
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag2023.jpg
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag2021.jpg
so they were masked off and sprayed
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0537.jpg
And I added the main decal
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0538.jpg
Then the lettering detail had to go on. This was HARD
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0539.jpg
Then the 'Super Dream' badge
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0540.jpg
then I did it again for the one for the other side
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0541.jpg
so just need to wait on the Pup logo im having on the sidepanels and then they can be lacquered.
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/MockupofPupLHS.gif
so just the tank to be done now,but still preparing that with high build and sanding,But this is what it should look like once its finished
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/cb125/100_0562.jpg
https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/cb125/100_0563.jpg
This is the corporals new tank and what the pup`s should look like but in nearly black

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:49 - 17 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well today I got Tef to spray my tank as this is the most important bit that’s seen

Just to remind you what it looked like, THIS was how it looked when I got the bike.

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imax0831.jpg

some one had had a go at painting it before... badly, and then spilled petrol all over it, so it went all mottled!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag0855.jpg

Tef got me to strip three tanks we had lying around, then picked ont to prepare.

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag0856.jpg

Primered, I set about filling and smoothing it

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag0946.jpg

Skimming nearly the whole tank with filler to get a good level.

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag1406.jpg

Then 'lightly Sanding' back to bare metal, and building up with filler-primer!
Over, and Over, and OVER again!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag1635.jpg

EVENTUALLY... got it looking something like it ought to, in primer, ready to be painted.... TODAY!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0567.jpg

Once the tank had two coats of "Not Quite Black" and they were dry we got on with putting the decals on

(ok Tef made me have a heart attack and left me to put them on)

the problem is I don’t see straight, so I could of ended up with one skew-whiff.

After watching the video of Corf putting his decals on his TZR...

https://vid628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/corf/th_08102010033.jpg?videoplayer=offsite?videoplayer=offsite

I got what was needed to put the decals on
- 1 spray bottle with water
- A cloth

Putting the tank on its side I sprayed the side all over so that I could slide the decals into place and if they needed to be moved they wasn’t stuck down fully

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0569.jpg

Taking off the decal backing and then setting them on to the tank

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0570.jpg

Rub down with the cloth, so that they are firmly down

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0571.jpg

Then striping the film away from the stripes slowly and sort of straight

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0576.jpg

Then rubbing with my fingers and then the cloth to get rid of any bubbles and water from under the decal

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0578.jpg

Once that’s all bubble free and firmly down it was time to put the Honda wings on

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0579.jpg

Spray the tank again and taking the backing off the wings

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0580.jpg

And setting them into the place you would like them

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0582.jpg

Rubbing with fingers and cloth

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0585.jpg

Peel the firm away and get rid of any air bubbles

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0588.jpg

On so that’s one side done time to repeat the procedure

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0591.jpg

The second side is harder to do as now you have to try and get them in the same place as the first set

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0594.jpg

So spray tank

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0595.jpg

Peel backing

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0597.jpg

Line up decals on the tank and try getting them equal to the other side

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0605.jpg

Rub them down so they are firmly on and take off the film

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0609.jpg
use cloth to get rid of and bubbles

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0610.jpg

and then spray the tank again for the wings

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0612.jpg

We measured the wings on the first side with some squared paper and counted the squares

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0619.jpg

This helped a lot so once in the right place rub them down take film off and remove bubbles

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/cb125/100_0563.jpg

I think the not quite Black looks better than the corporal red

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0622.jpg

That’s one decaled tank

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0621.jpg

Then with some t-cut I removed the water marks off the tank ready for petrol proof lacquer

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0593.jpg

The next day when it was nice I tryed all the bodywork onto the pup

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/100_0626.jpg

just got to weld the engine bracket for the crash bars again Rolling Eyes
and this is the out come,I think he looks pretty

Now Decided that the hand guards dont look right in orange so they have come off to be sprayed silver

corf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 07:09 - 17 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike looking mint, decals look good fitted

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:45 - 21 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fingers and toes crossed the Pup is in for an MOT on monday

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:50 - 23 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Helmet To Match

Well, now I have a 'new' bike, I want a new helmet!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0001.jpg

I have been looking all over, but! I dont like ANY of the designs....
Tef says "Sod the Colour, choose one that fits!"
So I did.... but he baulked at £299 for the one that 'fitted' me best!

Anyway, after painting the tank and putting all the decals and 'stuff' on them, I was looking at all the paint and stickers and..... well, you can GUESS what I was thinking! So here you are! Starting with a £50 Glass Fibre 'Nitro', that was 'OK' but a bit fussy... we decided to paint it!

First job, Tef's patent razor blade technique to remove the original decals....

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0002.jpg

Scraped & Sanded, the vents and everything masked off.

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0006.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0007.jpg

Then Primered

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0009.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0010.jpg

Then a base coat of silver was applied... but we missed getting pics of that! In haste to work out the design that we wanted to mask on to it, before painting 'Not quite black' to match the bike.

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0014.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0015.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0016.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0017.jpg

Unmasked!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0018.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0020.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0021.jpg
Next Red Flashes were added in vinyl...

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0023.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0024.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0025.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0026.jpg

To match the livery of the bike!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0022.jpg

Works well, doesn't it? Simple, Subtle, bold, and Retro! But the Pup, has WOLVES! Time to add some 'bite' to the scheme!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0028.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0029.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0030.jpg

But SOMETHING was just, 'missing'.....

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0033.jpg

Matching 'flashes' in the chin!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0031.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0032.jpg

One, 'New' Helmet to match my bike! Laquer to finish, and then it can be unmasked.

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0034.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0035.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0036.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0037.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Custom%20Helmet/101_0038.jpg

So, This is what the overall effect looks like, all suited, booted and ready to roll!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0042.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0043.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0046.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0051.jpg

Roll on the 4th of June, when my CBT's booked for!

But FIRST, I need an MOT......

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:56 - 23 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops Double post

Last edited by SnowTigeress on 18:06 - 23 May 2011; edited 1 time in total

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:04 - 23 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/XX-Forum%20Posts/101_0043.jpg
THAT'S my girl!
Think that one deserves a higher res upload, don't you?
That bike is looking absolutely bludy STUNNING
And you, in skin tight leather, the wind in your hair.....
Look pretty good too!
So..... how did this MoT go then?

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:10 - 23 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday, 23 May, 2011....

the MOMENT OF TRUTH.... MOT Day

It has been three hundred and fifty eight days, since I brought the Pup home, one week short of the first anniversary of going and buying him... TODAY we would find out if all the angst, effort, hassle and money, was any use at all....

But FIRST, we needed some insurance, so we could get him to the MOT centre. This proved slightly more difficult than planned, becouse I dont have a valid CBT certificate, and almost NO-ONE would give me insurance on him, until I had the CBT. Tef had a licence and was going to be a named rider, but no, they still wouldn't do it before I had that cert in my hand.

Just after lunch time, with three hours to Moment Of Truth, Tef 'sorted' it, and we got one of these 'one month', "Pay as you Go" policies. £20, TPF&T. Fully Comp, is only £125 for a YEAR! So twice the price for half the cover, but hey ho, £20 is a drop in the ocean for what this bike's cost to build! And it keeps everything 'Legal'. Can cancel it as soon as I have done CBT and get a propper policy!

So, last minute fettling, adding cable ties to the fork gaiters, checking the indicators, lamps, brake lamps. Adjusting the brake pedal stop, making sure the battery is fully charged, and wondering WHY it WONT START........

"Darling!" Shouted Tef.... "Have you put any petrol in it, since you put the new tank on?" he says fiddling with the nice shiney new petrol tap! So I sent him round to the petrol station with a gerry can! Panic setting in.

Ten minutes later, he was running, the battery charging up, the engine warming. It's ten to two... the insurance cover starting at 2pm on the dot! Test booked for 3! Time for some 'photo's.... of COURSE, it's now hissing with rain, but I dont care, no fair weather rider THIS girl!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0052.jpg

"Tyres look a bit flat!" Said Tef, and went off to get his pump....

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0053.jpg

Hooked it up, and plugged it into the socket on my handlebars! ISN'T that cleva! Self Sufficiency!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0055.jpg

There you go, the riders view! My custom fasia clocks; my big red button for the hazard warning lamps; my Number 48 Bus... SORRY, Sat Nav! Heated Grips, Cigarette lighter socket, hand guards and new mirrors! POSH OR WHAT!

Quarter past two..... ALREADY! Insurance 'Live' Tef took Him for his 'maiden voyage' round the blcok to make sure all was 'OK', before we set out, two up, to the MOT centre....

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0056.jpg

The MOT... THE 'moment of truth' had come!

And we ALMOST failed right then and there! I'd painted over the frame number! But nice chap that he was, he let Tef sand down over the number till he could read it... then the inspection began, and my pulse started racing!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0059.jpg

He liked my custom Clocks though!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0060.jpg

Then he got me to sit on it and got out a TAPE MEASURE!?! Aparently that was so he could check and adjust the headlamp aim! Then he went through all the lights.

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0062.jpg

And onto the rollers to use his fancy machine to test the brakes!

Then he tugged and twisted the forks and pumped up the tyres some more.... guage on Tef's RAC pump is WAY out....

And the final Virdict?

Well.... do you remember what I started with?

https://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/heap/imag0829.jpg

The 'Heap' of bits from the aborted bike......

https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae49/bikerbird/The%20Pup%20Project/pictur03.jpg

Then, as this one 'arrived'

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Strip%20Down/imag0687.jpg

And got stripped to bits......

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Frame/imag0953.jpg

And shot (blasted) to death!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Frame/imag1001.jpg

ALL that paint, then slowly putting it all back together....

https://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Frame/imag1125.jpg

My custom clocks,

https://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/clocks%20and%20switches/imag1576.jpg

Brakes & stuff painstakingly reconditioned......

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Brakes/imag0796.jpg

Like that horrible rear suspension, with all those awkward bushes...

https://s1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Suspension/imag1719.jpg

All those annoying wigglie wires!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Lights%20and%20wiring/104_0028.jpg

Sorting out the paint & decals...

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/plastics%20and%20tank/imag1763.jpg

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/Decals/100_0546.jpg

And my nice new tyres and sparklie powder coated wheels....

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/wheels/imag1896.jpg

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/LD07%20Eng%20Build/100_0476.jpg

Digging into the bowls of the engine

https://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w269/teflons-torque/Little%20Dreams/100_0626.jpg

and finally, after ALL those months..... looking something close to finished.....

Just look at it NOW!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0046.jpg[/img]

Come on, could this even POSSIBLY, even REMOTELY, EVER..... FAIL?!?!

https://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x349/snowtigeress/the%20pup/101_0065.jpg

Of COURSE it BLUDY couldn't!

Am I happy?!!! what do YOU THINK! Smile

NOW I know what Tef was talking about..... When he handed me that cirtificate.... I just couldn't contain myself!

I just Can't WAIT till a Week Saturday for my CBT and THEN I can do what I built him to do, and RIDE, Baby, RIDE!

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 23 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good write up, the bike looks stunning.

I'd love to do a restoration with my girlfriend on her Vespa.

twostroketit
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:35 - 23 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havn't got anything to read now!
Well done,that is a nice job.

SnowTigeress
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:39 - 23 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

twostroketit wrote:
I havn't got anything to read now!
Well done,that is a nice job.

Im sorry ok shall i start again lol

retrobiker
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:01 - 23 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am fairly new here but well done great build and some great pics

you do know you will be doing another very soon Wink

one is never enough
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 23 May 2011    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh won't you please think of the 56k users! Laughing

I love these threads though Smile

The bike looks immaculate, and I really love the helmet idea..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 12 years, 343 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9