Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dirty Bandit Turbo. Added sound file...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 13 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Looks like a scary-fun bike to ride. Was that done by a guy called Malcolm?

Aye, MB customs did the turbo conversion. He was great to talk to and stuck to his final price despite all the extra work involved after it was discovered the wheelbase was shorter. A shitload more labour and an external wastegate must have put the cost up considerably. He also refused to take any money for picking up and dropping the bike back at the ferry terminal in Portsmouth for me, a round trip of 140 miles which he made twice!

Quote:
I see you are located on the Isle of Wight..

I'm heading over there on the 21st... can I come fap?

Certainly, it'd be great to meet a fellow BCFer. I know there are a few folks from round here on BCF but they seem to be reclusive. Smile

Quote:
Are you keeping carbs or doing a FI conversion? I've heard carbs can be tricky with Turbo's from the incosistent air pressures

Mike

As Chris and Pete confirmed, carbs are pretty much fine with turbos. Malcolm does have a little trick he performs which he won't actually say exactly what it involves. I know a little about turboing and I reckon he machines out the internals of the carb to equalise the air pressure top and bottom and eliminate any flooding that might otherwise occur under boost. He was saying that BigCC have sent him carbs in the past they were having trouble with and he sorted them out for them.

If I get a little time i'll take the seat off and take a few pics of the fuel system. It's pretty hench, with a fuel filter that makes an oil filter on a bike look small and the pump looks like it came off a light diesel truck.

Quote:
What's it like for power delivery? 4k revs go, 5k revs go, 6k revs go, 7k revs WARP SPEED?

Surprisingly good. Dyno graphs are quite flat on the lower boost, showing peak power of a stock B1200 (96rwhp) at around 3800 rpm. Past this it does ramp up very quickly and will punt you in the chin with the handlebars if you don't treat it with respect. Max power may only be 181hp, but it's still chucking out 120lb/ft of torque which is 20lb/ft more than a stock Busa. Maximum boost curve is crazy looking. Wouldn't like to ride it without extending the swing arm. Discretion is very much the better part of valour in this case.

I am in the process of sourcing an MTC lockup clutch for the bike as Chris' prediction of clutch slippage is indeed true. Scary thing is, the dyno numbers may be a bit on the soft side if the clutch was slipping a bit on full chat.

Mikey3
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 13 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Its something without a turbo/sc

Just a normal engine.

I thought that as well,
So I do know what it is, just not proper term for it Mr. Green

ta lads.

Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 20:17 - 13 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am in the process of sourcing an MTC lockup clutch for the bike as Chris' prediction of clutch slippage is indeed true. Scary thing is, the dyno numbers may be a bit on the soft side if the clutch was slipping a bit on full chat.

roger upperton does them for about 175 for a b12 clutch.

if you sort out a coil spring conversion there about 125.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 13 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the hint, looks like his prices have increased a bit since you last looked, 245 for the diaphragm clutch version.

However Holeshot want £300 plus postage from Ireland for one so it's still preferable.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:38 - 13 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thats gone up!

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 14 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, small price to pay to have a slip free clutch on a turbo bike though!

Going to go see if my oil pipe is ready today, was told two days last wednesday before I went to the bulldog.

11.712 @ 116.9 mph on the CBR600 by the way Smile

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 13 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

No real update, bike is presently awaiting a new ignition barrel due to a wiring issue. Been fiddling a bit though. New rearsets, these are solid mounted and occupy the same position as the old ones, which utilised a rubber mounted kicker plate to lift the pegs. Popped a few detail pics in to flesh it out, play spot the fuel pump! Can see the nice new braided steel oil pipe on the right hand side. Has solved the rubbing issue!

https://img440.imageshack.us/img440/6302/53443810151158229763485.jpg

https://img826.imageshack.us/img826/6916/40819210151158228933485.jpg

https://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4509/40414610151105363693485.jpg

https://img839.imageshack.us/img839/585/31835410151158230388485.jpg

Still haven't got round to fitting the new bodywork! Fuck my life.

Best 'Just in case' purchase evAr!11!!!1!

https://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3416/64465210151155152573485.jpg

sirswali
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 13 Sep 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!! What and where did u get that turbo, looks mean!

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 30 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto, bit of an update! Bike had a few issues recently, shat it's ignition, killed the battery, ruined it's plugs.

Long story short, new ignition, new battery, new plugs and a bit of TLC and she is brutalising the ears of all and sundry again.

Have a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnmrVp3U_gI&feature=youtu.be

Turn up your speakers. Sorry about the potato recording. After the last blip if you listen carefully you can hear the turbo spooling down oover the din.

If you are all very good I have a video of spinning it through first and second in the wet. Wink

I still need a lockup and a proper fuel tap but crimbo is on the way so expect to see the iinner workings of this bike soon enough Very Happy

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 31 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice dude, like that

what's it like with the straight bars? i fancy some, but not sure

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:28 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure if im missing something here. Havent read the whole thread word for word.

But what happened with those rear fairings you did such a neat job of filling in the holes on?

P.s, the bike is foookin epic! I'm still waiting to see Pete's turbo busa out on the street. Just havens had any decent days where we've both been off work since he finished it off and got it back on the road.

I've never seen a working turbo bike in the flesh. I'd love to see/ride one when they come on boost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good! You sit right over the front with them on, they pull you forward a lot. Lack a bit of leverage at slow speed due to them not actually being that wide. Other than that they give you good command of the bike.

Bit of an update, gone to a 'stage 2' of sorts. Ordered some 6 inch bolt on swingarm extenders that will give me an overall wheelbase of 59.5 inches, or 4.5 inches more than a standard B12. Owing to the fact that this bike is 1.5 inches shorter than stock it should make it a lot more manageable than it is now on the power, without trashing the handling too much. Also have ordered a k7 Gix 1000 rear wheel to go to a 190 rear tyre, should fit in with a 6304 bearing and some custom spacers. A 140 link rear chain will transfer drive, along with a longer rear brake hose and custom brake torque rod.

Also finally have an MTC lock out clutch on the way. Looking forward to feeling what this bike really has to give rather than just bluing the clutch plates. Laughing Also gone for a Pingel dual outlet fuel tap to get rid of the stock vacuum actuated atrocity, so I should be able to feed the 'thirst' a lot better than at the moment. Pics to come as soon as the parts start arriving.

Bike is running well and I have been enjoying riding it a lot recently. Seems to be that a combination of cold conditions and slightly greasy roads mean you have to keep your wits about you when cruising about. I nearly lobbed it when i shifted into second the other day and was a bit abrupt with the clutch.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:39 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you find the forks on heavy breaking?

I had K1 1000 forks on mine, Pretty sure they are the same length/size as the ones you're using.
They're quite a bit shorter than stock arent they. Especially once you've fitted the longer bandit stem into the GSXR yokes, and push the bottom yoke even further down the fork legs. Laughing

Helped keep the front down though. My B12 was Stage 2 (or three, cant remember) dynojetted, and rolling around 120bhp at the wheel.

I struggle to imagine what 200+ must be like!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

binge wrote:
But what happened with those rear fairings you did such a neat job of filling in the holes on?

P.s, the bike is foookin epic! I'm still waiting to see Pete's turbo busa out on the street. Just havens had any decent days where we've both been off work since he finished it off and got it back on the road.

I've never seen a working turbo bike in the flesh. I'd love to see/ride one when they come on boost.

The fairings are sat upstairs waiting for a lick of paint. When I got half finishing them I started having electrical issues with the bike. They are sorted now, and apart from having a small oil leak from a weld on the turbo I need to get touched up i'm happy with how the bike is running and riding. I will concentrate on getting the fairings finished properly now, will nick some time in a mates garage to pull it to bits, fit the new rear end, clutch and swing lengtheners all in one go. I've actually done quite a bit of work on the bike but haven't posted anything in a while, as it was mostly necessary maintenance work.

Cheers for the compliment, I haven't really done much to the aesthetics of the bike, how It looks is how it ended up, form follows function and all that. Not much matches riding a turbo bike, sound amazing on or off boost. I'll post a vid when I get home of It accelerating.

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 22:23 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, who gives two shits what it looks like.

When I had my bandit, I got so much stick for it from my other mates, who all had R1s, GSXRs etc etc.
When an R1 pulls up along side you on that thing, and you blow it the fuck away, you'll not be getting much stick then. Laughing

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:26 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When an R1 pulls up along side you on that thing, and you blow it the fuck away, you'll not be getting much stick then.

indeed.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home now, posting on a smartphone is a pain in the arse.

binge wrote:
Mate, who gives two shits what it looks like.

When I had my bandit, I got so much stick for it from my other mates, who all had R1s, GSXRs etc etc.
When an R1 pulls up along side you on that thing, and you blow it the fuck away, you'll not be getting much stick then. Laughing

True dat. To be honest in the flesh it is a very imposing bike, it's rough but menacing. Very few people haven't liked it, but fuck it, it's fast lol.

Quote:
How do you find the forks on heavy breaking?

Could be stiffer, need a bit more of a heavy weight spring in there to put up with the weight of the Bandit. Going to an extended swingarm is going to balls up the handling and setup anyway so a rejig is on the cards.

How was it getting the gix rear in your bandit? Research would suggest the bearing swap and some custom spacers, that accurate? The gix 1000 forks in yours handle the weight of the bandit any better? It was a nice bike man!

This is a video of the bandit pulling away and trundling through first and second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LiuKyC25WE&feature=youtu.be

It's wet, so noooooo grip.

Oh, and if you're ever on the Island let me know, would be more than happy for you to have a shot on it. Thumbs Up

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Cool

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome bike Thumbs Up

How much did the turbo set you back if you don’t mind me asking?
Thundersport Pre-National Sport 600 2014 #92
EMRA Roadstock 600 2013 - 3rd
www.facebook.com/MattJohnstonRacing

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Oh, and if you're ever on the Island let me know, would be more than happy for you to have a shot on it.

I was on the IOW yesterday and I have no idea where you can open up that bike anywhere. The place is the size of a shoe and 30/40 limits and speed cameras.

I didn't like it.

but I like the bandit. Apart from the headlights.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:03 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Military road... thats a great road to hammer down.. but when you are coming up to Freshwater bay and its a little breezy... if you lose it, you are going for a swim Laughing

I'll be back over next year at some point Thumbs Up

Knightsy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jizzing over this bike. You did a cracking job on it man Thumbs Up

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Military road... thats a great road to hammer down.. but when you are coming up to Freshwater bay and its a little breezy... if you lose it, you are going for a swim Laughing

I'll be back over next year at some point Thumbs Up

I'd be up for that if you fancy a riding companion as long as it doesn't clash with my wedding Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:25 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its a good trek down there Thumbs Up Who knows, might have a very pissed off looking Ninja to take down there Mr. Green

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

210 horsepower?
Is that it? Laughing Wink

MOAR! MOAR! MOAR!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8