Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

3D Printing for great justice. Now with a shoddy video!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever find 'something' that is worth printing in bulk then I would be more than happy to reverse engineer it.

Considering buying one of these next.

https://www.artec3d.com/3d_scanners_for_professionals/artec-eva/

The accuracy is way off but they are cheap and loads of fun. It captures texture and colour as well as form.

Xenocide
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:45 - 17 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marki wrote:
If you ever find 'something' that is worth printing in bulk then I would be more than happy to reverse engineer it.

Considering buying one of these next.

https://www.artec3d.com/3d_scanners_for_professionals/artec-eva/

The accuracy is way off but they are cheap and loads of fun. It captures texture and colour as well as form.

Mmm scanning boobies. I approve.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 11:02 - 17 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, in order of posting:

Kramdra - Yes, a larger one probably could do fairings, although they'd be fairly heavy.

Blurredman - The plastic's fairly strong; I believe it's classed as an engineering plastic, and makes surprisingly durable rigid structures.

Marki - that's a fine offer; I may well give you a shout in the not-too-distant future. As to the 3D scanner, I keep thinking that I should design my own. The real problem that I'd have would be in designing the hardware to interpolate a stereoscopic video stream. I certainly don't have the money for an off-the-shelf unit, aside from the Kinect, maybe.

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 19 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we see the headphone piece when it's fixed? Looks awesome dude.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 31 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

nowhere.elysium you are a cu*t
I've just read every post in this thread then been on you tube & google frantically researching this

can I ask a few quick questions
if you scaled it up to 50 or 100% bigger would that dramatically effect the accuracy req to calibrate it
being the further it has to move the greater chance of error
or is there a fixed size that you have to stay within

having seen a lot of the code you have posted regarding setting parameters, it seems very similar to PHP and other coding (hashing out irrelevant parts and manipulating variables)
I also used C and C+ back in pre historic days when I was program debugging
but been a while, and also used to set up Auto Cad etc on some well over spec'd PC's for some local engineering company's

is it hard to pick up the software and control systems with some basic background knowledge in electronics's and components
I did a degree in radio electronics's many moons ago and can use a soldering iron and know what a test meter is for and how to use it

so many more questions I'd love to ask but I've taken up enough bandwidth already

P.S. what happened to the secret project ??

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 09:16 - 31 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
bump

nowhere.elysium you are a cu*t
Yes. Yes I am.
oldpink wrote:
can I ask a few quick questions
if you scaled it up to 50 or 100% bigger would that dramatically effect the accuracy req to calibrate it
being the further it has to move the greater chance of error
or is there a fixed size that you have to stay within
Not really; the precision is determined by the motor's step size, as well as how well you assembled the printer initially. A larger print size only means more steps, not bigger steps, so you should still have similar precision.
oldpink wrote:
having seen a lot of the code you have posted regarding setting parameters, it seems very similar to PHP and other coding (hashing out irrelevant parts and manipulating variables)
I also used C and C+ back in pre historic days when I was program debugging
Yes, it's C++ - the only real guidelines are to try and keep it simple; minimise floating-point stuff, be pernickety about how much RAM you're using, that sort of thing.
oldpink wrote:
is it hard to pick up the software and control systems with some basic background knowledge in electronics's and components
I did a degree in radio electronics's many moons ago and can use a soldering iron and know what a test meter is for and how to use it
Well, to lend a little context, I have an Art degree - my only associative background with this is having worked in IT support for years, and having a voracious sense of curiosity.
oldpink wrote:
P.S. what happened to the secret project ??
'Tis a mystery.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 31 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Not really; the precision is determined by the motor's step size, as well as how well you assembled the printer initially. A larger print size only means more steps, not bigger steps, so you should still have similar precision.

It does affect the overall print accuracy though. Because it only touches the limit switch to set its datum at the start, the rest of the print relies on accurate steps. So assuming you want a larger bed to print larger things, you will have further to travel, meaning more chance to lose steps along the way. So at the end the accumulated error can be quite high.

I've had some awful results because of missing a step or 2 every layer. Obviously this can be mitigated by using a lower step angle or microstepping.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 09:43 - 31 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
It does affect the overall print accuracy though. Because it only touches the limit switch to set its datum at the start, the rest of the print relies on accurate steps. So assuming you want a larger bed to print larger things, you will have further to travel, meaning more chance to lose steps along the way. So at the end the accumulated error can be quite high.

I've had some awful results because of missing a step or 2 every layer. Obviously this can be mitigated by using a lower step angle or microstepping.
True. I'm surprised that there was never any provision for a calibration belt, like you get with higher-end inkjet printer.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 31 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
True. I'm surprised that there was never any provision for a calibration belt, like you get with higher-end inkjet printer.

Never heard of this before, and Google isn't bearing much fruit. Can you give a brief explanation?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 09:23 - 01 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

Never heard of this before, and Google isn't bearing much fruit. Can you give a brief explanation?
Sure. Take a look at the rails that the carriage of an inkjet printer run on - you should see a transparent belt. If you look closely, it'll have faint vertical stripes on it; that's used as a feedback mechanism* to tell the printer just how far along it's gone; even though a stepper ought to be accurate enough by itself, having the extra data point conferred by the belt would be a good way of minimising errors in printing.

*There's a small optical sensor on the carriage, as a rule.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:01 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:
Can we see the headphone piece when it's fixed? Looks awesome dude.
Apologies for it taking so bloody long, but convincing a teenager to part with an item that's been secreted within her room is not a quick process, as the gap between posts would suggest. Either way, here are the results:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7286/8738573285_be1b363b89_c.jpg
Other side, for comparison:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7286/8738573475_3530ae016f_c.jpg
It's hardly visible at all in situ:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/8738573571_2bf3524172_c.jpg

Last edited by nowhere.elysium on 22:13 - 14 May 2013; edited 2 times in total

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:10 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you started printing guns yet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:13 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
have you started printing guns yet?
Nope. They're cheaper/easier to buy around here, and they don't come with those pesky serial numbers, either.

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

most printers done use stepper motors, they normally use a hefty motor on a pwm controller which is why they have the feed back strip (from what i under stand is magnetic but i could well be wrong).

as for larger print area, you could in theory increase the length of the screw, providing you are using something like a ball thread or acme thread accracy should not go down it would just take more steps to cover the legnth of the bed

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 15 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

For large machines I'd go for linear scale tape and encoders. Accuracy would be very good, 10 µm/m being a fairly low resolution. The largest measurement machine we have at the moment is around 17 meters and real world errors are around 0.2mm from one end to the other.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 203 days between these two posts...

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:31 - 04 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. I've just had to change over the hot end, because it burned out a couple of weeks ago, and decided to upgrade the firmware while I was at it.

Big mistake.

Looks like the firmware's been very actively developed in the intervening year since I last looked at the released versions. As such, I'm swearing at the (now significantly larger) firmware, trying to get it all to behave itself. So far, things I've had to complain at:
inverted motor directions,
inverted endstop responses,
incorrect stepping values,
totally insane heating speeds.

This list may grow. Either way, there's been one good spinoff from the insane heating speeds; the PID process in the new firmware has been massively improved, so after only two updates, I managed to get some good PID values in there, and it's now nice and stable when heated.

serlant
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:23 - 31 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just leave this here.... https://www.dailytech.com/Quick+Note+Honda+Lets+Those+with+3D+Printers+Create+Old+Concept+Models+at+Home/article34237.htm

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm very close to pushing the button on this -

https://reprappro.com/shop/machine-kits/mendel-full-kit/

and starting my own little journey into discovery of hair tearing innovation.

Any major hints and tips nowhere?

thinking I should just dive in to be honest!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:38 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:
So I'm very close to pushing the button on this -

https://reprappro.com/shop/machine-kits/mendel-full-kit/

and starting my own little journey into discovery of hair tearing innovation.

Any major hints and tips nowhere?

thinking I should just dive in to be honest!

1) Do it, Faggot.
2) Be methodical, patient and precise. This is often best served by taking photos of what you're doing at every stage, for future reference.
3) Get friendly with the Arduino environment. You will find yourself re-uploading firmware multiple times, in the quest for perfect performance.

Give me a shout if you feel the need.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, completely forgot about this. Mine has been untouched in a cage at work for a few years.

Also NE, whats the largest your laser cutter can do? May be PMing you soon for a quote. Very Happy

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:51 - 24 Jun 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

the current ones can do 1200*900mm, but the big one that I'm aiming to get will do 2400*1200.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 224 days between these two posts...

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 04 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the printer going N.E?

My interest has just been rekindled after we bought one of these:

https://i.imgur.com/0dCvN1J.png

14 micron layers and support material. Very Happy

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:58 - 04 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
How's the printer going N.E?

My interest has just been rekindled after we bought one of these:

https://i.imgur.com/0dCvN1J.png

14 micron layers and support material. Very Happy
14 microns? Hot diggety damn. Yeah, the printing's going OK - not used my home one much of late, because I've got a shedload at work. However, I'm designing and building a DLP printer myself at the moment for an MSc project, so I may re-start this thread before too long.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 04 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
I'm designing and building a DLP printer myself at the moment for an MSc project, so I may re-start this thread before too long.

Awesome, has the resin got down to an affordable price now?

The ink/plastic resin for the Objet is £300 per kg. Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:34 - 04 Feb 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
Awesome, has the resin got down to an affordable price now?

Moderately. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can get it a lot cheaper than that, certainly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 83 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20