Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GK73A

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike - don't they rev to about 9 billion RPM or something?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

400bandit
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 22 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I've got an exhaust from an import 400 bandit (full SS front to back nd all one piece), if it's of any use to you give me a shout. If you cut the headers and collector off it might save time and wonga making/buying new down pipes?

Just like this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSF-400-BANDIT-COMPLETE-USED-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-/280734237308?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item415d10827c#ht_481wt_1185

Joe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 23 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Nice bike - don't they rev to about 9 billion RPM or something?

Redlines 15k, revs to 18k.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:30 - 23 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 sodding hours to drill through 6mm of hardened steel.

i can honestly say in the nearly 6 years i've been working on bikes, that is the worst job i've ever had to do.

in the end, spotted the centre with a carbide burr, cut a point using a carbide tipped spade drill, then took some out with a carbide tipped masonry drill, then back to the spade drill.... ect..

ive worn off the skin between my thumb and index finger from pressing on the drill so hard lol.

whats left:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/304855_10151018062588365_2096671941_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/10490_10151018063048365_1679561502_n.jpg

least i can crack on now.

picked this up today for a bargain price.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/545941_10151018061298365_1824662773_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/558942_10151018061838365_411661311_n.jpg

might look shit, but there very good in terms of gsxr400 headers. no holes and not much welding on them.

just need the half moon collets now.

also, lets play a game.

this is not the stock shock. whats it off?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391405_10151018063913365_518064732_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/418842_10151018063403365_1044591628_n.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 23 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for GS500 rear shock.

Apparently a GSXR 600 K7 shock slots right in but I'm yet to try it.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 23:22 - 23 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

gs500 has no damping adjustment.

it will be getting a maxton once its all sorted.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 24 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
3 sodding hours to drill through 6mm of hardened steel.

i can honestly say in the nearly 6 years i've been working on bikes, that is the worst job i've ever had to do.

So if someone posts, "Snapped stud? Drill a small hole, jam a spline drive in it and see if that shifts it", you'll be posting, "Fuck No!" Smile
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:57 - 24 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be going Nitron personally. Quality shocks reasonably priced. Not sure if they do one for the GK76A though...
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Chalky.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 24 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a project you might actually finish? Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 24 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I'd be going Nitron personally. Quality shocks reasonably priced. Not sure if they do one for the GK76A though...

If they don't they will build you one though! Im thinking of Nitron for a shock for my scabby KMX200, after my initial thoughts of a custom WP shock were going to be way too expensive even for my fantasy build lol!

Very nice bike Chri5! Thumbs Up
The best thing about it is that it looks like all the bodywork and tank is mint on it. That would be enough to make me buy a bike easily, as seeing a shiney gleaming set of panels and fairings would have my hand in my pocket before id even notice any of the mechanical or important bits!

I best keep away from sportsbikes, with my careful considered approach to judging their condition! Laughing

The other really cool thing is that i think that model of GSXR400 was used by the Japanese bad guy in the film 'Black Rain' which is one of my most epic bike related movies ever!

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 18:40 - 24 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a cbr 600 steelie shock.

i've bought the last 6 gsxr 400 half moon exhaust collets in the western hemisphere.

didnt really fancy 3 week lead time from japan, so i'll just clean up 2 of the rusty ones for now.

dextersaurus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 24 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was gonna be my guess. it's the same shock on my bike. The F2. the F3 has the external cylinder.

If that one fits, the F3 one should... it's just a bit longer, and lets you adjust a bit more if you'd want the rear jacked up that little bit.

Dunc

I was MrDunkable in a previous life. Then questioned why I was the one being dunked...

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 24 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
its a cbr 600 steelie shock.

i've bought the last 6 gsxr 400 half moon exhaust collets in the western hemisphere.

didnt really fancy 3 week lead time from japan, so i'll just clean up 2 of the rusty ones for now.

I've made them a few times, for a GS and XJ1100. Trepan or holesaw a ring from a piece of thick steel, weld it to a short piece of tube and hacksaw in half.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 23:52 - 25 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, well i was just doing a bit of research on the bike and came across some interesting figures.

in 1988, this bike cost 700,000 yen if you wanted a new one. if you use a historic exchange rate converter and a historic inflation calculator, it comes out at just over 12 grand in today money. (was £5,600 in 1988)

bit crazy really.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:59 - 25 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

And to really worry you that was probably cheap compared to a VFR400

All the best

Keith

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 26 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC30 was ¥695,000 in 1989, NC35 was ¥780,000 in 1994
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

CHR15
Turbo nutter bastard

PostPosted: 22:37 - 26 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

god damn mexicans putting their noses in everywhere.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 26 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHR15 wrote:
wow, well i was just doing a bit of research on the bike and came across some interesting figures.

in 1988, this bike cost 700,000 yen if you wanted a new one. if you use a historic exchange rate converter and a historic inflation calculator, it comes out at just over 12 grand in today money. (was £5,600 in 1988)

bit crazy really.

Bloody hell, my XJ900F cost me £3500, new in 1987, £5600 was getting on for Goldwing money!

What's the deal with that collector box?

Must weigh a ton and surely it can't need all those balance pipes, wouldn't it have been better to put on something lighter?
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there some gubbins hiding in all those chambers, or do they just create high/low pressure points?

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i think it's just an interconnection thing rather than an actuator based system like Ex-UP

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:42 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's probably quite a bit of noise reduction going on there as well.

I'm guessing those upper link chambers act as a tank for the excess gas that the collector backs up, in an effort to not disturb the flow.

No doubt an expert will be on here soon to correct me, but there must be a lighter, freer flowing alternative, that extracts a bit more power, at the expense of noise/flexibility?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14