Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!

My dad had a 240 turbo estate. Twisted Evil

I loved it when he was in 20 year old mind-set mode, that thing was awesome. he averaged 20MPG and we got 130 out of her.

I love the square looks of Volvo's, I would really like to get a square saloon. My mates bought a 740 turbo, after he wrapped his MX5 round a tree. He says he much prefers it to the MX-5, cost the same to buy and cheaper to insure. Thumbs Up
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate some cheap tuning potential, a bullet proof motor and a strong simple car, but still the old Volvo estate turbo's do nothing for me im afraid. I'm not into drifting really either.

In my mind the way to make a fast estate that never was would be to drop the MG Montego turbo engine into a Montego estate, and have a better looking and lighter car than a brick, but still fast!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

In my mind the way to make a fast estate that never was would be to drop the MG Montego turbo engine into a Montego estate, and have a better looking and lighter car than a brick, but still fast!

It might have been the fastest car to wear an MG badge (at the time) but that's not saying much, these days you'd be blown away by a luke warm Vectra.

I'd also like to point out that, even with only 150bhp, the Montego Turbo had probably the worst torque steer of any car I've ever driven, including the 250bhp Volvo 850R, so that's one modified car I wouldn't be in a rush to drive.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:41 - 06 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Amusing that bike riders now thinking of old Volvos as something for fun, rather than vehicles driven by those incapable of driving who bought the Volvo due to its reputation for safety so they were more likely to survive the accidents they indulged in

All the best

Keith

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wouldn't call the Monty turbo slow, as it weighs a lot less than newer saloons or estates. My Rover 220 coupe on paper is faster 0-60 and 0-100mph than a Focus ST, Astra VXR or Golf Gti mk6, it's only because they all weigh 150kg or more heavier though.

Anyway where an O-series 150bhp engine fits, so does a 200bhp T16. But the O-series a bit like Iain's favoured Volvo B20 engines, responds well to budget modifications and the OE carb and turbo can allow 200bhp, and the bottom end is 300bhp capable, which is far tougher and stronger than the T-series with it's lighter internals and weaker std pistons.

expat200
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:59 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
I can't see the benifit of starting with a Manta or a Capri unless you were dead set on the looks.

If you want the style but on a budget then you need one of these...
https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh90/expat2000_2008/cars/scimitar_jimmy/scimi_home_big.jpg

Less weight than a capri, just as tuneable (same engine) and bags of style. Get a good roadworthy one for about a grand, half that for a rough one.

Engine swap of choice is the Vauxhall Omega V6 3.0, although engine bay is big enough to take most V8s if you relocate the spare wheel.

A hoot to drive and even the fuel use isn't too bad for distance work, got 33mpg once out of mine on a 900 mile drive.

Stuart

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:48 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

Amusing that bike riders now thinking of old Volvos as something for fun, rather than vehicles driven by those incapable of driving who bought the Volvo due to its reputation for safety so they were more likely to survive the accidents they indulged in

All the best

Keith

I do not feel safe at all in Iains Volvo, I feel if we have a crash the only remaining whole part will be the engine block.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 07 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every destruction derby or banger race I go to, there is a 240 or a 740 just nailing round into everything. They almost always come out near the top. A good 110BHP, from the larger ones and relatively decent 1.5 tonnes, all estimates, with bags of torque, that's sure to do damage to stuff.

Square cars are cool.

I serviced an old Volvo 740 today, 312,000 on the original engine. I did it because our Honda dealership used to be a Volvo dealership and some of the old boys still bring their cars there. But that's good going. He just paid 1400 though for a new roof lining.... Shocked
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

TrevSkee
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 19 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike bro Cool shame what happened to you, never seen this though.. I live in gillingham and I too got me a CR125 supermoto road spec Thumbs Up

STOP clicking that link ^ and wait for me to do a UPDATED post.. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 21 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:

Ah noes!

I would, but have trouble getting my leg over Wink

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:49 - 02 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That sounds a bit expensive. Central Wheel seem to be cheaper (at a quick glance).

All the best

Keith

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:01 - 03 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing that you're presumably not worried by competiting in supermoto competition, I'd just stick to some road rims.

It sounds like something like you could probably fit some GS500 rims purely with bearings and at a push an angle grinder/metal tube and plate to make spacers. Total cost £100 to £200.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:32 - 03 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, in that case, why not look to a cheaper accessory to similarly tart up your bike with ?

https://www.juicycouturevip-sale.co.uk/images/image01/JC132-1427.jpg

Wink

Certainly RS wheels and probably the GS too should actually be lighter and take tubeless, so perform better - just can't be sure they'll survive repeated landings from 16' in the air.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 03 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to fuck around any further with my KMX, then I'd probably see if I could get another 18" rear rim re-spoked onto the front hub, and run a slighter narrower version of the rear tyre I have on it now.

I do wake up some day's thinking what's a 35yr old bloke doing messing with 125's, but If I've not grown up yet I never will! Laughing

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 03 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still desperate for somewhere to store it for a while, I've got space in my garage in Canterbury for the next two months.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 03 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Nc29-Cbr-Cr-Crf-Supermoto-Wheels-/301263437126?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4624b33d46
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:11 - 05 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I do wake up some day's thinking what's a 35yr old bloke doing messing with 125's, but If I've not grown up yet I never will! Laughing

That makes two 35 year olds still mucking about with KMX's then haha

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:24 - 08 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found Oxford chains not worth the money. They seem to be made out of cheese.

Friend had a moped, chopped his Oxford chain like a knife through butter. You want Almax chain and padlocks. Thumbs Up

The thieves do damage to the bike if they cannot steal it though so it's a question of risking it. Evil or Very Mad Mad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 285 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11