Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

H100sd Project.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCW
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: H100sd Project. Reply with quote

Meet Horace:

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q709/MCW999/2014-06/DSC_0080_zps6cb7dop2.jpg

He has been standing in a barn for many years. Everything needs doing.

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q709/MCW999/2014-06/DSC_0081_zpspkznk1ru.jpg

Some parts will be easy to trace, some don't seem to exist any more:

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q709/MCW999/2014-06/DSC_0085_zpsgm1pirko.jpg

I wish to restore Horace to his former glory:

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q709/MCW999/2014-06/DSC_0088_zpsw41fmrii.jpg

HOWEVER, I dont have a clue what I'm doing. Shocked
The general idea is to learn as I go. Somebody suggested I should just make a list of all that needs doing and getting, and then simply work through it. Trouble is, everything needs doing!

So where should I start? Answers please, on a postcard.... Very Happy

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How serious are you about doing everything? If that is the case then the first step is easy, strip it all down. Take more photos than you would ever think possible, you'll need them later.

MCW
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichy wrote:
How serious are you about doing everything? If that is the case then the first step is easy, strip it all down. Take more photos than you would ever think possible, you'll need them later.

Dead serious. Just a bit apprehensive about getting going...

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichy wrote:
Take more photos than you would ever think possible, you'll need them later.

This. If you're anything like me, 2 years later when you come to put it back together you will be thankful for some visual pointers.

Obviously I never do this and just end up guessing.

As for where to start. Does it run?

I would ignore the cosmetics to start with and focus on the main mechanical bits.

Get it running (if it isnt already)
Sort the brakes
Sort the suspension

Now you know you have a bike that does bike things you can work on the rest.

Tear it apart if you want to sort everything.

Clean up and Powdercoat the frame and other bits of metal (if it needs it)

Then put your working bits back on and start tackling the cosmetics, tank seat, etc.

I would try to avoid just ripping it all apart from the get go, as it could be a bit overwhelming. Going from non runner > running tatty bike > running tatty bike with brakes and suspension > clean running bike is easier to manage IMO.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before taking anything apart, first thing I would do is make sure it isn't seized and if it's not, put appropriate fluids in the right places and see if it starts (you might need a working battery as well).

Do you know why it was laid up in the first place?

As for parts, most of it looks like it would respond well to cleaning, but I can't imagine there's much you won't be able to find either secondhand or pattern.

If you do strip it down to nothing, as well as taking millions of pictures, bag and tag everything and get a Haynes manual, which will tell you what everything is called and how to take it apart and put it back together.

Finally, is it me or is the kickstart missing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:00 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Registration doesn't happen to be WIJ243 by any chance?

That is an H100S, while the brochure piccy is an H100S2. Only a few minor differences (ignition system, clocks, bolt on frame down tube and probably a couple of other things).

Front mudguard looks good which is a major plus point.

Check the centre stand mount. As from experience last weekend they can be a nightmare to pull apart (still not managed it - might need to cut it off - fortunately I have a spare stand).

All the best

Keith

MCW
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments everyone. Smile

The kickstart is in broken bits, but the shaft doobry it attaches to is fine. I have ordered a kick start.

I do have a Haynes Manual. Apparently it was a runner when it went into the barn.

I am doing lots of looking, reading and thinking. At the moment am seriously considering taking it all apart, if just for the learning experience.

It's not that reg Kickstart.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 13:11 - 27 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

They are pretty simple bikes. If you do strip it and find you can't remember where bits go then there are quite a few others of us on here with an H100 who can take pictures for you.

There are things I need to sort out with mine. Headlight for example. There is one on there but it is too small (hence the mounts are bent it to attach it). Slowly sorting it out as I feel like it.

All the best

Keith

PS - pity about the reg. WIJ243 was my first bike.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:39 - 28 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet if you clean the carb, give it some fresh fuel and a new sparkplug, it'll start.

If it has been sat for a long time, the clutchplates may well be stuck together so if you go for a bump start, make sure the brakes are working.

You can start an H100 by simply putting it in second and paddling it along with your feet.

I have one too. Awesome wee bikes and do cracking wheelies. Smile
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Quornholio This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stickybackbob
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:17 - 01 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fully rebuilt an H100a for my ladyfriend. CMNSL didn't cover the A model but my local library had the micro-fiches so got hard copies of those. Found them very useful especially for things like cable and wire routing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 05 Aug 2014    Post subject: Re: H100sd Project. Reply with quote

MCW wrote:

https://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q709/MCW999/2014-06/DSC_0085_zpsgm1pirko.jpg

i've got a set of clocks in nice condition i don't need for my project anymore.

gimme a shout if you want them, i'll dig out what i paid for them and i'm happy to let em go for the same

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:29 - 05 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If MCW doesn't want them and they are for an S2 (MCW has an S, the clocks are different) then I would be interested.

Actual clocks in mine seem usable but the housing is a mess.

All the best

Keith

MCW
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 05 Aug 2014    Post subject: Re: H100sd Project. Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
MCW wrote:

i've got a set of clocks in nice condition i don't need for my project anymore.

gimme a shout if you want them, i'll dig out what i paid for them and i'm happy to let em go for the same

YES PLEEEESE!!! Razz

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 05 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Hi

If MCW doesn't want them and they are for an S2 (MCW has an S, the clocks are different) then I would be interested.

Actual clocks in mine seem usable but the housing is a mess.

All the best

Keith

what's the difference? the clocks on my s2 look exactly like the ones on his bike... will dig them out and put photos up and see what's what tomorrow evening

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:17 - 05 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

S2 has an extra warning light. If you look at the piccy MCW posted there is no high beam warning light on the right (which the later ones had).

All the best

Keith

MCW
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 05 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
the clocks on my s2 look exactly like the ones on his bike...

It's her bike. Confused Hope this doesn't put you off...
If they are the right size, with or without full beam light, I'd still really like them please. Wub Wub

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following this thread with interest, and look forward to seeing your example of Honda's answer to an RXS100 restored to it's former glory.

I still remember what a good wheelie machine the H100 was in comparison to a bodged de-restricted TZR125L, back when I was 17 and my mates had the above bikes.

_Troy_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain isn't slack Shocked

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

right you are about the high beam light. noticed when i went to have a look...

https://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee419/ocatoro/10557273_10152523579840795_1425202844759930293_n_zpsc9f60d7d.jpg

literally only just opened them. box was still sealed from when i got them 18 months or so ago

MCW
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still like them please. How much do you want for them?

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 06 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

paid £35.... next cheapest set at the time was £85. which is the reason i snapped them up despite not really needing them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 265 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2