Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Bike, er6f vs Street Triple? Update!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: New Bike, er6f vs Street Triple? Update! Reply with quote

Ok, so Im back after a bit of a sabbatical, new job etc etc.

After riding the ybr for over a year now, time for a step up. I have done loads of research on-line and looked through the forums. I thought i would post the new bike question that would be specific for me:

At the moment I am leaning largely towards a post 2008 er6f, (prob 2012)

The deets:
-budget £3500
-Im 5"10
-I will be using it to commute 15 mins each way to work every day.
-I want a bike thats good for that, but loads of fun for the weekend.
while top speed riding will be fun, i will be more looking for a bike thats agile and pulls away fast in the smaller a and b roads.
-there will be the odd weekend of the mrs jumping on the back for weekends away.
-looking for the newer models ideally, but not brand new.
-reliability is key.

Suggestions would be fantastic, any reason not to get the er6f?

Thank you Smile

Last edited by Tracer1234 on 16:49 - 16 Apr 2015; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jaloopa
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:07 - 07 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an older ER5, good first big bike IMO. I imagine the 6 will be similar but a bit nippier.

It's a good commuting bike, comfortable upright seating position and all that. Nice and easy to ride (there's a reason a lot of bike schools use the ER models for DAS).

Had plenty of performance for me, I could get to 40 in second before realising it if I was gunning it. I wasn't comfortable going above about 90, but that was mainly because it's a naked bike and the wind gets very noticeable around that speed. I think the f stands for faired? In that case you'll probably be able to comfortably beat that.

The ER5 was fine 2 up, but noticeably more sluggish. Not a problem for me since the missus wasn't keen on too much acceleration

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 08 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very much a matter of personal choice. My wife has an ER6N and loves it, I find it a bit vibey and dull but I am used to bigger bikes.

Personally I would prefer an IL4 to a twin but again that is purely personal choice and many people prefer a twin, especially in a bike of that size.

So my choice withing your budget would include..

XJ6 Diversion
Fazer
Newer Bandit
ER6

Just try and test ride to see what you like. Thumbs Up

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 08 Apr 2015    Post subject: Re: New Bike, er6f? Reply with quote

Nathan0834 wrote:
reason not to get the er6f?

Because if you stretch your budget just a little bit further you could have a new (pre-reg 2014) SV650 for near the same money.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/suzuki/sv650s/3220827/

Take a look on MCN. Even for the same money you could have a very low mileage 2012 bike.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 08 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stretch your budget a little bit further you can buy my 2013 plate ER6F. Mr. Green In green of course
and with approx 3200 miles on it, with Stompgrip and R&G bobbins fitted already. Renewable Kawasaki warranty
until June (can't renew after then because 2 years old.) for the sum of £345 for a further 2 years
manufacturers warranty.
PM me if interested. I've done my first year on it and am ready for something bigger.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 08 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always a CBR650F? Bit out of budget maybe but 2014 ones at £5500 have taken their big hit and would imagine hold there price pretty well from now, will have had first service etc.

I was like you a few months ago and was looking at all the usual suspects for 'first big bike' and liked the ER6F, considered cheap new SV650 etc and possible MT-07. Sat on the CBR first and that was it, all thoughts of anything else went out the window....Take my money, take my wife I want that bike! :/

Do I regret it? No I think it's a great all rounder fun easy bike but second hand would have been better, instant £1500 loss is hard to stomach!

Mind you was parked up next to an ER6F the other day. CBR650F is way nicer and classier looking IMO Razz (hehe runs and hides).

Edit:what about the FZ6R? wins in this motorcycle.com shootout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwwXYYH6ToE

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 08 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 minutes on an ER-6F, it will barely be warm. What sort of roads?
Both my big bikes take about 15 minutes to come up to full operating temperature.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:00 - 08 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an older Kawasaki twin, very reliable. ER6 owners I know like them a lot.

SofaBear
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:05 - 08 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a YBR to an ER6f.

I like it, its a good jump up imo. Plenty of grunt for where its important and is very versatile.

Im 5'11" and find it can be a little cramped on the longer runs. It does get very vibey as mentioned above. Ive put nearly 8k miles on it since september and its doing fine.

alex965
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:26 - 09 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the naked version of the er6 for 5 days when I did my A2. Must have put a good 300+ miles on it in that time. Absolutely loved it. I am 6 foot and it seemed a good fit.

If I remember rightly the one I used was a 2011 model. It felt quite smooth and although mine was restricted to 47bhp, it accelerated quite rapidly, especially from a standstill and felt at home doing speeds in excess of 70mph.

I mostly used it around Cornish A and B roads, and it was great for that purpose. It swept through the corners. It was a really pleasant bike to ride. It was really agile as well. I did my mod 1 on it and it was easy to chuck it around the course as if it was a little 125.

I loved the parallel twin engine so much that I bought an old gpz500 as my first 'big bike'.

Regarding vibrations, yes, as others have said, it does get a little vibey at high revs. I suppose it's all subjective, but I never really found that to be an issue.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 09 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my GF's ER6f, although the vibes get annoying, they are more pronounced at certain revs than others: E.g. 4k, 8k.

It lacks drive coming out of corners on the open road, I prefer my VFR for country riding. But I think it's a better town bike than the VFR, much more flickable, light and reasonably agile.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:12 - 09 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

So an ER6F wouldn't be much use on track days, and I'd be better off looking at a 4 cylinder 600 if I want to commute and push it at Brands Indy? I'll hopefully be fully qualified next month (touching wood).

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 09 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedPanda wrote:
So an ER6F wouldn't be much use on track days, and I'd be better off looking at a 4 cylinder 600 if I want to commute and push it at Brands Indy? I'll hopefully be fully qualified next month (touching wood).

I would think you would spend 90% of the lap with the throttle pinned shouting faster you bitch, faster Laughing

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 09 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I greatly disliked the ER6N I rode (think it was a '09 or '10). I thought it was uncomfortable, really bad for squashing testicles on the tank, sounded like a wet fart (when paired with the "look at me" lurid orange paint this becomes inexcusable) and the power delivery seemed a bit too linear it didn't have a spot where shit kicks in and makes you grin. I'll admit though I may be nit-picking as it's a bike I never wanted to like due to it being fucking hideous.

The kitten friendly sound and the power delivery could be construed as good points though if used as a commuter.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:39 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
RedPanda wrote:

I would think you would spend 90% of the lap with the throttle pinned shouting faster you bitch, faster Laughing

Hmm. Are SV650s any more nippy on track? Otherwise I'll probably have to wait a year or two.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedPanda wrote:
Hmm. Are SV650s any more nippy on track? Otherwise I'll probably have to wait a year or two.

SV would be a better bike on track, much more capable. I've seen quite a few on track days and they go well with a good rider. Ask Paddy if you want an opinion, he has one that he crashes rides on track.

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:49 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
RedPanda wrote:

SV would be a better bike on track, much more capable. I've seen quite a few on track days and they go well with a good rider. Ask Paddy if you want an opinion, he has one that he crashes rides on track.

Ha, thank you. I know Paddy has one but presumed it'd be a long way from a road one.

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advice everyone. All points taken.

At the moment my short list includes the ER6-f, mt-07, or if by budget can stretch, the street tripple

Points that are in my mind are:

I will be commuting, and i like the fairing on the er6f, but worried about the corrosion issue of the kawi'. (only commuting for 20 mins too and 20 mins back from work)

street triple looks like a winner, but the price and fairing?

and mt 07 is in the mix also.

Ok so question for you all, are there any model/years of these bikes that should be avoided, or considered above the others. e.g. i am aware that the 09 the er6 had big improvements.

Thank you all again. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan0834 wrote:

I will be commuting, and i like the fairing on the er6f, but worried about the corrosion issue of the kawi'. (only commuting for 20 mins too and 20 mins back from work)

street triple looks like a winner, but the price and fairing?

and mt 07 is in the mix also.

Ok so question for you all, are there any model/years of these bikes that should be avoided, or considered above the others. e.g. i am aware that the 09 the er6 had big improvements.

Thank you all again. Thumbs Up

For a 15 minute commute, a fairing will most likely make no difference to your comfort levels. If my commute was that short, I wouldn't require a fairing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:09 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

15-20 minutes suburban/urban filtering is not the same as 15/20 minutes leathering it along the bypass or motorway though.

You can add a screen to just about anything, mind.

You're not going to get an MT-07 for £3500. What you could get is a newish SFV650 / Gladius. If you're thinking about an SV650, I'd point at the Gladius as a more sitty-upright equivalent.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
15-20 minutes suburban/urban filtering is not the same as 15/20 minutes leathering it along the bypass or motorway though.

You can add a screen to just about anything, mind.

You're not going to get an MT-07 for £3500. What you could get is a newish SFV650 / Gladius. If you're thinking about an SV650, I'd point at the Gladius as a more sitty-upright equivalent.

I agree with Roger and don't be put off by the Gladius' name - that sticker peels off in one piece. Very Happy

Despite the fact the Gladius is named after Roman weaponry those crazy Japanese didn't figure that it also shares the derivation with a flower and sounds a bit like Gladys. Therefore any less-educated friends will take the piss out of the name. Also, Soylent Blue on here will tell you that it looks like melted bathroom furniture. IMO all other bikes are starting to look like it too nowadays with droopy headlights and enormo-exhausts.

It is the Ford Sierra of the contemporary bike world.

All in my humble and jaded opinion of course.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the summer, with good weather and light traffic, a 15 minute commute home can easily take a couple of hours. Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:59 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
don't be put off by the Gladius' name - that sticker peels off in one piece. Very Happy

£3500 gets you into the SFV650 era where Suzuki has peeled it off for you. Thumbs Up

djrikki
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:20 - 10 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I went from the 125 and was looking for something bigger. I didnt like the ER6N which I learned on, felt it was quite brash so when I passed I went to test an SV650 and found it lacking Sad They had a Yam XJ6 Diversion F sitting and I took that out and loved it. Kept it for a year and only replaced it last week. I found the I4 to be smooth and far more forgiving on throttle errors (of which I made many), the Divvy was also quite progressive and linear which I liked a lot.

https://i.imgur.com/DOPzkru.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2