BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My new bike!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:59 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: My new bike! Reply with quote

Recently I had been going out on my bike less and less. Partly because I had moved house and I had lots of stuff to do on the new house, and partly because of winter.

But mainly because I felt no need to go out on the bike. The bike didn't inspire me. It didn't make me want to spend five minutes unlocking my garage and getting my gear on.

Don't get me wrong, the TT600 was a really nice bike. In some ways too good. It went very fast and went around corners. However it was almost too good. It was very smooth, and it could go very fast without much perceived effort.

Anyway, as some of you may remember I test rode a Buell XB12R firebolt around November last year:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=67118

Well, after Christmas I decided to take the plunge, and I Part Exed my TT600 for the XB12R that I test rode. I picked it up on friday! I knew from my test ride that the Buell was loud, vibey and had huge gobs of torque, and above all inspired me. All of the attributes the TT600 did not have in my eyes. Oh and the Torque = Shocked !
https://www.marjay.co.uk/photos/rightside.jpg

And I'm very very happy. I was worried that living with the bike might cause an issue and things like the headlights would not be as good as I had hoped (as I had test rode the bike during the day). I was wrong. The headlights are pretty good, the bike is comfy and still as fun as I remember and its very very quick.

https://www.marjay.co.uk/photos/front.jpg

The tyres are a little worn, but the bike is in excellent condition and has obviously been looked after. The previous owner has fitted some manner of aftermarket exhaust system and a LSL Superbike bar conversion with some gold Renthal bars. That does sound pretty bad taste, but they actually (oddly) go quite well with the orange wheels.
https://www.marjay.co.uk/photos/frontwheel.jpg
https://www.marjay.co.uk/photos/clocks.jpg

I'd probably rather have had bars in another colour, but I can live with it. Especially as the previous owner left the Clip Ons at the bike shop, so I have a choice now!

https://www.marjay.co.uk/photos/renthal.jpg

Having a browse through the owners manual today I discovered (as per my earlier thread) that Mr Erik Buell has given me a clear and concise suspension setup guide based on rider weight! I'm not sure how much difference the flat bars make to this, as I expect the clip ons put a lot more of the rider weight over the front wheel, but so far I have been riding hunched over the bars whenever I have felt the need to 'press on'.

Wind protection is not as it might be, so I have ordered a smoked double bubble screen to replace that ugly opaque black one. The original screen is translucent orange to match the wheels, but I thought better of going back to a similar screen (I don't have the original...).

Plus the bike has precious little in the way of drop/crash protection so I have ordered R and G racing crash protectors, spindle sliders and fork protectors. That should at least stop scratches in a low speed drop.

Having had a bit of a browse through the very comprehensive (and very full of warnings about riding too fast or braking too hard or making sure you ride on the right side of the road... that being the right hand side!!!) manual I decided to set up my suspension for me. I managed to do this with ease except I don't have a 1" AF spanner to adjust the forks! Doh!

I had forgotten that the bike would be in inches and 'ths' of an inch, but its okay because I have a load of imperial tools from my uncle that I thought would be useless. Funny how things turn out!!

I had taken off the seat to get at the rear shock:

https://www.marjay.co.uk/photos/undertheseat.jpg

when I noticed that there was something hidden in the seat unit, behind the little cubby hole where the toolkit sits, near the taillight. It looked like a H-D keyring. I resolved to remove the tail unit and try and see what it was.

https://www.marjay.co.uk/photos/seatunitlarge.jpg

https://www.marjay.co.uk/photos/seatunit.jpg

it turned out to be the spare key! Laughing it was looped through the taillight wire, and obviously placed there for a reason. I suspect it was in case the sellers ex wife had taken the bike when she divorced him... I'm guessing he could then take it back!

I had spoken to Martin at MTC about the guy who was selling the bike (the dealer was selling the bike on his behalf) and he had to sell as his wife left him at Christmas and he had to get money to pay for (her half of) his house. I assume that he was worried something might have happened to the bike during this acrimonious dispute. I doubt it was so that he could nick the bike back from the next owner, because I doubt he would have gone to the trouble of re-registering his private plate, and taking the clip ons and top yoke into the dealer after I had bought the bike!

Anyway, I digress...

The Buell is an excellent bike which pulls like a tractor and yet is flickable like no bike I have ridden bar my TZR250. I think the flat bars go a long way to help this, and as such I will probably leave them on there. Still, I'd like to give it a go with clip-ons, as they are how the bike was originally intended.

The finish is excellent, and you can tell a LOT of thought has gone into it. Even down to the fact that the plastics are not painted, but are red all the way through. This means if you scratch the bike, you do not lose the colour!

https://www.marjay.co.uk/photos/tank.jpg

The main annoyance to me is the imperial fasteners, but most of them are torx bits anyway and all the ones I removed today were of the same size as the torx key in the toolkit. Oh yeah... I meant to say. The toolkit is like a small pencil case made out of webbing, and contains a screwdriver, a wire for locking your lid to the bike, a torx key, and a preload adjusting spanner. Simplicity itself!

I have only really been on a few short 'in town' runs, and one motorway blast, but the bike has conducted itself superbly. The only downside being that it doesn't have enough wind protection to enable you to wear jeans in January on the motorway... but hardly any bike does!

In town the bike is nimble and weaves easily in between the 'pillow' type speed humps near my parents house. Its useable torque is great for pulling out and blasting away, in fact I haven't wheelied a bike when changing into second since my old NS125 with the really really sharp powerband!! The bike feels lighter than the TT to heft about and maneuvre through traffic, despite giving away 10kg dry to the aforementioned Trumpet. I suspect this is due to the engine being air cooled, and the erstwhile Mr Buell's mass centralisation efforts.

When I first took the bike out on saturday, I was aware that I was on cold tyres, but was unprepared for the extra leverage that the wide bars gave me when banking into a salt strewn roundabout. The rear tyre scrabbled for grip, but I felt every moment through my arse on the seat and through the bars. At no point was this scary, just a bit of an eye opener and really goes to show the true quality of the XB Chassis.

In conclusion, I'm as happy as a pig in ...sh... err Sugar! Smile The bike is all I have expected and hoped for, and more. The only remaining question mark is over long term reliability, but I doubt this is much of an issue with regular servicing.

I don't think I'll take it out *all* that much until the weather gets a bit warmer, because I am acutely aware of the thin smattering of road salt everywhere, and the lack of grip that diesel strewn junctions afford. Even so I think I'm likely to sneak off now and again to the garage to have a peek even if it isn't to go for a ride.

You know what that means??

Mission accomplished!! Mr. Green Mr. Green Dance! Clapping
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:08 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see the wheely pics next time you lot go out to the local ind. estates Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:09 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do reckon white salty roads are slippy or do you just not want to get salt on the bike ?

im not trying to be clever, its a genuine question, does dry salt make the road slippy ?

nice bike description by the way

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:13 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:
so do reckon white salty roads are slippy or do you just not want to get salt on the bike ?
bit of both really. They used to spray the road with a kind of brown salt. Now it seems to be like the stuff I put on my dinner!

I have certainly had a couple of bottom twitching moments with the rear tyre, but its probably more due to cold tyres than the salt itself. The salt attacking the bike is also worrying though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 19:18 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice bike Cool

Going to have to get that custom title changed though "But it's American!" Laughing
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:18 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I mention that it was torquey and very loud?? Wink

tatters wrote:
Going to have to get that custom title changed though "But it's American!" Laughing

Naah. I've carefully avoided arguing 'for' the Buell in the same way I argued 'for' my Daytona 955 when I joined the forum... I like my custom title anyway, it suits me.

And I haven't deserted Triumph, I'd still have a Daytona 675 if I didn't think that I might drop it and crack its immaculate panels! Smile

Last edited by MarJay on 19:21 - 31 Jan 2006; edited 1 time in total

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 19:19 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had a few lock ups and monday it stalled when i locked under heavy breaking

Very nice bike you go there, last time i was at boxhill there was one on those and was very different, going to do anything to it or leave it how it is?

kenny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:48 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike mate bet you cant wait for the summer trips out on her

Stu_666
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:59 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice mate Thumbs Up Nice styling features on it like the exhaust just behind the bellypan. Would'nt think it'd go but it fits in nicely there.

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the buells especially the black or white one's.

you may already know this, (coz I couldnt be arsed to read your long thread) I got told once that those bikes have lots of unusual tools you'll have to buy to do basic serving.

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:35 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike Thumbs Up. I like Buell's innovative ideas like fuel and oil in the frame, Coloured plastics etc. Does the vibration become intrusive on long rides (the buzzing balls syndrome) Laughing ? How many miles does a full tank of fuel take you?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:49 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrml76 wrote:
Nice bike Thumbs Up. I like Buell's innovative ideas like fuel and oil in the frame, Coloured plastics etc. Does the vibration become intrusive on long rides (the buzzing balls syndrome) Laughing ? How many miles does a full tank of fuel take you?

Not done a full tank yet, and the only real vibration issue is in the right footpeg at town speeds. Otherwise I don't notice it.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
[The salt attacking the bike is also worrying though...

Coat the bike in Scottoiler FS365. Great stuff at stopping corrosion. Its a beatiful bike, look after it Thumbs Up

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 22:29 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always polsih metal bits with wd40...

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drooling

Would you like some white 'go faster' stripes on that red paintwork? Shifty

Chr!S
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:33 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well written thread, good content and pictures. Thumbs Up

How do you find the clutch?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:02 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chr!S wrote:
Well written thread, good content and pictures. Thumbs Up

How do you find the clutch?

A little heavy when I have to hold it in for a period of time. No worse than the Daytona or the SV clutches though. Smile

farmer giles
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:07 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bike looks cool-and fun! hope you enjoy it
marjay wrote
Quote:
They used to spray the roads with a kind of brown salt.now it seems to be like the stuff i put on my dinner!

thats because they put sugar in it.Well not quite sugar but a kind of by product that you get when you make sugar from sugar beet-its a bit more complicated than that but if you find you are so bored that you need something to read its on the british sugar website...i'm a boring farmer type so i go on there for fun Thinking

Parmo Paul
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:21 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up there!! Thumbs Up

I've liked the looks of the Buells for a while as they seem so "unique".

I've also noticed the change in salt used on roads. They used to be the be brown salt rocks but now very fine salt is spread. Probably due to lots of complaints when the spreading trucks blasted the passing cars. Lets hope the weather warms up so you can get out there. Must be painful to buy a bike and have it sat there.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:42 - 31 Jan 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmo Paul wrote:
Must be painful to buy a bike and have it sat there.

Welcome to my world! Smile

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:25 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write up!

What sort of mileage are you expecting to do on it? How long is the belt meant to last?

I have fancied an unfaired xb9s for a while but have been a bit apprehensive about the lack of high mileage examples.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:46 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:

im not trying to be clever, its a genuine question, does dry salt make the road slippy ?

nice bike description by the way

Dry salt will make the road slippy for a couple of reasons.
It fills the tiny cracks that provide something for the tyre to grip.
And it provides a perfect micro ball bearing coating to the road.
And it's slippy just on its own too (coeficient of friction)

Nice wheels. Your good health to wear them. Laughing

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 02:55 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexy bike Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Is that the buell that can lean over really really far and is one of the best handeling road bikes Question

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:04 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Sexy bike Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Is that the buell that can lean over really really far and is one of the best handeling road bikes Question

Yes best handling bike ever according to Bike magazine.

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 01 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike! I am serously considering something like that as my next steed! Thumbs Up
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2