Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The story of my CB550 ratbike - Now hardtailed!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jandjsnh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:16 - 18 Jul 2007    Post subject: Rockin kewl Reply with quote

Love the scoot and I get the feeling you and I are kindred spirits.

My karma isn't enough to rate but its primo posting as far as I am concerned. Later, CRASH aka: Jamie P

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 09:56 - 18 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i dont really like rat bikes but theres something quite cool about yours Thinking

And 20k km?! how long did that take?

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:56 - 23 Jul 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Embalmer
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:00 - 07 Sep 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was googling for a cb550 mudguard and this link appeared to here, after reading this I had to reg with site to post and say well done m8 what an adventure, beats Ewan Mc Gregor with his back up crews doctors helicopters etc. I have been riding bikes for 25 years and the furthest I have been is the Isle of Man Smile. Also I have a cb550 rat/chop myself and I wouldnt go any further than the chippy and back on that Smile. Heres a pic. of when I bought it for 32 quid a non runner

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/Dodgy_Embalmer/DSC01006.jpg

this is it as work in progress

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/Dodgy_Embalmer/honda001resize.jpg

JackDietrich
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:32 - 16 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb thread mate, properly inspirational. I've not long been riding, largely inspired by my Granddad's tales of going round Europe on a war-wounded BMW R/75 he nicked off a disbanded regiment in '45. Neither plastic sportsbikes nor £10,000 cruisers have any appeal to me; in my eyes this is what it's all about. I'm already looking on eBay for a rusted garden ornament to call my own.

b-f-c
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:16 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackDietrich wrote:
....I'm already looking on eBay for a rusted garden ornament to call my own.

Time to pimp www.ratbike.org then - occasionally rats appear for sale on there Smile

Last edited by b-f-c on 15:13 - 17 Oct 2007; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

richard green
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:40 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent and a big thank you from me for writing such an interesting thread , really really really enjoyed that .
All the best for your future projects and i hope to read about them on here Wink Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 17 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates?

I'll bring me camera tonight, you going to be able to make it?
Actually looks pretty nice out for once..

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well okay then, here's an update on what I've been doing with the bike lately.

I spent all of last winter buzzing around the peak district making a nuisance of myself on the bike, but took the bike off the road at the start of summer to lend my carbs to me dad. When I brought my sidecar outfit back from a two and a half week European tour with knackered rear shocks I realised I could nick the shockers off the 550 and turn it into a hardtail. In the end I didn't use the 550 shocks on the sidecar outfit, but by that point I'd set my heart on hardtailing it, so went ahead anyway.

Stripping down the bike, ready to begin work:
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/cb550_story/part-two-1.jpg

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/cb550_story/part-two-2.jpg

Buying steel new from a steel merchants is not that cheap, plus you have to buy it in fixed quantities, eg steel flat comes in 6m lengths. Since I don't really have a source of scrap steel, I decided to do the hardtail using the steel of the existing frame. The seat rails/subframe were not long enough to reach down to the end of the swinging arm, but if I added on the lengths of tube I would have to cut off the the diagonal upright bits, they'd reach. I decided to do a proper job, and slugged the joins with steel sheet bent into a tube which would be a tight fit. I wasn't very happy with the strength of the very thin-walled tube in the way that I was using it, so I really went to town gusseting the corners. I also made an effort to do this neatly with smart curves, to get a more professional looking result that on other things I've made.

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/cb550_story/part-two-3.jpg

Neater welding than on previous work, and nice clean curves:
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/cb550_story/part-two-4.jpg

I was originally going to make a rear mudguard which hugged the wheel very closely, then stick the numberplate and rearlamp on that. However I realised it would be much quicker to just stick the plate and lamp on the side and not bother with a mudguard, and that this would also give the bike a far more extreme look.

Looking well 'ard:
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/cb550_story/part-two-5.jpg

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/cb550_story/part-two-7.jpg

I didn't have any ideas on where to gets springs to make a sprung seat from, so I decided to weld on solid seat-rails (the old pillion footrest mounts), and make do with a sore arse till I could pickup a sprung seat from an autojumble. However once I actually rode the bike I soon abandoned this plan as every little bump in the road was painfully jarring my spine. A member of the RBZ forum came up with the solution which he'd used on a previous hardtail, a doorhinge and an old shock spring welded to the seat and and the bike. Now I don't weigh very much so after cutting my shock spring in half I found both half-springs would have been too stiff, so I had to go for a mono sprung seat. I think I'd prefer the look of the traditional twin springs, but this seat works really well and makes a massive difference to the pummelling received by your back going over bumps.

Dodgy sprung seat, plus even dodgier electrics lurking underneath.
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/cb550_story/part-two-8.jpg

No room for niceities like airboxes on a bike like this:
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/cb550_story/part-two-6.jpg

I also took the time to weld on the old pillion footrests to the engine bars, so I now have fold-down highway footrests Cool And I just had to weld on an ammo crate - This bike just wouldn't be the same without some army surplus stuck on the back.

Ready to rock!
https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/cb550_story/part-two-9.jpg

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/steven.coy/images/cb550_story/part-two-10.jpg

The bike is not just a project though, and I hope to put it back into use as a daily commuter at some point. I figure the exhaust is the only thing that takes the piss too much for this, so I have plans involving twin high level pipes going down the left side of the bike, into a big ugly silencer that looks like it came off a tractor mounted horizontally above the rear lamp. Also gonna make a bobber-style short mudguard. Before that though I will be riding it over to Holland next month for a ratbike rally - I have no doubts that the bike will get me there Thumbs Up

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 18 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embalmer wrote:
Also I have a cb550 rat/chop myself and I wouldnt go any further than the chippy and back on that Smile.

Very nice, I do like the lowered seat-rails look when done right, and I would have done this to my 550 had I not decided to hardtail it. What you need now is a motocross type high mudguard with your headlamp perched near the end of it, and a high-level horizontal exhaust silencer.

Colinwall wrote:
I still want to read your big account of your huge tour of europe.

To be honest I'll probably never do one, can't really find the motivation. No matter how much detail you describe something in, the only way you'll understand something like that is to do it yourself. Three months of my life spent living on a motorcycle - absolute paradise. Wake up in the morning, drag yourself out the tent, then pick up a map and decide where you riding today. Find yourself somewhere that's no fun, then just ride somewhere else. Weather's shit, then ride to somewhere where it isn't.

Richard Green wrote:
All the best for your future projects and i hope to read about them on here

Well I posted some pics in General Bike chat when I started making my sidecar outfit, but nobody really seemed very interested. I have plenty of photos showing the process of making it, plus photos taken during a tour of central Europe and the alps, and plenty taken whilst touring Scotland a month or two later with my mate Mouse, who was also riding an outfit but with his Rottweiler in the sidecar. Maybe I will post something here on the forum at some point.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 20 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuckin hell nath that looks mean Cool

Will make sure to look out for you when i take the whore to R+S 2008 Thumbs Up

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Nath
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 20 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:

Fancy a campin trip in January?

Last year about 7 or 8 of us spent a weekend in a field by a pub in rural Derbyshire, the Winter Freezeup. This year I reckon there'll be about 12 or so people - Enough for a decent pissup but still a small scale affair. But don't get me wrong, it won't be a cliquey or close-knit group, if you like bikes, camping, drinking, and talking crap, then you'll fit right in. It's people from the RBZ, so expect to see some ratbikes. I reckon there'll be another guy there on a ratted cg125 Smile

Jenks
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 21 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

and somebody on a nicey nicey GSXR750 or FZR600 lol!

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 21 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
virus wrote:

Fancy a campin trip in January?

Last year about 7 or 8 of us spent a weekend in a field by a pub in rural Derbyshire, the Winter Freezeup. This year I reckon there'll be about 12 or so people - Enough for a decent pissup but still a small scale affair. But don't get me wrong, it won't be a cliquey or close-knit group, if you like bikes, camping, drinking, and talking crap, then you'll fit right in. It's people from the RBZ, so expect to see some ratbikes. I reckon there'll be another guy there on a ratted cg125 Smile

Fuck yeah!!!!!

If im not at college ill be there Thumbs Up

Added you to my friends list so you can see my contact details

Cheers
John
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

vruumvruum
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:56 - 31 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

yow mate,
it is absolutely awesome to do that very impressed stunning ratbike i wish i could do that would u lend it to me to do a europe trip with?!?!?!!?

Bru
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:20 - 31 Oct 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does that hardtail skip off the line when you hit bumps in the road? Does it not make the ride skittish? I am not talking about racing here, but even blatting around some slow bends, I have been upset by bumps, and that's on a 'standard' bike. How do you deal with that?

Petrovitch
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:58 - 01 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent mojo points to you Thumbs Up I look forward to ratting a bike soon myself

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 01 Nov 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

im starting to look forward to the freeze up now mate Smile

Just getting some knobblies sorted for the cg and some 'touring' kit (jerry can and 2 .50 cal tins instead of the pillion seat Laughing )

Cheers
John

brockster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:26 - 14 Jan 2008    Post subject: Re: The story of my CB550 ratbike - Now hardtailed! Reply with quote

Nath,

Thanks for the inspirational post. Thumbs Up

I too have landed a '76 CB550 for US$235. When I checked it out, I was able to get it to run with starting fluid, so it's not quite a birdbath yet. Very Happy
https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/Brockster22/Posted%20to%20ADVRider/1976-Honda-CB550-garage-600h-rr.jpg

brockster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 03:37 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

More: powerwashed it this past weekend. Smile
https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/Brockster22/Posted%20to%20ADVRider/Chong-powerwashed.jpg
Nasty, nasty carbs! Shocked
https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/Brockster22/Posted%20to%20ADVRider/Chong-carb-fly.jpg
https://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t177/Brockster22/Posted%20to%20ADVRider/Chong-carb-bowl-mung.jpg

How do you clean something as filthy as these buggers? Sad
I've got carb cleaner soaking in the bowls. And I am cleaning the rest of the mess with spray carb cleaner.

Any proven ideas appreciated!

Big Pete
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:44 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alloy wheel cleaner, available from most car places. BTW, I reckon you have a set of Yam wheels on your bike.

brockster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 05:34 - 21 Apr 2008    Post subject: Mags Reply with quote

They're a set of Lesters. Cool

I've got the rear of the bike stripped to just the swingarm and rear wheel is on it. Carbs needs rebuild kits, but I have the float bowls near spotless.

Just have to force myself to properly label all the bits and doodads. I know if I don't, I'll be regretting it later.

Picked up a '82 XJ750 Midnight Maxim with under 2800 original miles for $50 bucks last weekend with only two issues.

1. No title (but have the phone number of the last legal owner).

2. This is a bit more problematic - it has been parked outside, uncovered since god knows when. It's about the same shape as the 550 that started this thread. The sticker on the license expired in 1994. I believe the engine is locked up. I've got a withces brew of WD40, PB Blaster, and Seafoam in the cylinders to work on that.

Even if the engine is screwed, and if I can't get the title, I'll still have more than $50 worth of fun fiddling with it. Wink

brockster
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:27 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! I'm not trying to hijack this thread Shocked - Shocked I have a how to question.

The exhaust is off of the bike and being painted black with BBQ spray bombs.

I have the rear of the bike stripped to the frame now. Once I have the front of the bike supported, are there any other precautions that I need to watch for before tearing into removing the front end?

Shaane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 22 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

08 Nov 2006 Shocked

Why not make a new thread and let this one die mate?
EMRA Roadstock #92 - Paperwork Permitted.
Previous: 1992 DT125R
Current: ~ 2005 ZX6R C1H

DidierD
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:12 - 23 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaane wrote:
08 Nov 2006 Shocked

Why not make a new thread and let this one die mate?

I'm glad he's resurrected it, awsome thread Razz

31st March 2008 - Fully converted from four wheels to 2 sets of two wheels Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 344 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4