Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


A2 Route and Mileage of Used Bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Lanman
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:49 - 08 Jun 2006    Post subject: A2 Route and Mileage of Used Bikes Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just passed my CBT and I was surprised at the difficulty of doing this course in a single day (it's quite an endurance test if you ask me), but as it turned out, I did quite well and absolutely loved it! The freedom of roaming the roads on a motorbike is really wonderful. The road awareness learned from commuting by bicycle for years really helped me I think. Now, I just got to get a bike...

I'm 28 and was originally planning to take the DAS route after the CBT, but now I realise, I'm very happy to ride a 125cc around for quite a while and then just take the A2 license test in, say, 3 or 4 month's time. I wouldn't have a problem with the 33bhp limit on the A2 license for 2 years, with the possible exception that the sub-33bhp bikes seem few and far between. The Honda CBF250, looks like a solid and beautiful creature though. Does anyone think there are any problems with the A2 route?

As far as 125cc bikes go, I've had a good look around now, and the latest Yamaha YBR 125, to me seems to stand out above the rest. It's gorgeous, a bit bigger than other 125s, and doesn't have the (IMO) nasty cheap look of the 125 sport-imitation bikes. Also, economy is really important to me, and I read that people get around 150+ Mpg out of this bike - fantastic!

New, YBRs are £2K OTR. There's a used, mint condition 2005 one at my local dealer, for £1600 with 3050 miles on the clock "just run in". I haven't got a feel for motorcycle mileages - can someone tell me, is that a low mileage, and a correspondingly appropriate price? - Thirty 100-mile trips seems quite a lot to me, but I appreciate for a motorbike it might be peanuts!

Many thanks, Alan Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:40 - 08 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The mileage is average, for a year old bike. You can except something like that to cover at least 50,000 miles before it's fit for the scrapheap, and many cover considerably more than that. However it is most certainly not 'just run in'.

However the price is a bit high, I think. I'd expect to pay around £1400 from a dealer, but dependant on the condition £1500 is an OK price. You should get at least £100 off through haggling, try for £150 and start at £300. Be prepared to walk out the door if they push too hard back, there are others you can buy. But they most likely won't let you walk out.

Get as much as you possibly can thrown in. As a dealer, they're more likely to give stuff free with the bike than anything else, to keep your business.

Try getting:

Extended warranty
Locks (disc and chain)
Helmet
Jacket
A free service
Etc etc. Obviously not all of these. Wink

Also have a proper look over the bike (preferably take a friend who's in the know) and take money off for any consumables (tyres, chain) that look worn. Or get them to sort them out before buying.

As for your tests, you may find that 33bhp is boring once you're on a bigger bike and want more and more. However, if you do go this route, remember you can buy a larger bike and restrict it. You can restrict 200bhp bikes. Smile

Personally I'd go the DAS route. It doesn't restrict you to smaller bikes, but you still have the choice to ride them - the best of both worlds. The only disadvantage is that on your test you'll be riding a 500, which will be more powerful, bigger and heavier than you'd be used to with a YBR. But you can jump that hurdle when you come to it. Smile

What are you intending to use the bike for? If it's just for commuting, the YBR is a great start, it's reliable, economical and cheap to run. But if you're looking for something to enjoy on weekends, consider a 2 stroke like a Yamaha DT or an Aprilia RS, they'll knock your socks off compared to the YBR.

HTH. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lanman
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 08 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rookie,

Thanks for all the useful info! I was thinking about haggling, but wasn't sure if this was acceptable/what the status quo was. I'll have the confidence to do it now though and to ask about them "throwing things in" too.

I've since discovered BikeTrader, and quite a few YBRs for sale up and down the country - several of them are a better deal with about half the mileage of the one at my local dealer for the same money. Some of them offer delivery too, though it remains to be seen how much that would cost Wink And I'd have to consider the inconvenience of ordering a bike from, say, 200 miles away.

I do have one question about some of these bikes though: some of them are labelled "import" or "parallel import". Such bikes are usually 2005 models with 0 miles on the clock, therefore unridden. Also, they tend to be "sported up", with an added nose fairing / fly shield and sporty design on the fuel tank. They tend to be around £1700 (don't know if this includes OTR charges, but it would have to for me to consider them). Do you know if these "parallel imports" are dodgy and to be avoided?

There are also a few used bikes at good prices from traders and private sellers - if I had to pick up a bike from half way across the country (i.e. drive it home), I take it I'd have to have insurance sorted for myself first? Apart from that would I be free to simply drive it away from a private seller without doing any correspondance with the DVLA etc (i.e. do that at home later on)?

From what you say, I think I'll probably be OK with the A2 route, as I'm not a major power-fiend Wink and am happy with getting loads of experience before the 33bhp limit lifts after two years. The DAS would be an extra £250 for me, which is affordable, but probably not worth the considerable hassle just to allow me to get on large bikes a year earlier (taking into account I'd probably keep the YBR about a year anyway). Thanks for the restriction tip, I will keep that in mind Smile

As for the use of the bike, it'll be for inter-town commutes of around 25 miles twice a week, and one or two in-town commutes of about 5 miles during the week. At the weekends, once I pass my test, I'd like to plonk my girlfriend on the back of it to go hillwalking/rock climbing anywhere inside a range of about 200 miles. Hence the YBR, with it's pillion seat, seemed a reasonable choice for a first bike, rather than something like the DT or RS which you mentioned. Perhaps 200 mile trips with it seem a bit crazy though? I wouldn't mind so much that with someone on the back, it'd probably only go at 60 Mph Wink

Thanks for any advice on above Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Keir
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 08 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would advise going the DAS route. the smaller bikes are all well and good but as soon as you try a slightly bigger bike you'll want one. Maybe not for the outright speed but the refinement, power and stability are very noticable and useful especially if your carrying a passenger.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.57 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 44.85 Kb