Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


L plates are dangerous

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

sunbear
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: L plates are dangerous Reply with quote

I usually ride without my L plates (naughty I know) but had to put them on for my DAS assessment on Saturday. I thought i would leave them on. So on I'm on my way to work this morning and effing car drivers start getting right up my ass, pulling out in front of me and all sorts. None of this behavior without L plates Mad Is it just me or are L plates dangerous. Not cos of the riders, but because car drivers see an L plate on a bike and decide to try and make them fall off Neutral
____________________
Bikes had : BMW F650, suzuki tr50, gt125, SV400, GSXR600 SRAD. Honda CBR900RRP, CBR600FX, CBR1000F, VT600, Transalp 600, mtx125, nsr125r, CB500T, Yamaha fy50, tzr125, tdr125, XV535, Diversion 600, Fazer 600, TDM850 MK1 & MK2, Majesty 400, XV 1100. Cagiva mito evolution, Aprilia rs125, Piaggio x9 125. DNA 125 . Suzuki Bandit 600, GZ125 Marauder, RF600 , RF900RS2, Kawasaki ZZR400, ZX6R Ninja, ZZR600 . Ducati 750 Sport . Triumph Tiger 955i. CURRENT : 2004 Kawasaki Z750 and LOVIN IT !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:07 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

drivers see an L plate and after a few seconds they go "oh noes an L plate!!! I must over take at all cost no matter what sort of risk im putting myself and others in!!! blind corners??!?! they are less of a risk than an L plate!!!"

or at lest thats what i think goes through their minds, drivers will always try get round an l plate, even if you are going at the speed limit they will always try an over take, sadly the road is full of idiots.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:25 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think I get more problems from other vehicles than any one else in the road. You do get the odd person doing stupid over takes when they are speeding, but not really that often and I always ride with L plates. I just hold a road position about 2/3rds the way out and show people that i have just as much right to be on the road as them and if they want to over take they can do it properly. Only time i did have a big problem with people getting angry, always doing dangerous over takes and riding right up my arse was when id only just done my CBT, was still restricted and rode in the gutter. I think you must have just had a bad journey
____________________
Rieju MRX 50 Castrol Edition
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

simon1221
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:54 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are just as likely to be a twat if you drive like an idiot, or dangerously. In the end if your not going 10% over the speed limit people feel the need to overtake anyway.

If you dont like it go take your test Wink
____________________
DNA50 (sorry) ->> TZR125l >> GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jay_666
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything i've found that (around my area) peaple are more considerate if you have L plates. They are to me anyway Razz
____________________
CBT - Done | Theory - Passed | Test - 4th Oct [PASSED!]
https://www.bikepics.com/members/jay666/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lumphammer
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 26 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:18 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRX Steve wrote:
I dont think I get more problems from other vehicles than any one else in the road. You do get the odd person doing stupid over takes when they are speeding, but not really that often and I always ride with L plates. I just hold a road position about 2/3rds the way out and show people that i have just as much right to be on the road as them and if they want to over take they can do it properly.


Would totally agree there - make your presence felt and don't be intimidated by the odd tosser.

Had one yesterday who was so intent on passing me that when he did at well over the 40 limit he got his picture taken by a very smart yellow box on a pole. I had to restrain myself from a) giving the customary hand gesture and b) falling off the bike laughing.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

APNess
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:35 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the "L plate target" theory. On my Cg125 all I was bothered about was sticking to the speed limit and getting some confidence up. Had all manner of tosser boy racers pass me (limit is 30, they are doing 50-60+) in their chavmobiles (saxo, rs turbo with noisy blow off valves etc etc yawn.) only for me to potter by when they stop for traffic. To be fair to some of them they did pull far enough over for me to squeeze through when I caught up, others in Imprezas etc tried their best to be tossers and make sure I couldn't filter through. Maybe that's just the general attitude of drivers in Leeds/Bradford.

Worst of all were taxi drivers. Wankers. Most of the time they weren't in the mirrors cause they were trying to get so close to my rear tyre. Can't do much about it either. If you chin one 50 others come out of nowhere to act as "witnesses."

Having L plates on is a dangerous time for us biker types - let's be careful out there!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:48 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only experience I've had of riding with L plates was on my CBT and my DAS and I found other road users weren't a problem. When I learnt to drive a car though I had a number of experiences concerning other road users bad attitute towards learners. On one occasion a car crashed into a bollard because he tried to overtake me as I entered a 30 zone from a 40 zone. I could see what was about to happen, my driving instructor told me not to brake and let the tw@t crash, so I did!
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sunbear
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:15 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh believe me i make my presence felt on the road. I have from the moment i got my first bike, a Suzuki TR50 (like a monkey bike Laughing ). Must have just had a bad journey Neutral
____________________
Bikes had : BMW F650, suzuki tr50, gt125, SV400, GSXR600 SRAD. Honda CBR900RRP, CBR600FX, CBR1000F, VT600, Transalp 600, mtx125, nsr125r, CB500T, Yamaha fy50, tzr125, tdr125, XV535, Diversion 600, Fazer 600, TDM850 MK1 & MK2, Majesty 400, XV 1100. Cagiva mito evolution, Aprilia rs125, Piaggio x9 125. DNA 125 . Suzuki Bandit 600, GZ125 Marauder, RF600 , RF900RS2, Kawasaki ZZR400, ZX6R Ninja, ZZR600 . Ducati 750 Sport . Triumph Tiger 955i. CURRENT : 2004 Kawasaki Z750 and LOVIN IT !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.8 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 62.84 Kb