Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Hi x

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

bikergill
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 11 Jun 2006    Post subject: Hi x Reply with quote

Hi. I'm 17 next month and my friends tell me I'll be able to get something bigger than my ped then. What can I ride after my birthday and what are the rules?

Love G
x


Last edited by bikergill on 19:00 - 17 Jun 2006; edited 6 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

christof
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 27 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:01 - 11 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got a CBT I think you can ride a 125.

You'd need to sit your proper bike test and be over 21 for anything bigger than that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Handsome
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 11 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong.....

Go onto the DVLA Website and it explains it all on there.....

Edit, Forgive my Ignorance Gill, Welcome to the Forum..... Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous Bikes...Honda NSR 125 RR...Kawasaki Zephyr 550...Suzuki SV 1000 S...Yamaha FZ8...Current Bike...Suzuki GSX-R 750...


Last edited by Handsome on 17:19 - 11 Jun 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:17 - 11 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Gill, this link should tell you all you need to know:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=33113

You can either ride a 125 on a CBT with L plates, or do your A2 and ride anything upto 33bhp with no L plates. That is the basic gist.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikergill
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:51 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really want is a fast bike. When me and my friend were in Ibiza last year some local boys took us out on their sportsbikes and it was absolutely fantastic, gave me a real buzz!! Thats why I got my ped. What kind of fast bikes are there that are 125cc? Will I still have to wear L plates on it when I'm 17?

Thanks, G x
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:56 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh when your 17 (as long as you have a valid cbt) you can ride any 125 (restricted) on L plates.

there are some fast bikes out there, im told the nsr125 is fast, i bought one just havent used it yet Sad it looks amazing though and hasnt been that hard to service so far Smile mot thursday with any luck so ill tell you if its a good bike Wink

you could always do your test and get a restricted 400 or something?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:14 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikergill wrote:
What I really want is a fast bike. When me and my friend were in Ibiza last year some local boys took us out on their sportsbikes and it was absolutely fantastic, gave me a real buzz!! Thats why I got my ped. What kind of fast bikes are there that are 125cc? Will I still have to wear L plates on it when I'm 17?

Thanks, G x


There is the RS125 and the NSR125, both good choices if you only have a CBT and want to go fast, though legally should be restricted. You will need to display two L plates, unless you do your test then it's ok not to. Though I agree with ncrn where he says to get the A2 done and get a restricted sportsbike.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:03 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book a riding course for the date when you turn 17 and rtest maybe 5 days later...intensive course. Then you can take your pick of fast bikes, jsut get them restricted first. Thats the best balance of speed and reliability.

I never say promote the ideas of two strokes to newbie riders... the cost and general crap reliability are enough to put most off which is a shame.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

phantomtek wrote:
Though I agree with ncrn where he says to get the A2 done and get a restricted sportsbike.


I'd be doing mine now if i had the money, but being only just 17 and a student I cant afford to, so in a year I should be doing it (maybe summer) I think it will be better on a bigger bike, but hey if I can gain some more experince on a 125 its all good =)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikergill
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to do a test if I don't have to, the thought of that is a bit scary. Is it difficult? I want a bike in red, like the one in my picture but I expect I need a licence for that. I'm told that red suits me!!

Thanks, G x
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sunbear
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Cagiva Mito Thumbs Up Looks like that pic but a bit smaller. Very fast too when de-restricted Thumbs Up
____________________
Bikes had : BMW F650, suzuki tr50, gt125, SV400, GSXR600 SRAD. Honda CBR900RRP, CBR600FX, CBR1000F, VT600, Transalp 600, mtx125, nsr125r, CB500T, Yamaha fy50, tzr125, tdr125, XV535, Diversion 600, Fazer 600, TDM850 MK1 & MK2, Majesty 400, XV 1100. Cagiva mito evolution, Aprilia rs125, Piaggio x9 125. DNA 125 . Suzuki Bandit 600, GZ125 Marauder, RF600 , RF900RS2, Kawasaki ZZR400, ZX6R Ninja, ZZR600 . Ducati 750 Sport . Triumph Tiger 955i. CURRENT : 2004 Kawasaki Z750 and LOVIN IT !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Thumbs Up
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:50 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this is what i have, can ride it on l plates (well i will be when its passed its mot)

https://www.dropbears.com/m/models/honda/images/nsr125r.jpg

and this is the cagiva mito that sunbear mentioned

https://www.cagiva.cz/Cagiva/mito.jpg

it all just depends on what you can afford (dont forget you will have to insure it
aswell, and also think about how much it would cost you to fix something that went wrong)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gill,

The test isnt all that difficult so long as you know the protocols (like which foot to put down at junctions, what observations to make etc), have a decent road sense (you may or may not have this depending on experience) and some confidence. You will have to do manouvres like hill starts, u turns, pushing the bike around and emergency stop. If you can keep your nerves under wraps and not leave your indicators on you should be ok. A few days with a decent instructor should sort you out with most of the above, perhaps doing your CBT and getting a restricted 125 would help you out with road sense a bit more. Thumbs Up

Wink
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bikergill
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've done my CBT for my ped. My friends brother says I can use that to ride a 125, is that right? That Cagiva looks great! I'll have to ask my Dad about one for my birthday. How much are they? What do you mean de-restrict it? How do I find a "decent" instructor - are some of them not so good?

I think if my dad gets me one of of those Cagivas I might buy that "pink power ranger" outfit from the other thread to celebrate!

Love G
x
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:51 - 12 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikergill wrote:
Thanks. I've done my CBT for my ped. My friends brother says I can use that to ride a 125, is that right?


Yes, though it would have to be restricted.

bikergill wrote:
That Cagiva looks great! I'll have to ask my Dad about one for my birthday. How much are they?


Prices vary.

bikergill wrote:
What do you mean de-restrict it?


Make it full power not restricted to conform with the conditions of your provisional licence.

bikergill wrote:
How do I find a "decent" instructor - are some of them not so good?


Where do you live? You should ask people from round that area to recommend an instructor.

bikergill wrote:
I think if my dad gets me one of of those Cagivas I might buy that "pink power ranger" outfit from the other thread to celebrate!


Pics?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikergill
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Rotherham (that's in South Yorkshire). My friend's brother told me to look at an Apria RS125 as well, he says they're pretty good looking. He's going to take me to a dealer in Sheffield to have a look after school, so I get to go on the back of his bike cos my ped is too slow (and he's cute too)!

The power ranger pics are in the other part of the forum. Or do you mean pics of my ped?

G x
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:48 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nevermind Laughing

Well seen as you are going to Sheffield, don't go to Hillsborough motorcycles to buy the bike, they are shocking, though you could probably get a feel for the position there. Infact don't buy from any dealers at all, buy private.

Though if you live in Rotherham I think houlsby is still selling his RS125, quite new and looks good too, get in touch with him, he lives in Rotherham too but doesn't come out on rideouts with us Sad

Anyway, hope you enjoy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikergill
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

G x

Last edited by bikergill on 23:26 - 13 Jun 2006; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kevingranger
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought you rode a gilera runner? that looks like a yamaha xerox to me. you want to buy a new sports 125? your looking at £3500 for a new 2t 125 eg RS125, Mito i would pick up a recent second hand one as a first bigger bike.
great to see you interested in bikes, hope the bike hunting goes well.
kev
____________________
I love my VFR400
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hooky
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 05 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Razz I can see one or two bcf lads sending a few pm s after that pic-post.

Please be aware they all will be dreaming of you washing down their 125s etc while getting a perky.

Me Question Ive got a 250 thats very dirty, you need to take a trip down south TODAY and I will supply a sponge and bucket Wink Shifty Praying

BTW you are HOT HOT HOT Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bikergill
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:00 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!

Hopefully my Dad wants to keep me happy and can afford a new bike for me! Last thing I want is one that breaks down. How cool would that be!?! Anyway, I'll check out that Apria bike tomorrow, if Helen's brother is a bit more reliable and can take me to the shop!

And to the guy that sent the message, I've put my birthday in the first post.

Love G
xxx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kevingranger
Nova Slayer



Joined: 03 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

a1trackdays wrote:
OMG Razz I can see one or two bcf lads sending a few pm s after that pic-post.

Please be aware they all will be dreaming of you washing down their 125s etc while getting a perky.

Me Question Ive got a 250 thats very dirty, you need to take a trip down south TODAY and I will supply a sponge and bucket Wink Shifty Praying

BTW you are HOT HOT HOT Razz


lol i knew someone was going to comment on your pic bikergill.
hope you get on the road on your 125 and enjoy yourself. That sounds cool you should definately have a good look around all of the bikes and sit on them etc to see if you find it comfortable and research your bikes so you know what maintenence they need eg top up with two stroke oil etc.

p.s nice pic!!
____________________
I love my VFR400
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:08 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Thumbs Up

You have a canny resemblence to Melanie Sykes Laughing

https://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38260000/jpg/_38260073_sykes300.jpg
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

phantomtek
Lil Joe Tek



Joined: 20 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 13 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well don't buy new, the amount depreciation is disgusting, plus an 06 one is £3800, I think, you sure your Dad will pay that?

Anyway the reason why you shouldn't go to Hillsborough is because they sold someone my Dad knows an RSV1000 and it had something wrong with it that they didn't tell him, and they wouldn't take it back.

This thread will soon be swarming with people complementing the picture by the way Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 124 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.53 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.71 Kb