Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


New Mobile!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
 Topic moved: from Random Banter to The Geek Zone by G (14 Jun 2006 - 13:36)
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:39 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: New Mobile! Reply with quote

Just got a new phone yesterday and there has been a fair bit of phone chat on here recently so I thought I'd dish out a bit of a review!

My new phone's the Samsung E900. Before this I’ve had the Samsung D500 and I have to say that they have made some nice additions!

First of course is the look of the thing. It’s a hell of a lot slimmer than the D500, they’ve removed the normal buttons from the front and replaced them with touch and heat sensitive areas. This does make the phone looks sleek and clean, but it also means it’s REALLY easy to catch a button you don’t mean to. It can be as annoying as hell but already I’m getting used to it. Nice this is that they have now attached the cover for the charge point to the phone so you don’t loose it!

There is all the other stuff you now expect with any phone, 2MP camera with a decent flash, MP3 player and all the normal calendar and alarm stuff. One nice thing is that the phone comes with a USB cable to connect it to a PC easily. To be honest this is one of the easiest phones I’ve set up with a PC, it really works a treat, you also have Bluetooth, but I’m afraid IR has been removed. The phone can also output to a TV, although the cable to do this isn’t supplied.

One disappointing thing that has been carried over from the D500 is not being able to select MP3’s as message tones or alarm tones. You can use them as normal ring tones but your stuck with crappy stuff to wake up to and to announce your messages. Talking about the alarm. I use mine everyday to get me up for work. The phone sits next to my bed charging. I go to sleep, the alarm goes off, I wake up.

Or that’s how it was with the D500

A little different with the E900, I plug it in to charge, go to bed, don’t go to sleep. When this phone is plugged into the mains the screen WON’T FECKIN TURN OFF!!!!! The whole bloody room is lit up! You don’t need an alarm cos the bugger won’t let you sleep! Even if you turn the phone over you can still see the light!!!

Anyway, I eventually managed to block off the light and get some kip.

There are a lot of nice little additional functions they have added since the D500. Changing the font of numbers that you are dialling is now an option. A pretty useless one, but the new ones look nice, being either written by a quill pen or appearing on little post it note type things.

3D Vivid text messaging is something that took me by surprise! Not sure if this have been on any other models but here is the basics of it. First of all I turned it on and went into an old message. Instead of just appearing the text was typed across the screen in a typewriter type fashion. Fair enough, nothing too exciting there. I went into another message and that’s when the phone started to show off! Certain words trigger animated graphics in the message, fair enough I’ve seen this with smiley faces and the like but some of the ones I’ve found are as follows, any thing to do with love causes a big heart to come bouncing onto the screen. Anything to do with Home or House brings up (Go on, have a guess!) Yep a house! Bored brings up ZZZzz’s, anything to do with Phone or Call brings up a ringing phone. I’m sure there are loads, I just need to find them all!

Another cool option is the “Mobile Tracker” I put details of someone’s mobile that I trust. If anyone tries to change the SIM card in my phone, it will send my designated person a text message on the sly so the person who has just changed the SIM won’t know. It will let me know what number is now using the handset, what numbers they are calling, and I’m not sure if it can pick up position or not!!! Fantastic!

There are loads more nice options. Random Wallpapers are cool, every time you go into the menu then come out, your background changes! Great if like me you can never make your mind up, although it seems to only work with the supplied backgrounds and not with ones you add yourself. You can set downloaded videos or videos you’ve recorded as your background though which is a nice touch. The phone can also view Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF and TXT files which is handy.

The phone comes with some stonking games on it, though some are no a “try and buy” basis. Full games are Some space shooting thing TimeRider2, a nice puzzle game called Bobby Carrott (You’re a bunny funnily enough!). You also have trial versions of FIFA2006 (Pretty Crap) Lemmings (Bloody Awsome) Asphalt Urban GT (Old school race game, not too great) and Midnight Pool (Not played yet). All the trial games have the option to buy them if you like the demo, not sure how much they are though.

The screen on the phone really blew me away, it is so clear it’s unbelievable! It really does look like they have pumped up the resolution of this thing, not sure though.

Well, I’ll get back to playing with it and see what else I cn find out.

Let me know if you’d like to know anything in particular!
____________________
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck Norris?

All of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

@17500rpm
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the E900, fantastic phone, well chuffed Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need Pictures of it, a name of a phone means nothing to me.

I dont care about phones i got a sony ericsson, its got a shit cam, the lot lol, i normally bang it on my desk then throw it on the floor if it doesn't take my card.
____________________
www.gixerjunkies.net www.gixerjunkies.net www.gixerjunkies.net www.gixerjunkies.net
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

tribal_tiger
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:10 - 14 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

EllioTT_GiXXeR wrote:
We need Pictures of it, a name of a phone means nothing to me.

I dont care about phones i got a sony ericsson, its got a shit cam, the lot lol, i normally bang it on my desk then throw it on the floor if it doesn't take my card.


Here's the phone

https://www.onecompare.com/images/NewsImages/samsunge900.jpg

My phones normally get bashed to crap, but my last one did OK. I think I should really stop keeping it in the same pocket as all my change!
____________________
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could Chuck Norris?

All of it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Josh|RD125LC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 16 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tribal_tiger wrote:
I should really stop keeping it in the same pocket as all my change!


Lol, I realised where I was going wrong and have stopped doing that now. Used to keep my keys in the same pocket as well, ouch poor phone.
____________________
Honda MBX50 | Yamaha RD125LC | Suzuki RG125F Lucky Strike | Suzuki GSF600S
RD125LC Pictures
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:33 - 17 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice phone, it was a toss up between that and the W810i when I renewed my contract the other day, but I went with the W810i because I like Sony Ericsson and I liked the fact it was a walkman too.

Must say I'm very impressed with it so far, although the speakers aren't that great but with the headphones it's fine. Quite impressed that it comes with a 512MB memory card as well, I've got about 15 tracks and 2 hour long mixes I did on there and it's still got 382MB free.

Nice phone mate, they do look very slick that's for sure, Thumbs Up.
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 1.8 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 53.89 Kb