|
|
| Author |
Message |
| phantomtek |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phantomtek Lil Joe Tek
Joined: 20 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 01:38 - 14 Jul 2006 Post subject: PC Problem [HELP!] |
 |
|
Right, I put the other HDD I was talking about into my PC, formatted it and put all my music games and videos onto it. This cleared up about 45GB from my main drive and left me happy because I thought it may run abit sweeter than it did when it had less than 2GB free, but alas, the stupid thing starts up so slowly, crashes randomly, net stops working and won't shut down, just gets to the old 'Windows is shutting down' and will stay there for ages. It once stayed like that all night, so I know I am waiting long enough.
This has caused to me resort to 'dirty shutdowns' and I know this is damaging to the PC so can anyone tell me how to make the PC run faster or shutdown right or what is causing the problem. Oh before you say I have defragmented both drives twice over and checked the registry for errors etc.
Would the position of the little cap on the HDD pins make a difference? I've tried it in 4 of the 5 positions. Is it general conflict? Do I have to reinstall Windows?
Any help gladly welcomed  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| firefox |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 firefox World Chat Champion

Joined: 20 Oct 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EuropeanNC30R... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EuropeanNC30R... Gay Hairdresser
Joined: 20 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| innominate |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 innominate Brolly Dolly

Joined: 18 Nov 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:00 - 14 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
As stated make sure your drives are set-up as master and slave via the pins. If you need to use Cable Select (usually labelled CS) make sure both drives are set-up for this and your boot drive is the first drive on the cable and the other is using the connector at the end.
However, IMO you may have upset the registry when copying over the games, etc. if you just used copy. There are utilities to do the copy which then update the registry so Windows (don't you just love it ) knows where to find the files. If you've already used one of these utils for the copy then, as suggested, do a clean up of broken links (I've used 'Find Junk Files', see here but v4 is out somewhere and you may find something better/newer) and use SpyBot/Ad-Aware to clean up the system.
If that doesn't help then as said wipe and reinstall. I know I guy who does that about every 6 months anyhow just to get around the clutter left by MS software
HTH  ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| phantomtek |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phantomtek Lil Joe Tek
Joined: 20 May 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:34 - 14 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Right cheers, I will have to get a disc for Windows then from somewhere. I suppose I've backed up all I needed to so it's ok.
I have no idea which way the pins go, but I turned off and disconnected the HDD from the computer and it loads faster but still doesn't shut down, so I think I need to reinstall Windows etc. which is abit gay because I like my PC how it is
Cheers for the information guys, it's a great help.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| phantomtek |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 phantomtek Lil Joe Tek
Joined: 20 May 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 82 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|