Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


CBR 600 RR now or Suzuki GSX-r600 (GOT THE RR)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: CBR 600 RR now or Suzuki GSX-r600 (GOT THE RR) Reply with quote

Dilemma. I have a CBR125 to commute on and it perfect for it but I want a bigger bike as I want to go to see my bro in wales and mates in corwall etc + go with a pillion on occasionally (so long trips forget the 125)
Now I have the end of this year to pay for my car which is sapping 400 quid of my wages a month and until then I cannot afford to buy or run another bike. I intended to wait till the cars paid off and wait a few months building up a hefty deposit then get a 2 year loan.

Thing is I see Honda are doing a 3yr intrest free and 150 quid deposit (190ish a month) if I sell my year old 125 I should get min 1600 for it which will cover the deposit and the loan payments till the cars paid off. Its a cracking looking bike (rr) and the reason I dismissed it was a) looks a bit too similar to the current bike, b) costs 500 more than the suzuki (which matters not if I have to pay interest on a load for a gsxr (prob cost me more than the honda in the end))

Also I dont really have room for 2 bikes and a car at home so having 1 bike would be better but I am worried about parking the bike at work (extra weight and dropping it on my home made ramp to get over 2 steps into the building) To be honest will I use the 125 after riding a 600 but when the weather gets nasty (nov dec, I do ride every day throughout the year) will I want to ride my 600 and wish I'd kept the 125 Aaaarggggg its not as easy as i't thought

I've got 11 days to make up my mind (offer ends 31 july) do I go for the cheaper in the long run sensible honda
I know some people say the rr is too easy to ride but surely that would be an advantage coming up from a 125 but the position is more relaxed on the gixxer and I am commuting on it, double aaaarrrggggh

Opinions please
____________________
Prev CBR600RR (06) Orange/Black
CBR1000RR (09) Repsol
Now Ducati 1199 Panigale


Last edited by Psychonaut on 10:23 - 31 Jul 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:57 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be other offers, there is no rush on this one.

I'd also bear in mind that you can get a very very decent 600 for £2kish that will be as reliable, nearly as quick and much better for pillions.

Around a year ago I bought a 2002 Triumph TT600 for £2500 with 1600 miles on the clock. I am sure you could find a similar bargain Japanese 600.

Remember that you will be signing your life away on a bike which will massively depreciate in a short period, and will be very easily damaged if dropped etc.

I would reccomend a two or three year old 600. I believe Danny bought a very nice Kawasaki 636 for a reasonable price for example. Then if you ride it through winter or drop it etc, then it won't be so wallet shatteringly heartbreaking.

Also bear in mind that both the CBR600RR and the GSX-R 600 will be extremely uncomfortable and rubbish for pillions.

It amuses me that you say you are in a dilemma when all you really want is for us to justify you buying a spanking new 2006 sports 600!!! Wink
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:00 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have to decide for yourself mate, go and test ride both, stand back and see which one you like the look of best, which colour suits your Y-Fronts, etc. You will just get a load of people on here spouting out their brand loyalties rather than being objective, me included.

One thing I would say though, is if you're paying £400 a month for a car and riding year round, why are you spending so much on something you hardly use? Buy a 600, sell the 125 and use the car when you need to.

Oh and I know of a good Honda dealer if you want one. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:13 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought the car and had no interest in bikes,then last april I lost my parking space at work. Tried the bus for 6 weeks and couldnt stand it (20 mile round trip) getting home 1hr later then it got warm so on the bus sweating and everyone else stinks aswell. My bro came over with his brand new bandit and I really liked it,so looked into getting a bike 2 weeks later I had my cbt under my belt and my new 125 which I could park at work.
I just got it to go to work and back but found myself using it at the weekend and a love of bikes was born. I would sell the car but as MG have gone down the pan its worth 3000 less than it should be so I dont want to take that kind of loss and make is someone elses benifit I'd rather keep it and run it into the ground for 10 years. LOL I know you take a big hit buying new just feel happier knowing its been run in properly and not been crashed into a wall then bodged to sell. Dont mind the loan as I have been paying twice as much on the car. So dainesefreak who do you recommend avondale, streetbike?
____________________
Prev CBR600RR (06) Orange/Black
CBR1000RR (09) Repsol
Now Ducati 1199 Panigale
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and P.S. I dont want it too comfortable for a pillion as I'd get stuck taking the g/f out all the time Laughing . Need a bit of me time occasionally
____________________
Prev CBR600RR (06) Orange/Black
CBR1000RR (09) Repsol
Now Ducati 1199 Panigale
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kara
Crazy Courier



Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:22 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the CBR and buy a second hand bigger bike. You'll have enough money to get something. the insurance will be cheaper on an older bigger bike. You could probably get an older gixxer with the money from the CBR125 plus a little extra. Plus if you drop it you won't care as much and you'll probably learn lots from fixing it Smile

If you are dead set on a new bike, don't be fooled by the 0% deals, even with interest on top you can pick up pre-registered and cheaper deals.
____________________
NC30 + Bandit 6
www.eabikers.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:40 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't comment of the dealers here as some people may have had good experiences and some bad with those you mention. I've put my experiences in a PM for you mate. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:41 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem like the sensible thing to do is not to go and buy a brand new bike.
From what it sounds like, a CBR a few years old would be perfect.
I wouldn't want to use a brand new bike to commute on, you will only maximise the depreciation over the first few years. That depreciation alone could probably buy you a bike that will do everything you need.
____________________
GSXR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kara
Crazy Courier



Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:52 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the look of those 'ere thundercats for a fun sporty bike that is more than ha[ppy commuting! DIRT cheap to buy and they look great.
____________________
NC30 + Bandit 6
www.eabikers.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the way I'm thinking is get the supersports now while I'm still a supple (sound like a grandad now and I'm only 34) and go for the sports tourer type when i'm in my 40's. I know the most sensible bike to get would be a 3-4 year old CBR600 or F sport ride it , drop it then a few years down the line get a rr, R6 etc. I just dont want it to be a dissapointment cos I get home every night moaning that this hurts and thats aching and I wish I'd bought this bike 5 years ago etc...
____________________
Prev CBR600RR (06) Orange/Black
CBR1000RR (09) Repsol
Now Ducati 1199 Panigale
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:14 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to sound like a broken record but, I really would recommend a 929/954 Blade if you could get a decent insurance quote and did take the 2nd hand choice. It will do everything that you're after and has got fantastic build quality. I would rate it higher than the 1000RR for build and practicality too and it won't bite you unless you provoke it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I cant believe the depreciation
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-HONDA-CBR-600-RR-5-RED-TRI-COLOUR_W0QQitemZ330009157032QQihZ014QQcategoryZ9806QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
1 year old and the buy it now is £4750. Lost 2,500 in 1 year I'm shocked is this just a one off or cos its a private sale and he wants rid quickly. The bikes in dealers so far have been 5800 mark for a 2 year old one. I thought it would loose a grand a year so getting a new one seemed reasonable (ie loose a grand but make 500-700 in 0% finance) so getting brand new for 300 quid more (+ warrenty etc)
____________________
Prev CBR600RR (06) Orange/Black
CBR1000RR (09) Repsol
Now Ducati 1199 Panigale
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:58 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably because it's a 600, Blades hold their value much better, I was talking to a dealer about this on Monday in fact. Ebay is always going to be a much cheaper place to buy a bike from than an official dealer. It also depends on whether you intend to look for a px figure and a new deal when the time comes to sell or private sale.

Over the years I have always made a decent profit on buying new and px'ing, decent deals and sales. In fact my new Blade only cost me £3300 on the road.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, no way I'd get a new 600 as a 'first big bike' - they are very fast bikes and while they may offer a little bit more confidence inspiring handling, the main thing they offer over a five year old and much cheaper bike is the looks and the numberplate.

Personally, I'd say go for a £2k or less five-seven year old 600 and get a bank loan, if need be.
If you are going new, there was some very good deals on the zx6r around.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:10 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't like to have an accident & be left paying every month for a bike i havn't got (Touch wood you won't). Like above it's best to get a loan & get a 2nd hand bike. You can pick up a new shape RRs/r6s for £3500+
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cqueen
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:46 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a nice alternative...

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-HONDA-CBR-600-FS-RED_W0QQitemZ250009316162QQihZ015QQcategoryZ9806QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:32 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, must admit I do like the f sport.The only thing that puts me off is that when I was looking at the insurance on it (ebike) it cost the same as rr and the R6. This seems mad to me, so I ruled it out just because I could have sharper handling/more BHP for the same (insurance) price. I'm not with ebike this year so I may see what other quotes I can get. I guess i'm just worried that looking at 2nd hand I'll not spot something wrong with it then bin it after parting with the dosh cos its got a wonky frame. I could never sell something thats 'a dog' without being honest about it but I know there are plenty of people out there that will.

1) PX bike for new or pref pre reg bike (with loan)
2) Sell bike have no transport to work while I look for another bike (not really liking this one)
3) PX bike for 2nd hand bike at dealers (rip off 2nd hand price)
4) Wait till next year Sad
____________________
Prev CBR600RR (06) Orange/Black
CBR1000RR (09) Repsol
Now Ducati 1199 Panigale
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think you'd get £1600 for your cbr?

Aren't they jsut above £2k new? There was one on here for sale with less than 2000 miles for £1300. Something to keep in mind. Don't pay any attention to parkers guides and what not.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:40 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without sounding like McGee, used 954 for the win. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kara
Crazy Courier



Joined: 23 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 20 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

instigator wrote:
What makes you think you'd get £1600 for your cbr?

Aren't they jsut above £2k new? There was one on here for sale with less than 2000 miles for £1300. Something to keep in mind. Don't pay any attention to parkers guides and what not.


A friend on here sold her Repsol bike with a about 1k, rear hugger on a 55 plate for £1850, so if it's anything like that, there are buyers.

Personally, I'd just sell it and buy a SV650 or a bandit or something like that, just something bigger.

Buy second hand keep it nice and sell it for what you paid. Then you will have had experience of something bigger, a more comfortable commute. You could sell it and buy the sports bike 6 months or a year when you've saved up.
____________________
NC30 + Bandit 6
www.eabikers.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:38 - 23 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what I bought
Picking it up on friday, man this weeks gonna drag
____________________
Prev CBR600RR (06) Orange/Black
CBR1000RR (09) Repsol
Now Ducati 1199 Panigale
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:42 - 23 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's all this 7-8 months about then? Can you ride it straight away?

Very nice bike BTW, although they should only be sold in black. Mr. Green
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Psychonaut
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:30 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I wish they did an all black too (03 bike was I think) the fireblades are black Mmmmmm. You gotta see the orange in sunlight it looks stunning (even if it wont watch my red/white/black gear too well)
7- months as I cant afford the payments until then but using my old bike to finance it till then. So yes will be on it friday, scrubbing those tyres in
____________________
Prev CBR600RR (06) Orange/Black
CBR1000RR (09) Repsol
Now Ducati 1199 Panigale
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Slickfish
Crazy Courier



Joined: 24 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:41 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike mate!!!!
They are bloody fast mate, so be careful until your used to it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EllioTT_GiXXeR
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:27 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i am going to be selling my 06 plate GSXR K5 next year (standard)

Going to buy a cheap bandit to keep the miles down and i doubt i will lose any money on it from what i payed for it.

Only payed £5000, hope to get between £4500-5000 back Thumbs Up
____________________
www.gixerjunkies.net www.gixerjunkies.net www.gixerjunkies.net www.gixerjunkies.net
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 1.12 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 128.38 Kb