Sprint ST

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:23 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Sprint ST Reply with quote

Hi all,

Has anybody got experience touring on an ST?

Been looking and drewling over them in the Triumph shop in Dudley Port. Its just the kind of bike I like, fast, toury.

Its like a sporty Deuville, Ive read reviews of the Duey, which basically say its slow, heavy and unrewarding. Dont want that, I want a 3 pot, not 2. Wink

Thanks for any input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 04:25 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not ask them for a test ride ?

i think bike magazines like the ST

i think its more like a (better?) alternative to the vfr800, than a sporty deauville, but i could be wrong. I have heard it beats the vfr800 on price but you would need to check that.

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same engine in my Speed Trip and it's luvverly!

I was toying with the idea of taking an ST out on a test ride just to see if they have tweaked it from what I am used to! I personally think that it is a great bike from the look of it. Gives you all the ability to tour should you want to (Triumph are doing a deal atm with a top box and 2 side boxes thrown in if you buy it new) and you can also take all the luggage off and have a great fun bike to ride around at weekends or commute on. I guess it won't be quite as nimble as my Speed Trip, but what the heck, with that motor just open the throttle and grin!!

I have ridden a Deauville. OMG, a 90 yr old grandma cn run faster than that thing can accellerate. It just feels soooo slow and feeble!

Steve H
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 30 Jun 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to take one out last year - fantastic bike with a soooopurb engine/exhaust note (the popping and crackling on the overrun should've been set to 'The Snowman' instead of Welsh Warbler Aled Jones' wanky voice).

It pulls from everywhere in the rev range but at 7000 redline (from what I can recall - it may have been a tad more), I found myself changing gear a lot when pushing it.

Took the wife out on the back and she loved it, very comfortable and a million times better than what she's used to! The brakes were great, the ride faultless and it looks like Jessica Rabbit covered in Stella Artois and Pork Scratchings Thumbs Up

There was just something that I didn't find inspiring about the whole package however that's down to personal taste as opposed to any practical biking decision.

If I wanted a Sports Tourer I'd go for the ST every time Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 04:58 - 01 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glowing reviews, seems my search is over.

Personally, Id leave either the paniers or top box on for practicality (bringing the odd bit of shopping home is always a stretch with just a tank bag).

So, I know the bike, now all I need is the money, anyone want to lend me £8599 ? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 01 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy at the pocketgps has the bike you are talking about you might want to PM him.
https://www.pocketgpsworld.com
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 20:22 - 01 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

THCi wrote:

So, I know the bike, now all I need is the money, anyone want to lend me £8599 ? Wink

I still think you should get a test ride

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:53 - 01 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give it a test ride. It seems like a fine motorcycle, the only thing being picked at seems to be the finish on some of the luggage and a few odds and ends. Nothing too serious.

I know someone who has swapped his VFR800 for one, and seem relatively happy. It certainly got the edge on looks and goes quite nicely (extra 200cc to thank most likely).

I haven't heard of anyone being unhappy with it.

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:06 - 02 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conversation with the dealers would go like this:

me: "Can I test ride a Sprint ST, please?"

Dealer: "You got £8599?"

m: "Of course....."

d: "Yeah, right...."

Followed shortly with me being marched out.

Ill try and blag a ride ASAP though Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 01:53 - 02 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
I have the same engine in my Speed Trip and it's luvverly!

I was toying with the idea of taking an ST out on a test ride just to see if they have tweaked it from what I am used to! I personally think that it is a great bike from the look of it. Gives you all the ability to tour should you want to (Triumph are doing a deal atm with a top box and 2 side boxes thrown in if you buy it new) and you can also take all the luggage off and have a great fun bike to ride around at weekends or commute on. I guess it won't be quite as nimble as my Speed Trip, but what the heck, with that motor just open the throttle and grin!!

I have ridden a Deauville. OMG, a 90 yr old grandma cn run faster than that thing can accellerate. It just feels soooo slow and feeble!

I thought your speed trip was pilfered Rob? Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

THCi wrote:
The conversation with the dealers would go like this:

me: "Can I test ride a Sprint ST, please?"

Dealer: "You got £8599?"

m: "Of course....."

d: "Yeah, right...."

Followed shortly with me being marched out.

Ill try and blag a ride ASAP though Smile

You need to find out if you can afford it or not first? and if you actually want one or are just curious?

But test rides are easy to blag and just require a bit of talking and faigning a bit of interest in the bike you wish to ride and its easy enough to walk away.

As for the triumph sprint ST, it is supposed to be a nice bike. The initial reviews were over-the-top impressive as they are for many new bikes...but now it has been out for a while it has changed somewhat and lessened slightly but still retains good overall reviews. I think there have been some build quality issues? (hopefully someone can enlighten me or i'll look try and remember) But overall its a nice bike.

The old triumph sprint ST was an ok bike, but it was said that the daytona was actually a superior tourer to the sprint ST.

The Honda VFR800's in my opinion are the better bikes of this class...and dont be put off by all the negative hype because hype is all it is. The fule issues were rare and are apparantly resolved, and the servicing charges are blown out of proportion and Honda have actually given guarantees to the costs of servicing.

Have you also looked at large trailie bikes such as the triumph tiger, BMW 1200GS and Aprilia Caponord etc? I personally find these bike more suitable as tourers, but that is just a suggestion and a personal preferance.

Maybe also look at some other bikes such as Honda blackbird and the Fazer1000 (a good all rounder but very capable tourer)

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:01 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be able to afford, once my claim is settled, if not new then S/H. Im leaning to more wanting one atm, but will test ride it when I can get down the dealers! Smile

Someone else recommended the black bird to me, so Ill have a look into it. As for the Fazer1000, if its anything like the 2000 model 600 I had, it would be a POS for miles, miles miles , it was half way to rotting! Rolling Eyes

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

THCi wrote:
I will be able to afford, once my claim is settled, if not new then S/H. Im leaning to more wanting one atm, but will test ride it when I can get down the dealers! Smile

I see

In that case, test ride everything...including the ZZR1400 just for the hell of it Twisted Evil Thumbs Up

theres also the big muscle bikes that i'd add into the potential's list such as the Yamaha XJR1300 and the Kawasaki ZRX1200. These bikes are very capable tourers.

Just get test rides on all types of tourers and see what suits you best.

I dont know how far your insurance budget may stretch but as a good milemunching sports tourer I'd also look at the BMW K1200s

https://www.bmwk1200s.com/Images/K12S148.jpg

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg

THCi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:44 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not far enough, I recon Wink

I'd only have 1 years NCB, so chances are they might just refuse something like a K12s. It will be after the summer when I get this bike, so savings a plenty. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 284 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1