|
|
| Author |
Message |
| gimpy limp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gimpy limp Nearly there...

Joined: 19 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:46 - 22 Jul 2006 Post subject: mac G4 specs and upgrades? |
 |
|
What is the best thing to upgrade first on a mac? It's mainly used for desktop publishing stuff like Illustrator, quark, photoshop and the like? I'm sure I've heared someone say once that the processor speed is used more for that kind of work than the memory is? or is it the other way around?
This is the spec I've got:
- Powermac G4
- 450 MHz L2 Cache
- 1MB Bus speed 100 MHz
- 512 RAM
Should I increase the memory/ram or leave it as is or just keep a clean install with minimal programs on it?
It's a second computer just for design/work stuff whilst a seperate windows system is used for internet etc. ____________________ -=[Sam/b]=- cx500's the only way to travel, we do it in style just like jimmy saville
msn addy - [email protected]
https://pre-auto.com/cx500/rat_and_survival_gallery_2006 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gimpy limp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gimpy limp Nearly there...

Joined: 19 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 00:52 - 22 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Also what exactly is involved in linking a mac computer onto a network of windows systems to share files? Do you do it the same way you would link a normal windows system into a network? ____________________ -=[Sam/b]=- cx500's the only way to travel, we do it in style just like jimmy saville
msn addy - [email protected]
https://pre-auto.com/cx500/rat_and_survival_gallery_2006 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gimpy limp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gimpy limp Nearly there...

Joined: 19 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:12 - 22 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
ace, sounds easier than I thought it would, hopefully I'll be picking it up tomorrow or the next day, I was impressed by how smooth and geared towards design work they are, from using the works computers, that I decided to get one.
I noticed on the works computers you can set up where you want the ram/memory etc to be targeted in one of the system menus, is their a way to set the computer up for optimal performance (geared towards design work)?
Here's the other specs:
Operating system OXS 10.3.9
76GB (7200 rpm) Hard Drive (Is that hard drive good enough?)
Quarkxpress 6.1 passport
Indesign CS2
I use the latest versions of photoshop/illustrator usually.
I also have an older version of quark (4.2) because thats the version they use at work (certain features/shortcuts are not in the older version). ____________________ -=[Sam/b]=- cx500's the only way to travel, we do it in style just like jimmy saville
msn addy - [email protected]
https://pre-auto.com/cx500/rat_and_survival_gallery_2006 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tarmacsurfer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tarmacsurfer World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gimpy limp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gimpy limp Nearly there...

Joined: 19 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:19 - 22 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Do macs have a system restore feature like windows does? Something that I could install my main software onto a clean install, then back it up so it can be reverted to that state if it bogs down atall in a few months.
Any other tips/features on macs I should know about? I've Not had one before, i've always used windows systems.
What do macs have in the way or virus/adaware protection? I've heard they have better built in protection than windows does.
I use Zonelarm on windows but I think thats a windows program aint it? So wont be available for macs? ____________________ -=[Sam/b]=- cx500's the only way to travel, we do it in style just like jimmy saville
msn addy - [email protected]
https://pre-auto.com/cx500/rat_and_survival_gallery_2006 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 16:33 - 22 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| gimpy limp wrote: | Do macs have a system restore feature like windows does? Something that I could install my main software onto a clean install, then back it up so it can be reverted to that state if it bogs down atall in a few months.
Any other tips/features on macs I should know about? I've Not had one before, i've always used windows systems.
What do macs have in the way or virus/adaware protection? I've heard they have better built in protection than windows does.
I use Zonelarm on windows but I think thats a windows program aint it? So wont be available for macs? |
No, Mac's don't have a system restore feature, they have something better called an archive install if things go tits up. (Which they rarely do anyway on a Mac)
Which basically replaces all the main system files and saves them to a directory but it doesn't overwrite your documents and other data.
Also it doesn't bog down, with OS X being Unix based it can be left on for weeks, months or even years on end, only thing I will say is to keep it running smooth either learn to use Terminal and do Unix Cron tasks that way and daily maintainence or use an app called Cocktail or Mac Janitor.
My Mac currently has been up for 37 days and no sign of slowing as yet.
On the virus front, there are no known virilent viruses on Mac OS X, there are a few proof of concept ones which don't do anything, and a couple of trojans but nothing major at all, if your worried or like me sensible I use ClamX AV (which is a AV Program originally made for Unix that has been ported to OS X) cos even though now there aren't viruses there will be in the future.
Spyware really isn't an issue at the moment either, non of the spyware that affects windows affect OS X, which is why a Mac makes a better internet machine in my opinion. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| gimpy limp |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 gimpy limp Nearly there...

Joined: 19 Mar 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:18 - 22 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Is it difficult setting up one of these "system volume" things? It's a partition isn't it from what I understand? I quite fancy having just the main programs I use on their own partition but i'm not too sure what's involved as i'm still getting used to it all.
"Use intelligent partitioning
Using Mac OS X - you should generally try to keep your system volume as big as possible. Many applications (particularly ones from Apple - such as Final Cut Pro) require that you install them on the system volume. The file system that OS X uses (HFS+ or JHFS+) has some on-the-fly disk optimization that will help prevent massive fragmentation on that volume. This, in addition to optimizing your hard drive every so often, will help you get the best performance out of OS X. iDefrag from Coriolis Systems ($30 USD) is one good defragmentation/optimization tool."
https://guides.macrumors.com/Enhancing_Performance_Of_Mac_OS_X ____________________ -=[Sam/b]=- cx500's the only way to travel, we do it in style just like jimmy saville
msn addy - [email protected]
https://pre-auto.com/cx500/rat_and_survival_gallery_2006 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iCraig |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iCraig World Chat Champion
Joined: 05 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|