Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Riding without gauges

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Would you ride without a speedo?
Yes
51%
 51%  [ 31 ]
No
48%
 48%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 60

Author Message

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Riding without gauges Reply with quote

If when riding your bike you are screaming down the A roads without a care in the world at well over the ton, or gently filtering through traffic in and about town, do you really need a speedo for every day use?

I cant stand the dials and gauges that are on the FZR and am tempted not to put them back on again. The only one that I can see of any real use is the neutral warning light which could be rewired to a LED and mounted somewhere else.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need one since you can judge by pacing other traffic , but need one by law and can't but help glance down at it before going past a camera.

Pacing doesn't always work either cus there are many who are all too willing to go way over the speed limit which makes them think they can Pwn me (they can't I just don't think its sensible to race a Subaru @ 60mph on a 30mph road).

Maybe you should get a head up display instead.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my speedo broke I did ride the bike until I got round to fixing it, but I wouldn't deliberately disable it for the road.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lawnie
Nearly there...



Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be paranoid around speed cameras, more so than I am now!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

my speedo broke last time in scotland and i didnt ever fix it, thats like 3000 miles Laughing .
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tony532
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:02 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sod that mate the amount of coppers parked up on deserted roads every sunday in a radar van.
____________________
bikes owned :-

aprilia rs125 - suzuki gsxr400rrsp 1990 - yamaha yzf600r thundercat - honda hornet 6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speedo hasn't worked on my bike for the last 12 months.

I did get stopped for speeding, but I knew I was speeding (you could tell by the way it was topped out in sixth gear).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

wave2k wrote:
my speedo broke last time in scotland and i didnt ever fix it, thats like 3000 miles Laughing .


What super reliable bike was that on?
____________________
'90 TS50 > '04 Senda 125 > '91 ZXR400 > '90 CB-1 > '04 GSX-R1000 > '96 Bandit 600 > '89 ZXR750 H1 > '96 GSX-R750 SRAD > '98 RR-W Fireblade > '98 T595 Daytona > '03 Hornet 900 > '04 Fireblade > '16 GSX-S1000F (x2) > '23 XSR900
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:19 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a working speedo your bike does not comply with construction and use regs, and is thus considered unroadworthy in a legal sense. You'll probably get away with it, but if you were involved in a serious accident, for instance, they would probably realise it's not there and you'll be well and truly done over. Imagine - run over a child, policeman describes your bike as unroadworthy in court (even though it's perfect in every other sense) and you haven't much chance of getting out of it, even if the accident wasn't your fault in the first place.

You can probably get a replacement aftermarket unit, if that's any use?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KyleH
Two Stroke Sniffer



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:37 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one guage you need to legally ride is your speedo
even a bicycle one would do
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflex wrote:
What super reliable bike was that on?


it was on my cbr400, doing the wheelie road just outside glasgow in the end in couldnt take slamming down.

Still for a 18 year old 400 it didnt do half bad, more than i can say for the T reg 1998-1999 ?? ZXR400.

I dont just make up the whole kawasakis are rubbish thing, ive been there, ive seen it, ive smelt the blown gaskets and crushed pistons.
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:41 - 24 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get one of these
https://www.optitune.nl/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_108&products_id=1655
MRD(metrakit) also do a fairly sexy one looking much the same as this one really, however I think it costs a fair bit more.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Method
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:23 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes - because yes, i would ride without a speedo if it were to snap or something whilst i was out and about, or if i was going to get it repaired or i had to get somewhere - work for example.

But i do regularly check my speedo for many reasons - i dont want to get gayed by the police, i dont want to get gayed by hidden speed camera's, and mainly - speed limits are there for a reason, so it makes sense to try and follow them Very Happy
____________________
CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado Wink
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:45 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast_tzr wrote:
Get one of these
https://www.optitune.nl/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=107_108&products_id=1655
MRD(metrakit) also do a fairly sexy one looking much the same as this one really, however I think it costs a fair bit more.


And in English:

https://www.pmtuning.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PT&Product_Code=18-KOBA011B00&Category_Code=100-GAUGES
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kronjp
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 21 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:15 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get on for keeping regular service intervals if you don't have a speedo showing you how many kms you've covered? Go by the number of tank fill-ups?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:11 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronjp wrote:
How do you get on for keeping regular service intervals if you don't have a speedo showing you how many kms you've covered? Go by the number of tank fill-ups?


The bikes 17 years old and like a rusty turd, dealer / workshop stamps are the least of my worries Laughing .

The digital dash is cool, but would it be wired to any bike (as mine has a speedo cable, its not electronic)?
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GearboxGeezer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode with out a speedo for about 2 months, and I didnt really have any problems. Apart from it can be pretty scarey and annoying.

It can also be considered dangerous, since when you come to a camera your obviously going to slow down more than the car infront, and if the idiot behind you gets dead on the speed limit and isnt really consentrating, then you brake pretty hard or somthing because your not sure of the speed you are at... the rest explains itself Very Happy

I found it annoying as I just put my big bore kit on as well and I wanted to know my top speed Razz

They are simple to fix though, I was just lazey, my speedo drive ( the thing on the wheel, I think thats what they call it.. ) was the broken part, only took 20 mins to change, maybe its the same case for you? If you got one on the bike have a look at it, if it looks damaged then thats your problem, or look at the cable, unclip it and look at the ends of the wire, they should be square, but they can round off therefore they wont be working!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

suzi_bandit
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:49 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My speedo cable snapped at a guess about 5,000 miles ago. Although I bought a new cable straight away I was in no hurry to fit it. Rarely get cameras on the roads I ride, the vans and helicopter seem to keep an eye on the A40 on a Sunday when it turns into a race track so I stay clear.
I fitted the new cable a couple of days ago because I like to set the clock when I fill up with petrol. It's peace of mind for me to have a rough idea of when I need to fill up. I've forgotten a couple of times that I'd gone on to reserve and have almost run the tank dry.
What I have noticed now the speedo is working again is that my average speed seems to have gone up by about 20mph. Ooopsie!
____________________
I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vin
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's broken in my car. The only time its an issue is at speed cameras. I'd argue I am probably a bit safer without it as I am not constanly looking at the speedo and probably over compensate and drive more slowly in 30 limits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Twisted2004
Nova Slayer



Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:31 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road my 125 DT without a speed cable for about 4 months!

Just went at the same or slightly slower than other vehicles when going through traffic lights.

Mind u that bike was a heap of junk.....newish sort of bike and those with a bit of power - speedo is essential!
____________________
Previous : DT125 > XJ600S > YZF1000R > Honda CBR1000RR-8 Fireblade (White) - Stolen > Honda CBR125R> Honda CBR1000RR-8 Fireblade (Red)
Current : Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak (For Sale)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronjp wrote:
How do you get on for keeping regular service intervals if you don't have a speedo showing you how many kms you've covered? Go by the number of tank fill-ups?


I just do an oil and filter every couple of months and do the rest as I think it needs it. (I dinnae touch the tappets unless they are noisy for example). I usually give it a good once over after the winter for stuff like brakes, fork oil and coolant.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually check my speedo when I'm in built up/restricted-speed areas. I'd be too paranoid riding without one as a double check, even though I'm quite familiar with what my bike does gear/rpm/mph wise.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:33 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats the only time a lot of drivers or riders check their speed.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mad4it028
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

a supermoto dosnt have to have speedo , lights,indicators,or even mirrors for mot only a brake light
____________________
always looking to buy bikes crashed ,unfinished projects,none runners pm me
currently riding kawasaki z1000 only bike ive ever loved
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:25 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My speedo has not been working for the last... 2500 miles or so.

Broke on at the beginning of my trip to scotland, and havent fixed it since. I have a good sense of what speed i am doing from looking around me, or where my revs are for the gear i am in...

Top gear/12k and a police station coming up, time to roll off the throttle a bit Smile...

Bit serously am i the only one that instinctively knows what speed i am going (give or take 5mph) up to say 60....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.20 Sec - Server Load: 0.6 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 132.06 Kb