Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

WORLDS 1st (WIRE FREE) BLUETOOTH RIDER TO PILLION KIT

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

bnt76
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:22 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: WORLDS 1st (WIRE FREE) BLUETOOTH RIDER TO PILLION KIT Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

This may seem cheeky and in fairness more than likely is, we have a brand new product available called the Midland BT Intercom:

Blurb below:

Finally!! A rider pillion headset that requires NO CABLES / CONNECTORS between rider & pillion!!! Simply attach the two Bluetooth pods to your closed or open faced helmet and enjoy simple and clear VOX communications at real world speeds!

As an added bonus, you can also pair up the headsets with Bluetooth enabled mobile phones or radios for easy to use bike to bike or telephone communications

Specs:
- Bluetooth intercom enabled headsets for rider pillion comms
- Supplied in a twin pack with charger
- 3 way call support (mobile/rider/pillion)
- VOX technology with noise cancelling mic & automatic volume adjustment according to speed & background noise
- 7 hours talk time
- Water resistant
- Slimline speakers
- Easy to install and remover from helmet

If anyone would like more info on this or images etc then drop me a line at sales@alan-uk.com we do not sell direct but more than likely be able to point you in the right direction. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 16:41 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it stereo audio?

does it integrate with any GPS units like the garmin quest?

Does it support bluetooth audio from PDAs?

do you have any Bluetooth interfaces to PMR radio sets?

does it reside entirely within the helmet, or is there any bits
stuck/clipped on the outside like the Scala rider (which does sounds VERY similar to your product)

how much does it cost?

if using a phone or PMR radio with the unit, can the pillion take part in the conversation too?

is there any interface for Ipods, or other mp3 or audio players?

i think your claim to be thr first wireless rider-pillion sytsem is a bit misguided. I believe Dianese, Momo and BMW all have had bluetooth enabled helmets in the market at some point over the last few years.

tia

a

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 17:16 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

feef wrote:
is it...does it...

I had a look at the site click here and there seems bits to add on but not sure it's all singing and dancing (e.g. like hardwired Autocom unit).

Also, from an aesthetics point a lump stuck onto the side of the helmet doesn't appeal. Probably because I'm using a flip-up type at the moment. I'll wait for an integrated solution, or certainly one that I can tuck away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 17:28 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
I'll wait for an integrated solution, or certainly one that I can tuck away.

Ditto..

even 7hrs battery time isn't much when you're planning a week touring, if you can't easily charge it.

a

KyleH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 25 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much is it?
how much is it?
and its probably too expensive?

oh and sticks to your helmet ahahahahahaaaaaaaa youve got to be joking

chalky143
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:33 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good but i think it will be expensive. but u never know.
Previous bikes::cbr600 steelie race bike, 1989 Honda vfr750f, 2013 Honda fireblade, 2013 Ducati multistrata 1200s, 2012 Triumph street triple R, 1999 yamaha r6, vfr 800, ducati 600ss, vfr 400x2, ntv 650, bandit 600, cagiva mito 125, aprilia rs 50, honda c90x2, honda hornet 600x2, cbr 600, aprilia rx50, suzuki katana
My bike pics: https://www.bikepics.com/members/chalky143/

bnt76
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:44 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it stereo audio?

The slimline speakers are not stereo audio, however the do deliver crystal clear communications between rider to pillion and bike to bike.

Midland BT Intercom will connect to a bluetooth enabled GPS system, if the GPS is not bluetooth enabled we do offer a dongle that will enable a bluetooth connection.

It will support sound from a bluetooth transfer, i.e. if you have an mp3 player built into your phone then you can hear this in your helmet.

We do have a piece of kit called a BPA-100 that will turn a PMR 446 radio into a bluetooth enabled device for bike to bike comms.

stuck/clipped on the outside like the Scala rider (which does sounds VERY similar to your product)

It clips on to the outside of the helmet and you would tuck the mike in towards your mouth. The Midland BT Intercom is made by the people who worked on the Scala, however the BT Intercom is made to a specific design of our parent company.

how much does it cost?

As we are trade I cannot give you a finite price but the SRP is £179.99 - £185.00

if using a phone or PMR radio with the unit, can the pillion take part in the conversation too?

The unit will enable a 3 way converstion i.e. mobile caller, rider, pillion.

No interface for Ipods or MP3's although if they do not have bluetooth technology then again the BPA 100 would turn them into a bluetooth device to enable transfer between the two.

i think your claim to be thr first wireless rider-pillion sytsem is a bit misguided. I believe Dianese, Momo and BMW all have had bluetooth enabled helmets in the market at some point over the last few years.

To be honest this kit is the first in the respect that no one else has specifically created a comms kit between rider to pillion, BMW you need two helmets etc, which can cost. Our kit paves the way for anyone to have rider to pillion and bike to bike comms without the need for wires and is an affordable solution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:58 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about this then yes, the battery life is a bit poor, only 1 days riding. I suppose you could charge from the bike, but hey, isn't that a hardwired system! Rolling Eyes

Guess a useful compromise for me would be to have a bluetooth adaptor to fit into the hardwired box/amp so I can keep the phone in a waterproof pocket. However, as I've had little success with voice dialling normally I doubt it'll work for me when on a bike. Plus, do I really want to receive phone calls when I'm riding Confused Wink

Bluetooth adaptor for the MP3 player, again so I can keep it waterproof, would be an option I could go for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny

PostPosted: 11:35 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnt76 wrote:
As we are trade I cannot give you a finite price but the SRP is £179.99 - £185.00

i think it might be a difficult market.

Can get an Autocom or starcom for not much more than that, and they don't need additional dongles etc to add in much of the interfacing (execpt for the PMR radio obviously)

I'm also not keen on the idea of anything being stuck on the outside of my helmet, and for that reason, I'd not consider this unit.

I'm sure others won't mind the risk that it could catch in the event of an accident and break your neck.

a

Rob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use an autocom but changed to a scala rider. I often thought it would be a good idea for them to be able to be paired together so you can talk between bikes over bluetooth distances (not much I admit!!). The bluetooth adaptor for the radio seems like a good idea.

I assume the BT adaptor will allow my scala to pair with my Kenwood 446 radio? How does it work, is it just a vox connection. If so does that mean that the BT is 'live' all the time of does it just connect when it hears audio? If it is a constant connection I would just worry about battery life?

bnt76
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:48 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

BPA100 Bluetooth adaptor for Two Way radio
The BPA-100 Bluetooth adaptor, allows you to pair your two-way radio with the Albrecht and Motorola Bluetooth headsets listed in this catalogue. Thus giving you wire-free, bike-to bike communications! It can also be used with any other manufacturers Bluetooth headsets/helmet combinations.

It can also be used to connect audio devices & GPS systems to Bluetooth headsets allowing you to listen to directions or music (music quality dependant on standard of headset used).

Features:

Bluetooth standard 1.1 class 2 "master Mode"
Supplied with internal 170mA lithium battery & charger
6 hours talk time
Standby battery life of about 100 hours
Compatible with all Alan, Midland and Albrecht PMR446 & CB radio devices with 2 pin (2.5/3.5mm) accessory socket
LED status indicator
Press to talk button for bike-to-bike communications
Max 10m range
2.5mm Audio stereo connector

bnt76
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:06 - 26 Jul 2006    Post subject: RIDER TO PILLION BLUETOOTH Reply with quote

is it stereo audio?
Sound quality of the headsets is largely limited by their size and also on materials available for factory production. These particular speakers are not of stereo quality, but we are certainly looking at introducing higher quality speakers (for music) on later version.

The BT Intercom rider headset will pair with any Bluetooth enabled device including GPS and mobile phones that use the service. The Pillions headset hopwever, only pairs with the riders unit. The pillion IS able to join in conversations/listening to directions if the rider presses the function switch.

So far, this system has only been tested (by us) on mobile phones, and MP3 players ( using BPA dongle)
It's only been here I would be happy to arrange to let you try one out for your forum though.
We have only had it in the UK for 2 days now, and i've just had to sell the company bike test-bed (my motorbike) to pay for a wedding! The product has been tested in Italy (where our HQ is based) and I expect to see reports in the next few days.

We can supply a Bluetooth dongle with PTT that allows the Rider unit to be paired with many of our PMR446 and Portable Multiband CB radios

Both the Scala rider and Albrecht Rider and Midland BT intercom are all developed from the same company (Cardo Systems) The Midland BT Intercom shares many common visual characteristics with the Scala system but has been built to our own specification.
Distinguishing features include:
- UK's first truely wireless bolt on rider-pillion intercom
- ACG noise cancelling on Midland units is of a higher spec than normal cardo/scala products
- Both rider and pillion headsets use 2 earpieces instead of just the one
- The BT intercom mic is longer than the standard Scala/Cardo offering
Our arrangement with Cardo is that when they do produce a similiar rider pillion system, it will not have these features.

how much does it cost?

The suggested MRP for a pack containing Rider and Pillion headsets, wall charger, spare mic covers and fitting accessories is currently £180 inc VAT and warranty

Absoloutley, the phone or device is paired to the riders unit.If at any stage of the phone conversation they want to involve the pillion in the conversation, they just need to press the large function button on the side of the unit.
The rider headset can also be used independantly of the pillion set for use as a "standard " single use headset to be used with a phone or GPS etc

We produce an adaptor called the BPA Navi. It is a simple Bluetooth dongle that connects to headphone sockets of MP3 players or non bluetooth GPS products and mobile phones.
Having tried the BPA with an MP3 player and the headset, I have to admit that the sound quality hasn't exactly been "Bose" quality. To be honest it sounds more like listening to music over an old transistor radio. However, we are looking at alternatives to the current speaker arrangement for future models to allow better quality music to be played

As far as I am aware, we are the first to mass produce a competely cable free, affordable, rider-pillion-phone intercom. I have been involved in motorcycling myself for over 12 years, but have to admit I am new to the Bluetooth side of things! So I am willing to bow to superior knowledge! Smile
Our company has so far concentrated on other niche market communications devices, this Bluetooth intercom is the first in a range of devices and products that are being designed specifically for the bike market over the coming months.
I cant say too much about what we have planned right now, but needless to say that we will be looking for input from end users and companies in the motorcycle trade and would therefor welcome any comments or "wish lists" from you or any of you forums users.

tia

a
Ben Townsend
Sales Executive
Alan UK Limited
Unit 2 Callenders, Paddington Drive
Churchward Park, Swindon, Wilts SN5 7YW
Tel. + 44 (0) 1793 882431 Fax. + 44 (0) 1793 882432
Email: sales@alan-uk.com
Company Registration No. 3977633
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 316 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1