Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


What is low pay?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: What is low pay? Reply with quote

So what do you consider to be low pay?

considering 9.2K is 35 hours a week on min wage,

and ever 1K you earn above about 7.5K (but below 34K) =an extra £12 a week .

The pay review happened in the office (I'm not eligable for it due to the short period I;ve worked for them) and many of the staff are considering leaving after what many described as an insulting pay offer. Which gave me a thought , if I'm one of the few left my bargaining power is immense.

Any suggestions?
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

low pay is norther ireland. we be lucky to get 9.2k a year. i had a full time job a few years ago and got £8k a year.

back up to £12k and thats like a professional persons wage over here.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kaben
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im on £21k pa.
( £17.5K basic, £2K relocation bonus, £500/month for the first 3 months incentive)

I will also get commision ontop of that. (need to get on commision first though!)
My travel costs me £3500 per year. Not wanting to sound snobbish or anything, but anything below £18K i would say is too low for me.

Once on commision i will be on around £28k. (that will be most excellent - if i can last it that long Rolling Eyes )


As for your situation, i doubt you will get much leverage. They will hire on new staff and be able to get away without offering any wage incetives or bonus's as they will be new too.

But then again, if you dont ask you dont get. Go for gold matey.

Kaben
____________________
Its Not a Melon, Its Clearly a Lime!!
Yamaha Fazer 600Now dead, MZ 125 SM
My Deviant Art homepage https://robabloke.deviantart.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

rub it in yeah! your flippin younger than me and you get more! FS i blame Tony Blair! Twisted Evil
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

20k is nice and comfortable for me, but I'm still living at home and paying £100/month rent. Would consider 16k or below to be a crap wage.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey Robby, you have £1500 odd as disposable income per month Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

that begs the question say like by the time you are 25ish what should you be earning?


I know I'm just playing around with it in my head , I'm pulling 14.5Kish with benefits (which I get taxed on) about 800quid. (though I find flexi time quite valuble too)

and thinking of taking on another part time job (myother PT job pays about 2K for a couple hours a week),

I'm just thinking I'm moving backwards sometimes , with bills council tax going up so quickly
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:09 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cillit-BANG wrote:
Blimey Robby, you have £1500 odd as disposable income per month Shocked


About 1100 disposable - a chunk goes into savings, a chunk pays off a loan, the rest goes on fuel, toys, plane tickets, and playing.

Settling the loan off soon. That gives me another 350 odd to spend on crap each month \o/.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cillit-BANG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I lived at home Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper



Joined: 21 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:13 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

tis all relative

my basic is 25K a year, with bonus I expect to earn between 35K and 40K this year

however I paid £1200 in tax alone last month +company car costs me over £300 a month + we are a single income family with a high mortgage.

My disposable income is far less than my 12K a year young service advisor still living at home.
____________________
https://domharnessphotography.webs.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mozzer
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:14 - 27 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on ~£12k p/a at the moment (18)... payrise due early next month and i'm not going to settle for less than £14.5k p/a.

Once I get £250/week in my hand after tax i'll be happy enough (For now... no real outgoings bar mobile phone, rent, bike payment)...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

southlondoner
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:57 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

im 16 and on around 11k a year after tax (14k before).

about a 5% living cost allowance every year.. and a rise of about 20 pounds every year of my apprenticeship i complete. by the time im fully qualified (at 19) i should be on around 26k a year (before tax)..
____________________
-southlondoner-
2002 Honda CG125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Reevo8
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:17 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£17.8k here, before shift enhancements and overtime. Looking at about 20ish with enhancements, and maybe £22k if I get a bit of overtime done! Thumbs Up
____________________
05 ZX10R, (**05 WKR) Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ahmato_
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:25 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£6.8k a year here Sad

But that is working part time, before bonuses for a student at 16 years old so I suppose its ok Karma
____________________
SavageKymco wrote: lol yea yea, im just gettin food here, keep my strength up you know. all this killing takes a lot out of a guy Ha ha
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:20 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my basic is: - £3438.24 a year. Neutral

I do have only a 13 hour week though. On £5.51 an hour.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

numark1
Scared of girls



Joined: 10 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:39 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my gap year job i get £18k per year plus bonus.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tatters
Exxon Valdez



Joined: 05 Jan 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

10k, 40 hour week plus 10 hours worth of coummting per week Sad
____________________
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

akaDAVE
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is relative to where you live, what fixed costs you have such as travel, rent, loan payments.
I get about 31k per year before tax, but my train ticket costs me about 3K. Tax is about £700 a month. Luckily my rent is cheap so I have an advantage there....but only because I have to travel 1.5hrs to work!
I do have disposable income now and can save, but when I was on 21k I had fuck all. My friends who were on about 15k had more money to play with.
You really have to look at your individual situation when considering how 'good' your salary is.
____________________
GSXR600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seemed to have more money when I took a couple of years out (well, I was paid - but about a third of what I currently get) to do a doctorate than I do now. Probably because I was considerably more careful about my money (and my mortgage was almost £1000 a month cheaper back then, the advantage of living up North).
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lawnie
Nearly there...



Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I start my graduate job in September, I'll either be on £28.8k or £30k, depending on the pay route I choose to take. I'm initially on a 12 month contract, with a good chance of extension/permanency thereafter. If, however, I do not stay on, then chances are that my second job will pay £10k-5k less Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd find it hard to survive on anything under £30k now Neutral

was on mid £20ks when I was in Scotland, and that was okay...

now I'm contracting on a day-rate, which is rather nice Smile

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 25 and work in Central London. Currently on £21.5k but looking at a new job/pay rise.

I currently live at home. Have a few out going I need to deal with before considering moving out. But a bit of a pay rise and it should be possible.
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop yapping! Twisted Evil a 16 year old in here gets more than me! and i am qualified Crying or Very sad .

feef is that proposal still opened? Angelic
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
stop yapping! Twisted Evil a 16 year old in here gets more than me! and i am qualified Crying or Very sad .

feef is that proposal still opened? Angelic


hmm... you're attached now tho Razz

might have missed the boat on that one Wink

Laughing

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 28 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww ffs! typical! Brick Wall Rain
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 70 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.95 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 130.52 Kb