Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Cars?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 30 Jul 2006    Post subject: Cars? Reply with quote

Right basically I am considering hanging up my biking gloves for a while, and getting a car.

I am at the moment doing lessons which are going quite well, having had 6 years of riding under my built has kinda put me in good stead.

But my question is what first car would people go for?

I am looking at cars under £1000, only requirements are it must be under 1549cc to qualify for cheap tax cos I resent paying £175 for a round bit of paper! It must be cheap to insure, and run. And be fairly easy to fix as I shall be working on it myself alot.

I have been looking at Ford Escorts and such like and wondered what people suggested really.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 30 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want some thing super cheap you could get the 1.0 12v vauxhall corsa.
It gets about 50mpg on fuel and is only a group 1 insurance, perfect first car, faster than most 1.0 cars too
____________________
Rieju MRX 50 Castrol Edition
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:36 - 30 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I hate them, at that sort of money some of the 1400cc rovers could be an idea. You're a biker, so probably fairly used to doing weekly checks, which they would need.
But, with some of them you get a fair bit of car for the money, and economy is meant to be good.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:39 - 30 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want Uber cheap then go for Ford Escort or Festa, cheap as chips to buy and cheaper then a Kebab to fix if they ever go wrong.

Depends if you want it for posing or just as a mode of transport.https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/finglonga/Finglonga%20Inc/ne_nau.gif
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 30 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby wrote:
As much as I hate them, at that sort of money some of the 1400cc rovers could be an idea. You're a biker, so probably fairly used to doing weekly checks, which they would need.
But, with some of them you get a fair bit of car for the money, and economy is meant to be good.


Seeing as Rover are now defunct wouldn't it get kinda difficult to get parts for say the older mid 90s 200 Series?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:45 - 30 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finglonga wrote:
If you want Uber cheap then go for Ford Escort or Festa, cheap as chips to buy and cheaper then a Kebab to fix if they ever go wrong.

Depends if you want it for posing or just as a mode of transport.https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/finglonga/Finglonga%20Inc/ne_nau.gif


To be honest I want it to be abit of both, would prefer the lowest mileage and newest car my money would stretch to.

It seems £1000 goes along way when it comes to cars, seeing as most late 90's Escorts seem to go for less than £700!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 30 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with the rover parts situation, it was sold off long before rover folded and is still going strong. Think Xpart run it.

Have a look on autotrader, you might find a 45 in your budget.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:47 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rover 1400 engines are awful, ticking time bombs.

My stepmums head gasket went at 45k, and she never takes the car above 3k rpm.
A lad i know with an MG version 1.4, blew the engine up and had to have a replacement.
Out of 2 i know, 2 are shite.

Don't know what else you could get within that budget, but i'd certainly steer clear of rover.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:34 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Renault Megane 1.4 after passing me test, the only things I could find cheaper to insure be a Fiat Cinquecento or a 2CV. No complains about it other than it's French.

Wanna buy one? reliable, paintwork all very tidy, MOT & tax, 4 new tyres (changed a couple of thousand miles ago), one careful lady owner (before me), it'll never let you down, includes hayes manual incase it ever does (which it wont), ~68k miles. £1k delivered
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:48 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiat cinquecento, cheap, newer than similarly priced hatches, and whatever you do to them or drive them into, they somehow keep going Shocked
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:26 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

ram_doom wrote:
Fiat cinquecento, cheap, newer than similarly priced hatches, and whatever you do to them or drive them into, they somehow keep going Shocked


Speaking from experience huh? Wink

My 1.4 Metro seem's solid enough. I assume it;s the same 1.4 engine as the 25 and 45, the K series. I had a 1.4 ZR, never had engone problems with it and I ran up 24,000 miles in 6 months!
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob-B
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a VW Polo Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RickHolt
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test last year but still haven't got a car. There's just no where to park one when I come to Bradford.

My mate wants me to buy a 2CV to go to Sweden next year. They're supposed to be really reliable and cheap. Possibly one of the worst looking cars you could buy though. They do have their own racing league, rallies all over the world and loads of parts on ebay though.

Might be worth you looking at vans or cars that most young people don't drive. You might find some really powerful old mans car with loads of storage space that's cheaper to insure than a punto.

If anyone else on here has a 2CV, or knows anything about endurance style driving events PM me please Thumbs Up It's about the only thing I'd want a car for.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:31 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

2CV's rock, but I'm not sure if in a good way.

They certainly an induvidual car. If I lived by the coast, I'd have one for a summer run around.

I recall one of the Gumball rallies someone had one and it made it back again!

Oh, they're not cheap!!
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

LH-ER5 wrote:
2CV's rock, but I'm not sure if in a good way.

They certainly an induvidual car. If I lived by the coast, I'd have one for a summer run around.

I recall one of the Gumball rallies someone had one and it made it back again!

Oh, they're not cheap!!


You will also need a jacket with leather patches on the elbows if you buy one. Wink
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mock my jacket, it's very fetching I'll have you know! Mr. Green
____________________
Like a Yorkie - I'm not for the girls Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 90.69 Kb