Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Home Thoughts from Abroad

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sadie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 30 Jul 2006    Post subject: Home Thoughts from Abroad Reply with quote

Or … There’s no place like home.



I thought I was going home this weekend. I wanted to see my parents who are getting older, and my grandmother, who was older still.

On Thursday evening I got a phone call to say that my grandmother had died. She was 92, so it was hardly a shock, but sad all the same.

So on Friday, I went to Dublin as planned.

Only it’s not home any more. Except for my parents, I don’t know anyone any more. There has been so much building and road laying that I was five miles from home and I didn’t know where I was.

There are still some of the same places that I loved when I lived there, but now it feels like I’m a tourist. It doesn’t feel like going home.

But coming back here didn’t feel like coming home either.

It left me with a very unsettled and sad feeling.
____________________
With experience comes age.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:55 - 30 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its any consolation I dont really feel like I belong anywhere either, Ive felt like it for a large chunk of my life... I usually up-sticks and move to a new area and start again. I also thought when I went travelling I would find that place I would like to live, but it didnt happen....

I think I'm going to be a nomad for the rest of my days...

I put it down to the immense amounts of times we moved when my parents were together, Dad was in the RAF and we moved more times than I can remember.

But im not too worried about it. Its kind of who I am. I have met a few others who feel exactly the same, so if it helps you are not alone! Very Happy
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:01 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved out of East Grinstead when I was 17, 5 years ago and I get the same feeling Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rK@NE
Nova Slayer



Joined: 09 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:46 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved from Exeter when I was 17 and have lived in Manchester, Stoke on Trent and now i'm living in Barnsley.

I don't know where home is anymore. I've not been to Devon in years, I really miss my family but it doesn't feel like home anymore. Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:51 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really have a problem with it. Home is wherever I have decided to stay.

That said, I went back to my visit my folks a month or so ago having moved out 11 years ago (been back a few times since mind) and nothing much has changed in the village of Ythanwells. The house next door has built an extension, the trees are a bit bigger and my Dad has put new doors on the outhouses.

I wouldn't expect the place to have changed much if I went back in another 20 years time.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:53 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the same feeling. Portsmouth years ago was a nice place. Few torists, odd things being done to improve the city, which didnt bother me.
Now I feel I just live in a 'money making' city which I hate. its not Portsmouth anymore to me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:58 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Load of nomads we are here.

Lived all over the place, and nowhere really feels like home. Given up caring about it to be honest.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.06 Sec - Server Load: 0.62 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 53.15 Kb