|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Jon-W |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jon-W Nova Slayer

Joined: 02 Jul 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 0ddball |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 0ddball World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Flip |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Flip Super Spammer

Joined: 28 Feb 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:33 - 30 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yea - if yo uride it may kill you/ Something all bikers face but don't worry about too much.
I have a friend who has premonitions. She dreamed (dreamt?) I crashed a blue bike, 'cause I was drunk and died yesterday.
I now have a fear of blue bikes.  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Rookie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Rookie World Chat Champion

Joined: 09 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 04:38 - 30 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| SpannerMonkey wrote: | The average rider will not do much more than 100mph on a normal daily ride |
Speak for yourself.
On a larger capacity bike it's much easier to get to 100 and it gets there incredibly quickly, unlike a 125. If it wasn't down to experience and there was a perfect division between riders (IE - 50% of all riders, a mix of all experiences rode 125s and the other 50% rode 600 or litre bikes) I'd put my money on more large capacity bikers being killed.
Jon-W, it's something you'll have to decide for yourself - is it worth the risk? I went out today and clocked 130 on the A38, I got flashed by a police car at 100 and carried on, and I had to brake very heavily for a car turning out of a junction (which I don't blame them for, I was going 3 figure speeds, after all). I take those risks and I stack them up against myself by riding like what many people consider a tosser. However, at this point in my life, I couldn't care less. If I had children and a wife to support, I might act differently.
You need to decide whether it's worth the risk, basically. Even if you ride 100% to the law and take no unneccesary risks, you're odds are higher than if you took a car. It's a choice every bike rider has to make, whether consciously or subconsciously. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| 0ddball |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 0ddball World Chat Champion

Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ram_doom |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ram_doom World Chat Champion

Joined: 25 Mar 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:14 - 30 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've been hurt quite badly several times in my 6 year biking stint Worst two (because their both bad as each other) were once, when following traffic and a car turned directly in front of me and sent me over the bonnet, hitting my neck against a kerb, requiring 16 hours on a spinal board, then 4 months or so of physio. The other was arsing about and flipped a wheelie, resulting in grinding the bone that sticks out of my left wrist down to the white and a splayed knee in which the ligaments wont heal properly, and gives way randomly still.
Its pretty likely you'll get seriously injured whilst biking, all you can do is wear as much protective gear as is practicable, and keep on the alert, though your never going to be 100% aware of all hazards at a time, and its usually someone going into you
Its just part of biking, I wont quit until I'm physically unable to ride ____________________ TL1000s, KDX200 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Fast Jon |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Fast Jon Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 10 Mar 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lawnie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lawnie Nearly there...

Joined: 23 Apr 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:50 - 30 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I knew someone who after riding a moped for however long (a year or so I would guess), passed his driving test, got himself a car, which he later lost control of and died
So, if I were to follow your logic, then bikes are safer than cars. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| SAS |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 SAS Two Stroke Sniffer
Joined: 26 Jul 2006 Karma : 
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Ste |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Ste Not Work Safe

Joined: 01 Sep 2002 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| owdamer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 owdamer World Chat Champion
Joined: 06 Oct 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellkat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellkat Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:31 - 30 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Having lost two very close friends off their bikes in less than a year, I came to the realisation that due to the fact that we all die EVENTUALLY, we have to realise that none of us are immortal.
Its just that there are some of us destined to die earlier than others Its always gut wrenching for those left behind, or those who are at the scene when the person dies.
So the most important things I have gleaned from this painful experience of losing friends on bikes is:
1. Cherish every friend you have who rides bikes, you never know when they're gonna go, no matter HOW experienced they are.
2. Make sure you're not next.
 ____________________ Not nearly as interesting in real life. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:01 - 31 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I agree with Hellkat...
I have lost a few biker friends, I lost my first friend when I was 18 years old, and it was the lorry on the wrong side of the road round a corner that killed him, not his riding on his 125cc bike.
I have also lost friends in some particularly awful car accidents...
I have also lost a friend who took his own life....
People die, we all die, its a fact of life.... its just with the world of biking we kind of accept its likely to happen quicker, it might not.
If you start worrying about dying, you wont end up doing anything, you'll be stuck inside all day getting paranoid, and whats the point of having a life if you're not out living it? ____________________ Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Groove |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Groove World Chat Champion

Joined: 10 Feb 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:34 - 31 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Ive never had a close mate die from anything before and never really thought about dieing on the bike, just know it could happen.
Reading these stories has made me think though, feel pretty sad now  ____________________ || Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Lawnie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Lawnie Nearly there...

Joined: 23 Apr 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 01:00 - 31 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Does this help?
EDIT: But on the other hand, we don't really notice when people don't have accidents. We only hear the bad.
Last edited by Lawnie on 01:12 - 31 Jul 2006; edited 1 time in total |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| veeeffarr |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 veeeffarr Super Spammer
Joined: 22 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| killa |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 killa Won't Shut Up

Joined: 18 Oct 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 09:35 - 31 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
My mate can't walk again because he went off the road and up a tree in a car with no seat belt.
At least on a bike you can get some air time or something.
You can't calculate the odds of a good crash, i've hit a car doing 45mph and broke nothing, a guy i know hit a car on a moped at 20mph and broke his coller bone.  ____________________ Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Visitor Q |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Visitor Q $25 whore

Joined: 30 Apr 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:49 - 31 Jul 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
i knew someone who died at 30, getting his head run over by a car after trying to brake too quickly and flipping the bike.
I've never (touch wood) hit another car, but i know plenty of people who've walked away from highspeed crashes.
Luck of the draw more then anything (ie luck of what you bounce into after you touch down) ____________________ China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| flat spot |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 flat spot World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Aug 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| msgander |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 msgander Brolly Dolly

Joined: 31 Aug 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| flat spot |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 flat spot World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Aug 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| yzf750r |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 yzf750r World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Nov 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:15 - 01 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
We lost a friend in April on his R6, and on Sunday a friend of mine crashed at Cadwell racing in Newera! He was airlifted to Grimsby, and is in Intensive Care. Yesterday I heard he had 24 hours to live!
You cant think that you'll be the next or you'll be come the dangerous rider on the road!
I just block it out, or give it a couple of weeks til its not so raw!
 ____________________ 04 zx10r with mods - 187.4bhp at the wheel! :o |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| queen of string |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 queen of string World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Jul 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|