Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Would you stand someone's bike up?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Would you stand someone's bike up after seeing it on its side?
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 35 ]
No
34%
 34%  [ 21 ]
Would, but don't know how to raise a big bike
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Walk past it laughing
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Whatever, I don't do polls
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 61

Author Message

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:55 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Would you stand someone's bike up? Reply with quote

Well would you?

Prompted by my bike just being on its side.
Got a message saying it was over.
However, in order for the person to have given the message they'd have to walk around it to see the reg plate clearly.
So if they did this why not help further?

Damaged, oh yes. But as far as I can see only the mirror cover.
This was already fibreglass repaired by previous owner and I've a replacement somewhere in the garage Wink

Very Happy
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yambabe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably try to get hold of you to let you know it'd gone down if you weren't there, whilst letting other less weakling people actually pick it up.
____________________
Sod falling in love, I wanna fall in chocolate. Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!



Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd go and let the owner of the bike know first then help them pick the bike up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

iCraig
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pick it up aslong as I didn't get blamed for knocking it over or something!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:03 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to pick it up, but would be mindful of the fact that anyone walking past may see me handling the bike and lumber me with the blame.

If it was possible I would try to find the owner and offer to assist them picking it up. If I saw who knocked it over there would definately be a note with the reg/name etc. (I've done this before when I watched a car reverse straight into another without stopping, I found the owner and handed them a note with the reg of the offending car on and my details as a witness).
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MRX Steve
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i didn’t know whose bike it was i would probably leave it incase they suddenly turned up when i was picking it up and blamed me for knocking it over. If they were already there struggling to pick it up on their own i would probably lend a hand.
____________________
Rieju MRX 50 Castrol Edition
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:07 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Forgot about the 'find you and help' poll option Doh!
babyyam wrote:
...whilst letting other less weakling people actually pick it up.

...but good to learn how to do it.
I'd recommend the back to the bike technique for big machines and customs.

Some info on this is here and here

https://www.ibmwr.org/otech/pickup3.jpg

Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i said no because i am weak and cant even pick my own bike up Embarassed

though some nice person ran over my old bike picked it up and drove on and left me with the damage Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

i would find the owner and get them to help as i would be useless.
____________________
All the breast.
Muzza on Binge:
He's too busy beating the everloving shit out of Lizzie to notice this thread has taken a turn down Drama Avenue and stopped off at the popcorn shop.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

blamchez
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 12 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i once walked past a peugeot scooter on its side in the city centre, my first thought was to pick it up but then i thought if someone saw me messing with a bike on its side im sure they would get suspicious. even more so if the owner catches me touching their bike. so i left it, i dont want to get sued.
____________________
50cc honda ---> CG125 ---> 125cc jap scooter ---> NSR125 ---> NC30 ---> CB500 ---> ZX7R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Yoshi
Traffic Copper



Joined: 05 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not going to get more damaged sitting on its side so leave it, no chance of being blamed or accused of theiving then.
____________________
Present: GS650 Katana - Getting ready for summer touring!
Past: TS50, RS50, ZXR400, LT80, TS250
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:18 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO. Years ago the Police treid to arrest me for criminal damage while picking up a mates bike.

Got to work at 7.30am to find 3 of the riders bikes on their sides as I was picking them up a Police car screamed up 2 officers jumped out and started screaming at me about criminal damage until one of the riders poked his head out the window and told them who I was.


Last edited by sickpup on 15:47 - 31 Jul 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dometeor
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 17 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma

Last edited by Dometeor on 10:54 - 09 Oct 2010; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if the owner asks for help or if needed (young fit looking lady biker Laughing )
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoshi wrote:
It's not going to get more damaged sitting on its side so leave it, no chance of being blamed or accused of theiving then.


Yup. No way I'm going to risk getting a kicking off some screaming pyscho for doing someone a favour.

If you came out of where ever you were and saw someone lifting your bike, you first thought isn't going to be "oh look, my bikes fallen over and that kind soul is picking it up for me"

I would go and try and find who's bike it was, and help them pick it up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with find the owner first and help them if they wanted helping. Same reasons as have already been mentioned.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jonboy22
Crazy Courier



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah no probs, I'll just hoik that Triumph Rocket up Lickity Split..... Laughing

Seriously though I wouldn't pick a bike up myself but I would deffo stop and help anyone that was struggling, even if it was a Rocket...

The reason I wouldn't is cuz the owner could get back to his bike, get on it and not even notice the damage done to it. Then pull off, come to a round about and "holy w*nk spanners Batman!! I have no break lever...... Surprised ". You get the picture.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Crash125
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 29 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pick it up(as long as it aint anything bigger than a 125!!)
or at least wait and see if who ever bike it was needed help, or even grab another passer by for help.

I dropped mine at a petrol station once and a man in a mercedes with what looked like a very expensive suit on helped me pick her back up.
____________________
*SV650s* 7th time lucky, finaly passed me DAS Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonboy22 wrote:
The reason I wouldn't is cuz the owner could get back to his bike, get on it and not even notice the damage done to it. Then pull off, come to a round about and "holy w*nk spanners Batman!! I have no break lever...... Surprised ". You get the picture.


bwahahahaha. Laughing I have tears of laughter rolling down my face. I'm not sure why, but that's the funniest thing I've read in ages. Mr. Green

Obviously in a daft mood
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dark
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:51 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
I would try to pick it up, but would be mindful of the fact that anyone walking past may see me handling the bike and lumber me with the blame.

If it was possible I would try to find the owner and offer to assist them picking it up. If I saw who knocked it over there would definately be a note with the reg/name etc. (I've done this before when I watched a car reverse straight into another without stopping, I found the owner and handed them a note with the reg of the offending car on and my details as a witness).


I agree with you on this one Annabella Thumbs Up
____________________
My Bikes in order:- Yamaha RXS100 / Suzuki X7 250 / Yamaha RD350LC / Kawasaki
KR1S 250 / Kawasaki ZXR750 H2 / Honda C50 / Kawasaki ZX7R P5 / Kawasaki ZX10R / Suzuki GSXR 400 / Honda CBR1100 Blackbird & Yamaha FZR 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonboy22
Crazy Courier



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annabella wrote:
If I saw who knocked it over there would definately be a note with the reg/name etc. (I've done this before when I watched a car reverse straight into another without stopping, I found the owner and handed them a note with the reg of the offending car on and my details as a witness).


Jeez if I saw who knocked it over then I'd be seriously pissed, and yeah too right I would get the plate, in fact I would probably stand infront of the offending car till the owner came back.

If it was my bike, Evil or Very Mad , there would be much carnage, and if they drove off Exclamation Exclamation you would have a Sylvester Stallone esq man on roof of car sequence.......

Seriously though, is it your duty as a witness to report the incident to the police if the owner doesn't come back any time soon??


Last edited by jonboy22 on 17:08 - 31 Jul 2006; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My derbi fell over in the wind. Kids at school picked it back up and put it on it's stand. Unfortunately the stand was down while they picked it up. Hence, 89kgs of weight bent the stand under the bike which made it even more unstable.

Bike fell over again as the stand was useless.

The kids thought they were helping, but i'd rather just have it sat on its side for a while.

On the subject - Was just off Oxford street last month and some car tried to squeeze past a bike bay. Clipped the front of some big fat cruiser and took it down. I wouldn't try and pick the bike up, but had the car not stopped i would of jumped out with a camera and got as many details as possible to pass onto the bike owner. - Bike owner turned up and did not look happy.....
____________________
"because one stroke isnt enough and four strokes waste two"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:13 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once it's gone over not much else is likely to happen.
I'd be too worried someone would see me messing with it and then assume I'd dropped it while trying to nick it.
Wouldn't be surprised if trying to lift it would set the alarm off or something.
So No - it can stay put!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

OF course.
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnny GSX-R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:35 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way, if you touch it then your leaving yourself wide open to accusation.
Also, what if you attempt to stand it up and drop it causing yet more damage....
I'd help the owner pick it up but i'd not touch it without his consent.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jonboy22
Crazy Courier



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny GSX-R wrote:
No way, if you touch it then your leaving yourself wide open to accusation.
Also, what if you attempt to stand it up and drop it causing yet more damage....
I'd help the owner pick it up but i'd not touch it without his consent.


I agree Thumbs Up

What if the owner is a git, and has laid his broken bike down on the road and is waiting for someone to pick it up to blame. Bit like that time when I was a kid and broke a flower pot, balanced it back together, and then screamed at my Mum when my Dad brushed passed it and it fell to pieces..... Twisted Evil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 1.45 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 137.89 Kb