Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


De-restricting an NC30

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kingnathski88
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: De-restricting an NC30 Reply with quote

My NC30 is currently restricted to 33bhp, of which I have no intention of removing untill I am 19. I know that you can do something with the clocks to make it go faster, I have had 110 out of the bike already, but if possible I would like a little more.

If anyone could offer me a little insight I would be very grateful Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:48 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanese import NC30s have a restrictor to 180kph (118mph) in the actual speedo unit itself. There is a small opto-electronic sensor, the beam of which gets broken by the metal plate attached to the speedo dial weight.

To remove this, you need to remove the clocks, take off the back of the speedo and drop the unit right out. The plate is obvious, it is attached to the silver round bit on the back of the speedo needle. Remove the plate carefully (!) and reassemble, job done.

Now go and find a (private) big hill cos you'll need it to get a 33bhp NC30 over 118mph

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely that can't actually restrict how fast the bike can go, just restrict how high the clocks can read?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr, TZR, read my post, there is a SPEED limiter built into the CLOCKS on Japanese import NC30s. I know, I had one, I removed said limiter and it then made it to about 135mph (on a private road, obviously).

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:53 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast_tzr wrote:
Doing something to the clocks will not do anything to make it go faster whatsoever, unless you want to somehow bodge the clocks so they overread..?(which by the way will not actually make you go any faster, just make the clock go higher)


Actually thats where you are wrong.

NC30 grey imports are definitely speed restricted to about 110mph or something. And they are definitely restricted using a little metal tab on the back of the speedo.

When the bike reaches the "critical speed" the tab makes an electrical connection, or breaks a beam of light or something, which cuts the ignition to two of the cylinders.

Hence doing something to the clocks will make it faster. But only if the bike is full power.

I used to have an NC21 restricted to 33bhp, and it didn't do over 100. No matter how hard I tried. Karma
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

killa
Won't Shut Up



Joined: 18 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got one on the one im selling....

Much faster! Cool Thumbs Up Mmmm
____________________
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
Bike:- Yamaha TRX850 | Killas Biking History | Killas Gaming History | Killas autmotive history
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fast_tzr
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah bollocks, I didn't see grim's post before I submitted mine, once I'd read grim's I attempted to swiftly edit it into some kind of question, but was quoted beofre I could manage it Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DynaMight
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 31 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point yet if it's going to stay restricted, I never got mine after 110MPH restricted. Funnily enough my jap restriction used to kick in at 125MPH, I assume someone tried to remove it but didnt do it properly, the M-Max box sorted that out though.
____________________
My bikes are at https://www.bikepics.com/members/dynamight/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kingnathski88
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:37 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do you mean it wont make any difference to my speed?

Sorry if I sound dumb.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

edd
Nearly there...



Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:52 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they mean is you are restricted to 33bhp, 33bhp bikes cannot reach 118 mph, thus having a restriction at 118mph is irrelevant to you. Since you cannot travel over 118 mph you wont be able to tell whether has been de-restricted or not, this is irrelevant because your 33bhp restricts you below this speed anyway, I hope this clears the situation up a little.

Also, due to the fact you are already looking for more performance I dont think you will serve your full restriction period, not many people do.
____________________
Bluespark Automotive - Diesel Tuning for Performance and Economy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would go faster if you weren't restricted. As stated above.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:06 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although if you do want to remove the japanese speed restriction all you need is a motrax converter as then the speed restriction will kick in at 180mph not 180kmh and your NC30 is never going to do that. Thumbs Up
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, don't bother, removing the plate that cuts the optoelectronic beam is free and takes all of an hour or two to do. There's a method on the net somewhere, I printed it out to do mine bu that was about 7 years ago Mr. Green

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Marci
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 01 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
33bhp bikes cannot reach 118 mph


A 2stroke Mito125 can... Very Happy
____________________
FAB-Racing MiniMotoSidecars - Back with a vengeance - F1 Class 2011...
CBR170 engine, custom chassis - www.minimotoscene.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

edd
Nearly there...



Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:47 - 02 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 2 stroke mito 125:

A). Has less than 33bhp
B). cannot do 118mph

the clocks might indicate that fast, but they are wrong. The manual might claim 33bhp but they really produce around 27-28 ish
____________________
Bluespark Automotive - Diesel Tuning for Performance and Economy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kingnathski88
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:49 - 02 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all your help and advice, yeah, you may call and think all sorts of me, but I was considering taking the restrictor kit out.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marci
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 02 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

A STOCK 2t Mito125 can't... a tuned-to-33bhp Mito can...
____________________
FAB-Racing MiniMotoSidecars - Back with a vengeance - F1 Class 2011...
CBR170 engine, custom chassis - www.minimotoscene.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 02 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastest I've ever seen a *full power* Laughing Mito do was a teeny bit more than 110 mph (indicated) which dropped to 90 when it hit a gentle incline, and it never reached the ton again on that test run Rolling Eyes The guy swore blind he was doing 120
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marci
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 01 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:52 - 02 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt it and I'm not disputing it... just my particular mito has had rather more work than others... being an ex-raced trackbike prior to conversion to roadbike. Mine won't hold it's speed on an incline either sadly, but it can get there quite happily, repeatedly when not on an incline...
____________________
FAB-Racing MiniMotoSidecars - Back with a vengeance - F1 Class 2011...
CBR170 engine, custom chassis - www.minimotoscene.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 02 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marci wrote:
Quote:
33bhp bikes cannot reach 118 mph


A 2stroke Mito125 can... Very Happy


hahahahaha!!!!

Back on subject........ the restriction is 112mph, not 118

To remove restriction:

A) Bend Metal out of way
B)Remove Metal
C)Fit Motrax converter
D)Fit de-limiter box

I would personally suggest option C.(I have a 33bhp GSXR400 that has it)
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kingnathski88
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:39 - 04 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, any chance you guys know how much they cost and where to purchase them from?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 06 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 quid from
https://www.motrax.co.uk/Index_pages/accessories/kilo_mech.htm

shop around on look on Fleabay. Note this will also change your odo to miles as well, so best get it converted to Miles with a mileage correction company, or look on the internet for ways to wind it back. Unless you don't care. (I don't know if my odo was converted when the mph converter was fitted)
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

edd
Nearly there...



Joined: 06 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:31 - 06 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still wont be able to go any faster for the reasons we all explained earlier. Rolling Eyes
____________________
Bluespark Automotive - Diesel Tuning for Performance and Economy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:30 - 07 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting a converter is useful anyway IMO.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sunbear
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 07 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take the restrictors out Very Happy Might not be legal (and may invalidate your insurance), but as long as you are a good boy and dont go speeding everywhere noone will know Very Happy
____________________
Bikes had : BMW F650, suzuki tr50, gt125, SV400, GSXR600 SRAD. Honda CBR900RRP, CBR600FX, CBR1000F, VT600, Transalp 600, mtx125, nsr125r, CB500T, Yamaha fy50, tzr125, tdr125, XV535, Diversion 600, Fazer 600, TDM850 MK1 & MK2, Majesty 400, XV 1100. Cagiva mito evolution, Aprilia rs125, Piaggio x9 125. DNA 125 . Suzuki Bandit 600, GZ125 Marauder, RF600 , RF900RS2, Kawasaki ZZR400, ZX6R Ninja, ZZR600 . Ducati 750 Sport . Triumph Tiger 955i. CURRENT : 2004 Kawasaki Z750 and LOVIN IT !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.41 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 128.14 Kb