Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Feckin luggage....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 13 Jul 2006    Post subject: Feckin luggage.... Reply with quote

I've never been away on my bike for longer than a week, consequently i can normally squeeze all my kit into a tankbag and rucksack.
As i'm going away for a bit longer i thought i would invest in some panniers and swap the tankbag for a tailpack (i don't like tankpacks, they get in the way when you need to tuck in).
Anyway, i'm buggered if i can get the stuff to fit well - it's oxford humpback luggage on a K5gsxr750 in case you were wondering. I've not even taken the bike out with it on yet coz it wobbles around so much. It has these stupid adjustable buckle straps that seem fecking useless - i'm tempted just to use loads of bungees instead.
I leave on Wednesday morning - any ideas??

Embarassed
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

SimonB
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:07 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I just got myself a tailpack yesterday and I spent about an hour trying to fit it and coming close to giving up.

Once I had the tailpack on that was pretty secure although the panniers (oxford like yours) were still a little wobbly.

Quote:
It has these stupid adjustable buckle straps that seem fecking useless

Do you mean the ones at the back and front of the panniers if so I found the best way to do it was attach the front one to the pillion peg and the two back ones I joined together. So it the end it was very secure.

Oh and a couple of bungees helped as well.

v4forlife
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:39 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean getting the tail pack to fit, or the panniers??

i have the humback tail thing, and its soooo easy to fit. velco strap it to your pillion seat, lock the pillion seat down, attach bungies to secure places on the bike ie pillion footrests and plate holder.

dont have a set of pannier, so cant help. but i heard the oxford hum ones are difficult to fit anyway.

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img61.imageshack.us/img61/271/cnv00022sm6ut.jpg

^ Best bit of luggage i've ever brought was an army kit bag, cost me £8 (anchor army supplys in ripley+nottingham) used with an adjustable net (bungees would work too but adjustable is far better)

It has in the past fit..

2man tent
Fold out chair
Cooking gear
Roll mat
Sleeping bag

There so cheap you can buy two and stack them on eachother on the back seat..

Allthough i'd not reccomend it as a tank bag Laughing makes steering a bit tricky

I can't comment on the aerodynamic effects, never bothered me on my nekid bike though..

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a word with a mate of mine who has the same panniers - he too commented on the crapness of the extra straps.
He said he used the adjustable straps to make a small loop and threaded bungees through them.
I'm gonna give that a try then head for a bit of speed testing, hopefully it should cure the wobbles.
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser

PostPosted: 20:03 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been wondering how you're supposed to get panniers to fit properly on the miniscule seat units on newer sportsbikes. Show us how you get on Wink

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 14 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr.z wrote:
https://img61.imageshack.us/img61/271/cnv00022sm6ut.jpg

how many lights do you need on the front of yer bike there must be 7 at least on the front of your CX
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Black Knight
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 15 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is the reason Sports tourers are far superior! Laughing

Best thing to do mate is get what you can in, make sure the weight is fairly even on both sides and then get at least 4 real tight bungees around it to stop it moving in the slightest.
Where does a turn end? 'Where you can do anything with the gas you want to, where you are brave again, where your attention is free from the turn, where you are sure you can do it better next time; that's the end' - Keith Code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 15 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't even need to be a sports tourer.
Stop namby pambying around with the soft luggage!

You want this type of thing... Laughing Wink

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 15 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks, errrr, nice, but i'm not sure i'm ready for middle age yet.
Wink
Space Monkey #7

natv4
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:59 - 18 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful of tail packs. You wouldn't be the first person to have an ill fitting tail pack end up in the back wheel.

If you are not ready for a 3 box luggage set, then try a sports rack on the back. This would stop your rear seat luggage being able to jam in your wheel, and does not look too bad (look around, the racks in the link are not the best I have seen, for looks)

https://www.bikebitzuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59

This should stop your bike looking rubbish, it also means that your panniers will fit more easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 18 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you going? and how trendy do you want to look?

You could always take some cheap clothes from asda, tesco etc and throw them when your done and go and buy some more.

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i'm going bright and early 2morrow morning - managed to find a half decent way of lashing it all together and it seems relatively secure - just hope it all stays on.
Got a good hour and a bit of motorways down to Dover, so if it hasn't fallen off by then, i reckon it should be ok.
Space Monkey #7

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller

PostPosted: 16:10 - 19 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late.. but cable ties! Thumbs Up

I've never had a problem with my panniers being wobbly.

When I use my tail pack I normally stick a cargo net over the top of it, that way I can always stick extras under the net at the last minute Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 21 Jul 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike is a kawasaki Z1000, one of those bikes that is supposed to be unsuitable for touring Rolling Eyes

Soft luggage just takes a bit of practice to get the knack. Ive got the oxford sports luggage (last seasons) and they fit great and i only need to use two of the adjustable straps to fit the front part of the panniers to the hook behind the pillion foot rest, then use a bungee each side for securing the rear of the panniers to the fixings under the tail section.

I try only to use either the panniers OR the tailpack though as they are very difficult to fit together especially if your on your own...with all the threading through of straps etc.

Its all just trial and error, and practice until you get the knack.

I'd certainly agree with the army kit bags idea though, i'm going to try and get some for myself.

With enough bungees and patience you can fit just about anything

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 07 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but i thought i'd post a pic of how it eventually went together.
I managed 2000 miles without anything falling off or catching fire, so i reckon i did alright!
Smile
Space Monkey #7

Dave_ZedDragen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 07 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is that mistergixer?

https://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt306/zeddragen/zeddragensig-1.jpg

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:29 - 08 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

France, Tarn gorge and Lot valley area.
Best roads i've ever had the pleasure of riding.
Thumbs Up
Space Monkey #7
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1