|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Duckyboos |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Duckyboos Traffic Copper

Joined: 06 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 20:35 - 10 Aug 2006 Post subject: Tyre-kickers buyin' bikes on Ebay |
 |
|
I've been skirtin' round a few CBR125s on Ebay this last week, but I've never spent more than about 30 quid on any single Ebay trip and I'm wondering what kinda risks I'll be taking if I decide to bid meself a bike.
I've never had a bad Ebay experience, maybe mediocre quality goods once or twice, but I've never been ripped off or left with a white elephant. I know buggerall about bikes, inside or out, and nor does anybody that I know up here. If I went to view one I wouldn't know what to look out for, other than crash damage, scratches etc. I remember the essential checks from my (failed) C2A test, steering, brakes, lights, tyres etc. but that's where my know-how ends.
Obviuosly bikes sell on Ebay; I've missed out on a couple of corkers already this week, because I wibbled too much about buyin 'em and then run out of bidding time. I don't really want to go to a dealer just for the comfort of a warranty (that's if I'd get one on a second-hand motor) because the private/trade price difference can be pretty substantial.
I'm yet to park my bottom on a CBR125 and check it for size but I've been looking around for ideas for some time now, and I deplore the CG125, and I've still got the dent in my leg from my little 'altercation' with an SR125, and seein' as I hate dirt-bikes and low-riders, that doesn't leave me with a massive choice. The CBR looks like something I wouldn't mind keeping for the time that it takes me to pass my C2A test, and beyond. I like the look of em and at barely 100kilos, I'll at least be able to pick it up when it falls over.
Your guidance please, fellow Ebayers. I don't want to be a winner and a loser at the same time  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 20:43 - 10 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I bought the FZR off ebay.
Contacted the seller, tarvelled the 40 odd miles for a look, liked it, test rode it, still liked it, then on the way home it nearly killed me
Its hard to be judgemental when you have a couple of hundred quid in the back burner and looking at something that you already know you want.
Take your mum or someone that knows naff all about bikes and they could give you an inpartial opinion and may spot something quite obvious that you missed. ____________________ Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ZZR Girl |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ZZR Girl Trackday Trickster

Joined: 31 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 20:53 - 10 Aug 2006 Post subject: Re: Tyre-kickers buyin' bikes on Ebay |
 |
|
| Duckyboos wrote: | .
I've never had a bad Ebay experience, maybe mediocre quality goods once or twice, but I've never been ripped off or left with a white elephant. I know buggerall about bikes, inside or out, and nor does anybody that I know up here. If I went to view one I wouldn't know what to look out for, other than crash damage, scratches etc. I remember the essential checks from my (failed) C2A test, steering, brakes, lights, tyres etc. but that's where my know-how ends.
|
Going on what you've just said, in my opinion I think it'd be too much of a risk to buy a bike on eBay. You've said you've never had a bad experience with buying on eBay but I'm guessing the things you've bought have cost a lot less than a bike would. I reckon we're talking hundreds here rather than tenners. Sure, there are some good, genuine buys out there but there are also an awful lot of rip-off merchants trying to sell a heap of trouble.
If you've got no experience of what to look for or have no-one to go with you, personally I wouldn't take the risk. ____________________ Keep it shiny! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Teamcalibra |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Teamcalibra Nitrous Nuisance

Joined: 07 May 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Duckyboos |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Duckyboos Traffic Copper

Joined: 06 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:21 - 10 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Whosthedaddy wrote: | Take your mum or someone... |
Hehe! My mum?? She doesn't have a clue about any of this!
Yep, I hear all that you're saying. I think this was all in the back of my mind as I let the last few minutes tick away. Some of 'em look sooo nice, and they seem to have pretty legitimate reasons for selling, but I guess everyone's capable of makin up a story. I feel for the genuine sellers tho, it's a fabulous invention, but so open to abuse. But then, I see quite a few peeps on here advertising bikes on Ebay, and I'm sure they're not all up to no good...
Other than having more time to view it, what's better (if anything) about buying from a private seller, say, through a newspaper ad, than going to Fleabay? (that's great, that - haven't heard that one before!)
The other thing I've thought about, is going to a garage and asking someone to come along and check it out for me, for a price of course. Is this the sorta thing that they do? Like I can get Mr AA Man out to check a car over, is there an equivalent for bikes? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:58 - 10 Aug 2006 Post subject: Re: Tyre-kickers buyin' bikes on Ebay |
 |
|
You really need to find someone that knows about the dirty stuff about bikes.
Could always see if someone on here would be willing to help out for a few beers.
I would ask a load of questions first, then check those points over when you go to pick up - if it's not have they have told you it is, you can walk away.
Alternatively, agree on a 'buy it now' price first, then go to look yourself and see if it's worth it.
www.adtrader.co.uk is usually worth a look. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Duckyboos |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Duckyboos Traffic Copper

Joined: 06 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:42 - 10 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Nope - I can't really go about this on my own. If anybody in Leeds or the surrounds fancies making a few easy bucks this Summer, in exchange for kickin a few tyres then please PM me. I won't hold anybody personally liable, but it'd be a good idea to have someone who can point out bald tyres, knack'd suspension, split brake pipes, etc etc
I'd ask me Dad, he knows a wee bit about mechanics and stuff, but he'd go into orbit if he knew what I was up to. And besides, technology has come a long was since he was tinkerin' about with a BSA 600 Special  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| THCi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 THCi Nearly there...

Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| THCi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 THCi Nearly there...

Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 01:13 - 11 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Second Hand bike checklist (NSR125-KID-UK/THCi) Be objective filling it in though! ____________________ Past: GZ 125 K4 Marauder, VL 125 LC Intruder, FZS 600 Fazer. Present: GSF 600 N K3 Bandit, GSX-R 600 X(soon)
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| colin1 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 colin1 Captain Safety
Joined: 17 Feb 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| THCi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 THCi Nearly there...

Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:39 - 11 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Does seem that way, doesnt it. (or GZ125 Marauders.... I knew nothing then ) ____________________ Past: GZ 125 K4 Marauder, VL 125 LC Intruder, FZS 600 Fazer. Present: GSF 600 N K3 Bandit, GSX-R 600 X(soon)
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die." |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| mattish |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 mattish Spanner Monkey
Joined: 09 Aug 2005 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:05 - 11 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
As allready mentioned, find a bike you like the look of and see if they would be happy to do a deal outside of ebay should the bike be in a suitable condition when viewed. If the seller doesnt want to do this dont even bother
I got my bike using that method and so far its not been too bad It needs a few things doing but nothing that wasnt known about when I went to see it and the price reflected the issues. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Jon-W |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Jon-W Nova Slayer

Joined: 02 Jul 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| feef |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 feef Energiser Bunny

Joined: 11 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:38 - 11 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've bought 3 bikes on Ebay, the FZR400, Firestorm and the Monster..
as long as you are prepared to have problems, and are able to check them over, and make sure they are "as desribed" and also have the balls to walk away if they aren't then you should be okay.
All 3 bikes I bought had little niggles that I spotted when I bought them, but weren't serious enough for me to complain reasonably. I also knew I am more than capable of fixing anything that might go wrong shuold the worst happen.
At the prices I paid, tho, it'd be hard to go wrong.
a ____________________ Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| grandmaster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 grandmaster Nova Slayer

Joined: 01 Aug 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| zenith10 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 zenith10 Nova Slayer
Joined: 25 Jun 2006 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| grandmaster |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 grandmaster Nova Slayer

Joined: 01 Aug 2006 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 17:41 - 11 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
It does give you an insight into the variery of bikes available for the money and some basic points to look out for in the commonality of complaints (bad points listed). ____________________ Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Duckyboos |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Duckyboos Traffic Copper

Joined: 06 Jul 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:57 - 11 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I think I expected this mixed bag of feelings.
colin1: Why do you think that is though? Are they really a bad choice? I certainly don't know my stuff, but I have spent quite some time reading round on this site and on others, to get a general gist of things. The biggest complaint about ‘em so far seems to be the size of 'em, with reliability being the biggest plus, and "don't drop it!" being the best advice!
I’m probably going to be paying up to £1.5k at the most. I've seen a few nice ones going for little over £1k, and these have all been less than two years old. I figure (perhaps a little naively) that they’re not going to be mechanically scuppered after just two years, unless they’ve been ragged senseless. They’re about £2,500 or so new, I lose a fifth as soon as I drive it away, but otherwise (apparently) they depreciate fairly slowly. I like ‘em, and as long as I don’t trash it, I’m likely to stick with it for a good while.
THCi: That’s really fab, thanks. Some work has gone into this checklist! I’m gonna feel like a right spod standing next a bike, glasses on the end of me nose, clipboard-in-hand, tickin away! “Eh… what’s the top speed?” … “40. Downhill, with arse wind”. But obviously not half as silly as I’d feel ridin off on some jalopy deathmobile.
Incidentally, I called the boss of the riding school today, to tell him I hadn't forgotten or quit in a huff, and to tell him that I'd decided to get meself on two wheels before I came back for my freebie lessons (as part of the guarantee thingy, they'll keep training me for free until I pass; I pay bike hire, and I've got to do it in 6 months or I get tarred and feathered in the car park). He said the CBR would be fine as long as I didn't have to replace any farings/plastic bits; he also said he'd probably be able to check out any bikes I find for the price of a pint. I just want someone to say 'walk away' if it's something I shouldn't be buying. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| THCi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 THCi Nearly there...

Joined: 28 Sep 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|