Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Training Centre info

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 10 Aug 2006    Post subject: Training Centre info Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to biking, currently pottering about on an aging C90 - and loving it Wink - having driven a car for 10 years.

Rather than waste money on the 125 route, am thinking of doing the DAS before I pick up too many bad habits.

Has anyone used Riverview Rider Training near Southport? I gave them a ring and they sound pretty professional, wondered if anyone had an opinion on them?

cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:13 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not used them but there's plently about around Liverpool.

I used AltMoto in Formby for my CBT, but I'm not too sure on whether there's still going on not.

I have my DAS booked with Graingers School of Motorcycle, WA2, Warrington (www.grainger-som.piczo.com)

I've been quoted £480 for a five day intensive course, including test, guaranteed, seems like a good deal, and also seem to be quite highly regarded.

Might interest you also, there's a regular run to the Scotch Piper every Wednesday, we meet in Waterloo (weather permitting).

If you come on a C90, I ride a CG125, and there's another lad on an SR125, could be a laugh.

Where you from? West Derby?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:59 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

£480 sounds good for five days training. The place near Southport has offered me a free assessment, I might take them up on it. My big worry with the DAS is getting used to the clutch (had to get used to slipping it after years of driving), had a lot of trouble with this on my CBT and my bike is a semi-auto so not getting any practise there!

Yep I'm up for a ride out one wednesday, sounds fun! I live pretty close to the Scotch, could ride up to Waterloo or meet up closer.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:30 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was doing my DAS, they would let me turn up early for lessons and practise in the car park until it was time for the lesson

ask if they will let you do this

its worth it
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gazza695
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
Not used them but there's plently about around Liverpool.

I used AltMoto in Formby for my CBT, but I'm not too sure on whether there's still going on not.

I have my DAS booked with Graingers School of Motorcycle, WA2, Warrington (www.grainger-som.piczo.com)

I've been quoted £480 for a five day intensive course, including test, guaranteed, seems like a good deal, and also seem to be quite highly regarded.

Might interest you also, there's a regular run to the Scotch Piper every Wednesday, we meet in Waterloo (weather permitting).

If you come on a C90, I ride a CG125, and there's another lad on an SR125, could be a laugh.

Where you from? West Derby?


Are they in Preston? If so this is who i done my DAS with last month, they have two places the main HQ is in Preston but thet also have a place in Bolton, if it is the same one i found them fantastic, i went on recommendation from a friend and now there is 4 of us who have trained there and all 4 of us passed first time.

I had a guy called Eric who was great at training, he actually over trained me so found the test quite easy and the pass rate they have got is unbelieveable.

Hers a pic of me after passing (im the first guy) Very Happy

https://www.riverviewrtbolton.com/Pass%20Pix%20July.htm
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gazza695
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:43 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops, sorry i quoted the wrong message then, it was meant to be the first one Embarassed

I will get used to this forum milarky
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's one, it's Preston/Tarleton way. Was recommended to me by the guy who did my MOT. They do seem to be a good outfit, like I said I think I will go for the assessment, see what they recommend I do. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gazza695
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 27 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:33 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats what i did, it only takes 10mins, they just stuck me on an ER500 and had me going round cones etc and then they will tell you how many days they think you need. Like i say i would recomend Eric but he might only be based at the Bolton centre but i did ride down to the Preston centre when training and all the guys there seemed great guys, id definately recommend it.

Good luck anyway
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 11 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. Should be ready to book in a month or two, once I've knocked off the theory. Congrats on passing your test Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:45 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had my assessment with Graingers in Warrington and they were fucking ace, if that helps Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Swim41
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your write up on the assessment, sounds cool - good luck with it. Probably be a month or two till I have the time/cash to book a course (got my theory on the 30th). In the meanwhile I'll keep practising. Went out last night in the wet for the first time since my CBT - scary stuff!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:52 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I was chatting to a copper running the bikesafe course this weekend.
He also runs his own rider training school, (Safe Rider) in Northallerton.

His opinion is that DAS is the wrong way to do things for young riders.
Rather build up experience and road sense on a 125 then take their test after instruction.

The guy rides a number of bikes including his own CBR600 and his 'works' R1 and SP2. I'd say he knows what he's talking about.

HTH Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

map wrote:
His opinion is that DAS is the wrong way to do things for young riders.
Rather build up experience and road sense on a 125 then take their test after instruction.


Young riders can't do DAS. By the time people have reached 21 (DAS lower age limit), most have some road sense because they already have a car licence and have been driving for several years.

The DAS age is likely to go up to 24 in 2012.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmahon wrote:
Young riders can't do DAS...

When there was a guy doing the bikesafe course that was in his late 60s then 21 is young Very Happy Wink Mr. Green

I think the point was that from CBT to the likes of an R1 or GSXR (finances allowing) in 4 or 5 days with no (or very little) previous road riding experience is not a good idea.
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

syl
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:00 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean new riders then, rather than young riders. I though he was specifically targetting young riders because of their lack of road experience. I agree young riders (and anyone with limited road experience) would be best kept to smaller bikes for a short while - and that young drivers should also be kept to smaller cars for the same reason (fortunately despite the abscence of legislation to that effect, insurance prices usually sort it out). I certainly took more risks and found myself in less than ideal situations in the first year or two after passing my first test.
____________________
Current bike: Kawasaki Z750S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.21 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 85.27 Kb