Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Which open source OS?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:20 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Which open source OS? Reply with quote

Right, I've run FreeBSD for a few years now. I'm now switching to *nix as my desktop and it seems that if I'm going to change, now is the time.

I need something that'll do the ndiswrapper without trouble. I don't want debian, or freebsd, I'm tempted with something like red hat.

All I need it to do is fullfill every day stuff, run gnome or similar and maybe have the odd small scale server running on it too.

Start throwing suggestions!

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:14 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora. Thumbs Up
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:43 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedora is bleeding edge, beta-ish Redhat releases..

if you want production level 'nix without worrying about potential bugs, look a Ubuntu or Gentoo

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:02 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the opinions like for solaris? It's what they use at my uni so would semi-make sense to use it at home.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:07 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

solaris isn't open source tho.

They did do a free version a while ago, but I don't think its still current, and was never easy to get your hands on in the first place.

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:19 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found Suse to be more than adequate as a stable and well supported *nix distro.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu Thumbs Up

Great community, well supported distro.

I'm fairly sure Soliaris is free now, but h/w support is not as good as Linux.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Ubuntu. I use it as my desktop OS at home. Thumbs Up
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:32 - 14 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to have a look at this Ubuntu, keep hearing good things about it. Only time I've used it was as a live CD when I was playing with OSX on the PC.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 15 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu it is, thank you.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:44 - 17 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ubuntu's all installed, seamlessly I might add. Got ndiswrapper going with my wireless NIC, perfectly.

Got gnome2 installed, no problem.

Couple of questions now, how can I partition off a chunk of the HDD for mp3s. And what's gonna happen if I just plug in my USB printer? Will it all be sunshine and light and everything will work?

Because this will be my desktop PC, and I have a very important piece of coursework due next monday, I can't risk not being able to print. So I can't swap over just yet.

I have nothing but good things to say about Ubuntu thus far. Other than it doesn't come with the kernel source on the CD, and it leaves large repositories unused in the apt-get thing. So huge amounts of software seems unavailable.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.98 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 70.06 Kb