Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


The Proms

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:27 - 19 Aug 2006    Post subject: The Proms Reply with quote

Is anyone following the BBC Proms this year?
Which have been your favourites so far?

Tonight's has been absolutely fantastic, I was stunned by the Sibelius and am now thoroughly enjoying Shostakovich's 13th Symphony.

So far the programmes have been far more interesting and diverse than in previous years, and I'm loving the extra Shostakovich thanks to it being his centenary Thumbs Up


I'm guessing a maximum of two people will reply, but it's worth a try!
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 19 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

i enjoy the yay england green and pleasant land stuff of the last night Embarassed but dont catch much of the rest of it
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 19 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes been watching it whilst on the running machine. Truely superb.
____________________
Good girls ride motorcycles bad girls thrash them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:16 - 19 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had this image of you on helium sort of singing/humming along. Laughing
____________________
The BCF's very own Party boy! Though he's getting old and feeling it!
Monkey hanger, Born and bred
My little photo portfolio
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teaman
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:33 - 19 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

got to be honest that I dont watch it,

I like classical music but the proms now to me is a bunch of cambridge students singing rule brittania at the top of there voices, (yeah i know thats the last day)

watched a ballet on tv at crimbo and went to see the nutcracker a while ago and thought that was great, I'd recomend live any day
____________________
There is no point in ranting about someone stupid because there is nothing u can do about it. There is no cure for stupid.
Someone stupid does not realise they r stupid.stupidity is indistinguishable from malice U just have to accept that some people are thick as p1gsh1t and work around them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

8316
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 08 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 19 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only watch the last night on tv-but i do it every year and i think its good stuff Thumbs Up
Should Jerusalem be our national anthem Question Quality Tune
____________________
Now own a Fireblade!! Speed Limits? Bah!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MementoMori
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:29 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
i enjoy the yay england green and pleasant land stuff of the last night Embarassed but dont catch much of the rest of it


Me too! When is the last night?
____________________
The tiger who came for a pint
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:54 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaman wrote:


I like classical music but the proms now to me is a bunch of cambridge students singing rule brittania at the top of there voices, (yeah i know thats the last day)



The Proms this year has been far more varied than any other year. It's really starting to offer music for everyone to enjoy - which was the 'dream' behind their creation.
I'm disappointed that I've not been to any this year.

For those of you who are in the area and have never been to a classical concert before, go! It's about £2 to get in to stand with the 'Promenaders' on the floor or up in the balcony.
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching a few of them, quite interesting really!

Thing is, I'm never quit sure what the composer is up to, always seems random and I'm confused as to why he (are there any female composers?) get so much of the credit?

Also, why is it only girls (and pretty ones at that) are allowed to play the flute?

Lastly, how do I get to play the timpani: the best instrument by far!?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:34 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:


Thing is, I'm never quit sure what the composer is up to, always seems random and I'm confused as to why he (are there any female composers?) get so much of the credit?

There are female composers, most of them English. Judith Weir is a particularly prominent, she has been resident composer of the CBSO Thumbs Up

The composer is the one who writes the music! That's why they get the credit.

I think you may mean the conductor! The conductor directs the orcestra - plays them like an instrument. He sets the pulse (speeds), the dynamics - different conductors show this differently, the mood. Most importantly he is the one who offers the interpretation of the music and tells the musicians how to play it. In an orchestra the players use very little of their creativity taking the lead from the conductor. Thumbs Up
Valery Gergiev (last night's conductor) is one of my favourites, he always seems to manage to bring out the dramaticism in the music and ensure the orchestra play completely together and with passion.

byke95 wrote:

Also, why is it only girls (and pretty ones at that) are allowed to play the flute?

James Galway? One of the greatest flute players!
Though, yes a lot of flute players are female and the few male flautists look like Captain Birdseye!


byke95 wrote:

Lastly, how do I get to play the timpani: the best instrument by far!?


You need to train in percusssion. So you need to be able to play the piano, oh and you need perfect pitch. Thumbs Down
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

byke95
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:50 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Annabella!

Yup, I was meaning the conductor Embarassed . Is the speed/mood (i.e. the conductor's style) bought out during the training/practice? It's just that, one the night, none of the orchestra players seem to be looking at him much?

Ba, I'll just have to buy my own timpani (after all, they can't cost that much Razz ). I don't think perfect pitch would be within my talents, I'd just want to keep on bashing them!

Arrr, thare be male flute players c'pn!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:53 - 20 Aug 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

byke95 wrote:
Is the speed/mood (i.e. the conductor's style) bought out during the training/practice? It's just that, one the night, none of the orchestra players seem to be looking at him much?



It is set during rehearsal, but having played with a large number of amateur orchestras you tend to find the conductor can get a little excited on the night and tends to pick up the tempo!

You can normally see the conductor enough over your stand or out of the corner of your eye on the night to know what is going on (let's face it, most of them are ugly gits Wink )
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.89 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 78.67 Kb