|
|
| Author |
Message |
| suzi_bandit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 suzi_bandit Traffic Copper

Joined: 21 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Tarmacsurfer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Tarmacsurfer World Chat Champion

Joined: 29 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Marcg868 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Marcg868 World Chat Champion
Joined: 20 Jan 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Trixie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Trixie World Chat Champion

Joined: 27 Jul 2005 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:16 - 24 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
It may be that you hit it without realising (in your sleep?) months ago, and it's never quite healed because you use it so much.
The point about looking at your riding position is good, as it may help, but I'm not sure your sore elbow has come directly from riding the bike. I must admit I've not heard of anyone I know getting a sore elbow from riding a bike. ____________________ Dead nobodies in company cars... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:43 - 24 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Out of interest, you say it is sore and you are in discomfort lifting. Do you also find it difficult to grip things? Does it feel like you can't fully clench your fist?
Another thing to check is if you hold your arm out straight with your palm flat and facing downwards, is your hand shaking?
If you have these symptoms then it is possible you have a tendonitis (tennis elbow) which is an inflamation of the tendons in your forearm. This is normally a repetative strain injury (from playing tennis or playing the violin etc) but can be onset by other things like increased strain on the arm - maybe from riding your bike. It's possible you are putting extra weight on that arm and because you are holding the throttle open you are dropping your wrist and so not stretching the tendons.
I have suffered from tennis elbow since I was 12 from playing the violin and tennis. I do find that riding my bike can cause pain, to alleviate this I try to make sure my arm is more in line - so change my throttle grip. You can also try wearing a support around your elbow. ____________________ Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell!
www.bikepics.com/members/bella |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:44 - 24 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
If it is a tendonitis, take some Ibruprofin now, and get an appointment with your doctor and ask him to prescribe some "Traxam" or a similar anti-inflammatory gel - works a treat  ____________________ Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell!
www.bikepics.com/members/bella |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| suzi_bandit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 suzi_bandit Traffic Copper

Joined: 21 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Sadie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Sadie World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Jul 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:27 - 28 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Sounds like tennis elbow to me.
 ____________________ With experience comes age. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| PsychoHippy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 PsychoHippy Jammy Git

Joined: 02 Jul 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 04:59 - 29 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
Go to the doctor and get it checked. If it is tennis elbow/tendonitis it can be treated quite easily if you catch it early enough. If you are stupid and leave it ages like I did you could end up having to have very painfull injections or even an operation to sort it (fortunatly the injections worked for me ) ____________________ I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste! |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| suzi_bandit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 suzi_bandit Traffic Copper

Joined: 21 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| jonboy22 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 jonboy22 Crazy Courier

Joined: 18 Apr 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:29 - 29 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've got the same/similar type of thing. It's a dull ache really inside the elbow and along the bottom of it. Exactly the same feeling as my tennis elbow. I use Ibuleve gel to sort it out when it gets bad but am looking for a remedy as I don't want to stop riding.
Think it might be due to the vibes as much as anything else. I remeber having some rubber thingy in my tennis racket strings to limit the vibes and reduce the tennis elbow effect, is there anything similar we can do for our bikes, like put rubber bar ends in or something?? ____________________ current bike: GSX-R 750 K6 stolen, found the next day in a van in Durham, returned to me 3 months later costing me my NCB and my excess...
last bike: GSXx-R 600 K4 - written off, now converting to track bike  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| suzi_bandit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 suzi_bandit Traffic Copper

Joined: 21 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:28 - 29 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
It's not severe enough for injections.
It's definitely as a result of riding. I use the bike daily and have had a a good few "pleasure rides" this past month, have done about 3,500 miles
I do hold the throttle open with my wrist down. I'll try to adjust my riding so that I don't aggravate it any more. ____________________ I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 15:40 - 29 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
There are some exercises you can do to help as well.
It's not anything to do with the vibrations Jonny, Tennis Elbow and other tendonitis are repetative strain injuries. The little wee ball on tennis racket strings supposedly dampens the vibrations of the strings allowing greater control over spin etc...
It really is a case of changing the riding position and excercising. I have changed my bow grip, am very aware of my riding position and ensure my wrist is in line with my arm, and don't play tennis.
There is an exercise I was given which can help.
Hold your arm straight alongside your body with your fist clenched,
Slowly raise your arm outwards (like you're making a snow angel) until it is aligned with your shoulder.
Release your fist and slowly lower you arm back to your side.
Repeat a few times. ____________________ Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell!
www.bikepics.com/members/bella |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| _Will_ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 _Will_ World Chat Champion
Joined: 16 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| _Will_ |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 _Will_ World Chat Champion
Joined: 16 Jan 2006 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:46 - 30 Aug 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| suzi_bandit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 suzi_bandit Traffic Copper

Joined: 21 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:28 - 01 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
When I was having a set of tyres fitted I mentioned to the guy at the shop that I was getting pain in my elbow. He said it was a common problem and clipped this little plastic device to the throttle grip. It basically allows you to use your palm to move the throttle and stops you from having to grip it.
I've been using anti-inflammatory gel and I'm hoping that coupled with this new clip on the throttle grip I'll solve my problem
 ____________________ I want a big boys bike, preferably a Speed Triple. To date I have ?7:42p stashed away to put towards one. Need to get it in the bank & earning interest asap. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Dazbo666 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Dazbo666 World Chat Champion

Joined: 06 Jun 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 18:09 - 01 Sep 2006 Post subject: |
 |
|
I've had similar discomfort when I 1st started riding, but the pain was mainly in my right upper forearm. I had throbbing tensed muscles in my arm, and occasionally my hand would cramp into a claw position.
I was given ibuprofen/ibuleve (sp?) and a muscle relaxant at one point, but soon realised it was down to my riding posture, and an amount of "tensing" or as I prefer to call it "death grip" on the handlebars.
I think the device that suzi_bandit mentioned being attached to the throttle grip is known as a Throttle Buddy?? (aka Cruise Buddy)
Had a quick look, but not been able to find a UK site for them yet. Maybe that would help?
EDIT: see Throttle Aid HTH ____________________ 1st bike (Sept'06 - May'10) : 1991 GPZ500S / Current bike (since Nov 2009) : 2003 Suzuki Bandit 600N
Word of the day : DILLIGAF |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| suzi_bandit |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 suzi_bandit Traffic Copper

Joined: 21 Jul 2005 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 20 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|