Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Uni + Current relationship....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:06 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Uni + Current relationship.... Reply with quote

Firstly this is NOT a "lost my GF thread i dont know what to do" thread but i just want to know what a poeple that may have experienced what im about to go though and how the dealt with it and any tips.

So i been with my girlfriend for a year now and we are really close, we have a ups+downs but dont really fall out all that much. It safe to say we have been though a lot more than the average couple (both 18) while we have been together (with what happend in april).

Anyways, we all thought including me that i would be having a gap year but last minute been offered a place at uni and took it. We know its probably stupid to carry on with 200 miles between us and think maybe just end on good terms.

Its just such a strange feeling ending with someone you love when the relationship is going so well!! Im dont think im that fussed about getting striaght into a relationship at uni as i think ill have enough on my plate settling in, just hope it doesnt put a downer on the whole thing.

I know its only one girl and yea, i probably will move on and yea, probably is stupid trying to make it work but just want to know how others how dealt with simular situations and i dont really know how to feel that moment about it.

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 21:22 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, good points siggi+yoko, i think she wants to end it more than me as she saying in more or less the same place and ill be living with thousands of other young poeple drinking and checking out the talent.

I dont know, i could always do it her way till xmas and then say we should give it a good??

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a tricky one, I know people who decided to call it a day and keep in touch, and agree to remain friends and see if there's anything when the situation is easier. But that scenario is a minefield as well!

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 21:32 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend moved to Uni and was 200 miles away from his girlfriend, but they stuck it out and they got married in July this year.

My current girlfriend lives 150 miles away, I'm just back from seeing her, we both work 9-5 jobs, her in Central London and me in Cheltenham, there's no way we're even close to talking about breaking up, when you're in love you can make anything possible!

If you both want it to work, it will, distance is not an issue at all.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about more than physical distance though.

Andy going to Uni is about to walk into a whole different lifestyle which his g/f has no experience of, and a whole new cirlce of friends that she doesn't know and doesn't have anything in common with.

I think what you are doing shows a great deal of maturity and consideration for a couple your age. Thumbs Up Much better to set each other free now so when either of you are tempted to start seeing someone else (seriously or just for a casual shag) it doesn't cause major problems and hurt.

It takes some getting used to, moving on from a relationship. It's almost a kind of bereavement in a way, and you have to adjust to those feelings of loss, which takes time. You may decide in the future that you do still want to be together after all, or you may not, but either way you will both look back on the realtionship with fondness which is always good.

*me shuffles pages of Big Book Of Cliches*

Time heals everything eventually. Karma

_Will_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 03 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an open relationship, you stay together, go to see each other, still get some - but can see other people aswell until youve both finished uni.
At our age its well known, especially at uni that we're not the most committed beings on the universe, you could be slaughtered one night or come acropper in an awkward situation.
Its a bloody awkward choice and all i say is both talk about it for a looooooooong time and make sure your both happy with it before you do anything rash, you seem quite unsure about it, is splitting altogether what you really want, questioning it is a sign in itself.
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:47 - 04 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open relationships just don't work. Thumbs Up
Good luck Andy - I think Siggi and Babyyam hit the nail on the head really.

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:44 - 04 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to Hijack your thread slightly Andy.

But Babyyam, that post has helped me finally understand the reasoning ive not been my normal self for the past 2 months. Helped alot, and time is healing, each day does get easier, have little stumbles and get upset still, but me and my ex, finally moving on, both got new jobs and this is beginning of new lifes for both of us.

And Andy good luck to you with whatever choice you make mate. Thumbs Up

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:24 - 04 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwfc4eva86 wrote:
both got new jobs and this is beginning of new lifes for both of us.

hurrah and I was on the verge of assembling a posse' due to your emo ways, to kick your ass, say whats the new job?
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 04 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
bwfc4eva86 wrote:
both got new jobs and this is beginning of new lifes for both of us.

hurrah and I was on the verge of assembling a posse' due to your emo ways, to kick your ass, say whats the new job?

haha, no as you've seen in another thread, ive moved on, seeing somebody new now Smile

And new job is another Travel Call centre, A1 Travel in Eccles. Not the best money on Earth, but at least now ive finally got my foot in the door of Travel industry and can get some experience and work my way up the ladder Smile

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 04 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in a very similar position mate. Been with my current GF for best part of 2 years, Have had ups and downs, and donrt usually argue. But with me going to uni (admittedly not that far, but i will still be staying on campus) and her starting at college, i dont know if it would just be better to end as friends and set each other free if you will...

Because i am excited about the prospective talent.... and im not one to cheat so i would have to end it with her first... I may end up just leaving it how it is for a while and see if it can cope...

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 04 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people who tried to keep relationships going through university. Some succeeded and some failed. It's the ultimate test really - if you can survive a long-distance relationship through university you can survive anything. Don't just let distance break you up, but if you're drifting apart anyway then so be it.

xlizx
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:51 - 07 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to uni and stayed with my bloke. Its not far from home or him, but thats not the point. Theres tonnes of other young people all in the same boat as you, and it was difficult because he wanted me to come home to him whereas I wanted to party all the time and get drunk. Have since fallen out with a load of uni mates and realised that young people are flippant, and that I never knew any of them as well as I know my bloke.
Going back to uni at the end of this month, just moved in together too. It can work if you balance it right, see your partner sometimes and see mates sometimes. If you love someone, all the available talent out there doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:18 - 07 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

aahhh how nice

Blunet600
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:25 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

pisses me off when people say that kind of shit "i think we have been through more than the average couple". how do you know?!?!?! your no different or special than any other boyfriend - girlfriend relationship.

200 miles is a long way to travel, and if you stay together the chances of you both staying loyal is very slim because it will take some serious effort to travel that many miles eahc time you wanna see each other.
I would say end it, but then again the 'love' and feelings you have for her can be very hard to let go of. this part i understand, but pain is temporary, it always goes away one way or another.
I guess you both need to sit down and discuss it really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy C
Tree Seeking Missile

PostPosted: 11:39 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSRdude wrote:
pisses me off when people say that kind of shit "i think we have been through more than the average couple". how do you know?!?!?! your no different or special than any other boyfriend - girlfriend relationship.

Because she watched me lying on a bed coughing up blood due to punctured lung and internal bleeding before going into theatre when i had my bike accident when i almost died and came to see me as much as she could the 4months i was recovering.

I dont think many people my age go thought that together....so YES, we have been though more than the average couple Thumbs Up

Marcg868
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 09 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my Ex gf would never do that for me, in fact she couldnt even tell her dad to mind his own fucking business never mind what Andy's gf did.

Got a good one there mate, hold onto her Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1