Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


1 Month, 10k run, completely unfit..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:22 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: 1 Month, 10k run, completely unfit.. Reply with quote

I want to get fit and up till now I've not really done anything about it, tried cycling to work but soon got back on the motorbike.. don't really train as much as I should and my diet is crap, I am seriously un-fit...

So.. I was thinking of entering a running event, gives me an aim to train for..

Now, the next charity run close to me is 1st October.. that's less than a month away, I'm completely un-fit, and this is 10km ..

Is it possible/good idea to train enough to run 10km in this short period of time?? Is this a good idea in general?

Am I going to keel over and die if I try to run 10km so soon?? I can't remember the last time I ran somewhere Shocked

Any tips or advice welcome, and should I wait till the next one (prob december/jan time) to give myself a bit more time or just jump in at the deep end? at least this would force me to train or else face embarassement, especially if I get people to sponsor me, I'd have no choice but to make the run Shocked it's for Cancer Research UK..

Thoughts and opinions welcome.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:03 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might book up for this in November instead, looks nuts!!

https://www.hellrunner.co.uk/home.htm

That'd definetly be something to train for..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:35 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 month. 10k. Do-able I would have thought.

I'm not a fitness instructor but if you did it the way they got me up to basic fitness standard in the TA, you shouldn't find it too strenuous.

Basically, you need a 3 mile course (which is roughly 5k). Do the first 1.5 miles in exactly 13 minutes (which is a jog) then best effort for the second half. Do this every morning, keep tabs on your time for the 'best effort' part.

Do this every day for a week and you should find you are doing the second part at a run without spewing your ring. Then rack up the distance for the next week etc.

Probably not all that conventional, but I do know that if you want to train yourself to run, you have to run. The first half of the run gets everything warmed up, stretched and into the swing of things. The second half pushes it and encourages your body to build the appropriate muscles (which is why you need to give it effort, push yourself so it hurts).

What I would say is get some decent trainers. Go to a proper sports shop (as opposed to a fashion one) and ask them to advise you what sort to get (a lot depends on how heavy you are and what sort of exercise you are doing). If you are going to start doing roadwork and are not accustomed to it, you will get sore feet and shin splints without appropriate footwear. Then you'll hardly be able to walk let alone run.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:44 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have Asics Gel trainers which are pretty good..

I plan to run off road anyway doing laps of the local park/hill.. plan was to combine some distance with some relay type sprints (you know where you run between 2 points like the beep test? )

I was thinking of entering this Hellrunner race in december.. training from now aiming to do the first 10km charity race as a half-way target, then going on to attempt the hell-runner race.. it will be well hard but even if I just manage to finish it'll be a big acheivement..

I'm getting pretty motivated about it already .. just gotta transfer that motivation over to going out and actually training and I might make it..
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Reevo8
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:42 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that is enough time, I have trained very little, and have the Great North Run to contend with on the 1st October!

13.1miles, gonna be grafting I tell thee!
____________________
05 ZX10R, (**05 WKR) Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

primalcarl
Crazy Courier



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 10k you'd have no worries (assuming you aren't hugely obese)

You could walk it no worries if you had to. Sure you'll be in pain as no training, but it's well within reach
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NinjaBoy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 13 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:05 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: 1 Month, 10k run, completely unfit.. Reply with quote

Sparks! wrote:
Now, the next charity run close to me is 1st October.. that's less than a month away, I'm completely un-fit, and this is 10km ..

Is it possible/good idea to train enough to run 10km in this short period of time?? Is this a good idea in general?

I cycled Lands End > John O'Groats last year at the age of 15 Smile And to put it bluntly, I'm not the fittest of all 16 year olds, just a couple of pounds over probs so not bad Smile However, I intended to practice much more. I cycle a lot, but I didn't have good leg muscles. They soon built up and so if I can cycle 923 miles in two weeks with a couple of 20 mile bike ride practices, I'm sure you can run 10k with a few morning runs Very Happy

All the best to you mate. Maybe get sponsored for charity and it'll push you on more. My dad and I raised £3000 for 3 charities on our bike ride Smile

Good luck WinkThumbs Up
____________________
.: NinjaBoy :.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a hill, Not to steep but steep enough to have a good run. Run as fast as you can to the top.walk slowly down, keep repeating untill you cant do it. Have 2 days rest. Do the process again.
I needed to do a level on the bleep test. I could only manage level 5. After 2 weeks I got to level 10/11.
Its worth a try and IMO the best way to get your CV up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steveh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

get fat, people feel sorry for you and give you a pie.
____________________
Current : 06 Zx10r, 07 Wr450f SM, 74 850 norton commando, 63 bsa b40, 1962 Triton 650, 67 Triumph Tr6r, 1955 Triton 750, 1978 TY250E.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:37 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
Find a hill, Not to steep but steep enough to have a good run. Run as fast as you can to the top.walk slowly down, keep repeating untill you cant do it. Have 2 days rest. Do the process again.
I needed to do a level on the bleep test. I could only manage level 5. After 2 weeks I got to level 10/11.
Its worth a try and IMO the best way to get your CV up.


Yer was thinking of going up Portsdown Hill next week to try that, altho that hill is a bit steep Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycling is easy , as push bikes are incredibly efficient in terms of energy 1 litre of
petrol equvilant gets 2000 miles on a push bike foot only gets 400, thats actually
a thought if there were showers at work I'd cycle in , mainly cus push bikes can
filter pretty darned fast.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

One road I used up there. Not sure of the name. From Cosham to Drayton, Go along there. As you come to the row of shops theres a pub on the corner., that road half way to the top is a good place to start.
Also, pub comes in handy Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:19 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
One road I used up there. Not sure of the name. From Cosham to Drayton, Go along there. As you come to the row of shops theres a pub on the corner., that road half way to the top is a good place to start.
Also, pub comes in handy Thumbs Up


that's by my house too Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GSXR_Warrior
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:40 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be some help

https://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/index.shtml
____________________
GSXR600K4 Blue - fastest colour. No mods as yet. Happy with standard bike.
www.twitter.com/GSXR_Warrior
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put your name down. Once it's confirmed you'll have to have the motivation to do some training. Which as we all know is your real problem. Wink

If you do put the training in I'm sure you could manage 10k just fine. A little 'on the day adrenaline' will probably get you twice as far as you would normally do anyway.
____________________
Photos and that
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.22 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 89.71 Kb