Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Buying a bike with no tax?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:54 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Buying a bike with no tax? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking at a '96 GPZ500S with no MOT or Tax.

Seller says he will put MOT on before I buy it, but not the Tax.

How am I going to tax it so I can legally ride it away bearing in mind I'll need an insurance certificate and the MOT certificate?

Can I legally ride it with no tax for a certain amount of time?

It's declared SORN.

Cheers,

T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could get the docs together, waiting a few days for them to arrive, go buy tax and then collect the bike.

Or you could live life on the edge and just ride it home with no tax.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with the latter, just do it.
____________________
Current : MSX 125 Past : CBR 900RR Monkeybike : c50 LAC : ZXR750 H2 : FZR600 : ZX7R P3 : YW100 : TRX850: Trophy 900 T309 : GSXR 600 L0: Monkeybike : XJ6S Whosthedaddy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

T1z3R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could read the million (exaggeration i know) other posts about the same thing,

legally you cant ride it without tax so you cant ride it home....legally Wink
____________________
duck my sick!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

just ride it. If you get pulled just make sure you have the reciept on you and I'm pretty sure a decent copper would let it go if you where on your way home.
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my GS500 brought home on a bike trailer.

But as for my Bandit, I called the insurance company the day before I collected the bike, arranged my insurance, they immediately faxed it to the dealer and sent the docs to them for the next day (just in case), he taxed it and rode off into the sunset, well not quite, no sunsets in Leicester.

Just get the cover note sent to you as quickly as possible, get the other docs and tax the bike. Please run the risk of being pulled over by a copper. You know the pigs pay more attention to bikes and are more likely to do a check on it.

Gordon
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:29 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming he won't include the cost of tax in the deal, but can't you just pay the seller the amount needed (£46) and then get him to tax it for you?

He will have the new MOT cert and his own insurance cert so it won't be a problem. You don't need any special form to un-sorn a vehicle.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

extreme3d wrote:
I'm assuming he won't include the cost of tax in the deal, but can't you just pay the seller the amount needed (£46) and then get him to tax it for you?

He will have the new MOT cert and his own insurance cert so it won't be a problem. You don't need any special form to un-sorn a vehicle.


Unfortunately he hasn't ridden the bike for a while (he has another one) so he has no insurance on it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

angryjonny
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:41 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:

Unfortunately he hasn't ridden the bike for a while (he has another one) so he has no insurance on it.


I had exactly the same problem when I was buying a bike. I just left it. If the seller's not going to make it easy for me to buy their bike, I'm not buying it. Simple as that.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:51 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to pass up a mint condition GPZ for £40 though...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had exactly the same problem when I was buying a bike. I just left it. If the seller's not going to make it easy for me to buy their bike, I'm not buying it. Simple as that.


So the seller must fork out for insurance just so you can get tax on it ? Rolling Eyes


I bought my ZX6R without tax. I had a 300 odd mile trip home. Just go for it, just make sure that your insured.
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically you cannot ride it on the road unless you are displaying a valid tax disc (this includes carrying it in your pocket/wallet BTW).

I bought a bike last week on Monday, MOT'd in Tuesday, insured it Wednesday morning over the phone (put on cover immediately), rode it to & from work Thursday and Friday while waiting for the insurance docs to arrive and my wife taxed it midday on Friday. I haven't tried to avoid paying road tax because the new tax backdates to the start of the month before I bought it, but I did understand I was taking a risk by doing it.

If you had your purchase receipt, MOT and insurance documents on you though you'd have an excellent chance of not getting reported if you were stopped.

Make sure you get the little green slip with the barcode off the log book or you 'll have to wait for the new log book to return to you before you can tax the ZZR.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have got a cover note from your insurance and the new mot just ride to the nearest post office and buy a tax disk.
simple.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How will he have a cover note ?
____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:26 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look just give the guy £62 quid to go buy tax for you , be much simplier ,
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr.Everready
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Look just give the guy £62 quid to go buy tax for you , be much simplier ,


Quote:
so he has no insurance on it.

____________________
the undemocratically unelected mod of the Scottish section
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

sort out your insurance before bringing it home?
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

extreme3d
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you paying for the bike, if it's a cheque then you will have to wait 7 days for it to clear anyway. Give's you loads of time to gather all the necessary docs as Bendy said above, and get the tax disk.

If paying by cash you will just have to ask him nicely if he will mind hanging on to it for a few days whilst you get it taxed. Naturally he will look at you strangely and think 'geek' as everyone else would just be a rebel and ride it home Laughing . You will have the new owners V5 slip in your pocket after all as proof you've just got the thing Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:57 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ride it home without tax, it's no big deal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

shorty
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:06 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are really worried remember that you are entitled to ride to and from an MOT testing centre, without tax, if you have a pre-arranged appointment.

If it was me I'd just ride it.

Shorty
____________________
Triumph Daytona 675 Triple
Triumph Tiger Sport 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

krebsy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:06 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... you can legally ride it to and from the MOT centre without tax. Same applies if you've just bought it as you have "just had it MOT'd".

I did that with my ZZR, just grabbed it from the shop, rode home, nipped into town in the car, got the tax, etc. You'll be fine riding it from the shop straight to the post office, buy your disk and then get it back home again. in the unlikely event of getting pulled over then you are simply heading home "after an MOT."

K.
____________________
What's my New Year's resolution?

1280 x 1024.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode my TZR for weeks without tax, but of course I made sure not to park it anywhere public - it was always parked on driveways.

Reason being was I forgot to get a new keeper supplement from the guy I bought it off so I had to wait for the official docs to come in the post before I could get tax.

I'd say ride it home but of course, you'll be in the shit if you're that unlucky and get caught.

So the question is...
How lucky do you feel? Very Happy
____________________
Yamaha YB100 | Yamaha TZR125 | Yamaha XJ600S | Suzuki GSF600
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

krebsy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
Technically you cannot ride it on the road unless you are displaying a valid tax disc (this includes carrying it in your pocket/wallet BTW).


the law says it MUST be displayed in a car (on the lower left of the windscreen), must be displayed on a bike and sidecar combo (on the sidecar or your nearside handlebar/fork I think) but only SHOULD be displayed on the nearside of a mororcycle.

Reminds me that I need to put the secure tax disk holder on rather than the cheapo plastic/rubber thing you can peel open that came with it from the shop.

K.
____________________
What's my New Year's resolution?

1280 x 1024.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

feef
Energiser Bunny



Joined: 11 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

insure it, go to the seller, sort out the paperwork, go to a postoffice and tax it, then go back and ride away.

not that difficult..

is the hassle of potentially getting stopped without tax worth the 30 mins spent going and coming back with tax

a
____________________
Mudskipper wrote: feef, that is such a beautiful post that it gave me a lady tingle Laughing
Windchill calculator - London Bike parking
Blog and stuff - PlentyMoreFish dating
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

shorty
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

krebsy wrote:
in the unlikely event of getting pulled over then you are simply heading home "after an MOT."

K.


It's important to remember that it must be pre-booked - the OB will check.

TBH you would have to come across the nastiest copper in the world having his worst day ever to get any more than a producer. The only reason for a producer would be for you to prove that when you said you were waiting for the docs to get it taxed you were telling the truth.

I still have the tax disc for my 650 in my wallet as I'm a lazy bastard and it expires in January Embarassed

Shorty
____________________
Triumph Daytona 675 Triple
Triumph Tiger Sport 1050
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.47 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.54 Kb