Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Paypal/Ebay

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Paypal/Ebay Reply with quote

Right, going back a couple of months or more I sold my camcorder to some guy. Didnt think nothing off it as he had good feedback ect ect.
Payed me over paypal all legit, cam got sent.
Total 210 pounds. Sorted.
Few weeks later I get an email stateing it was fraud blah D blah and that the the persons credit card which got used 'might' do a chargeback.
I didnt hear nothing after the email for a good few weeks.
Then I had an email to re-instate my paypal balance as it was 210 pounds under.
Email after Email after email I kept telling them that I had lost the cam, I was a target of fraud. And there is just no way I could pay the 210 back as I sold the cam in the first place to pay my bills.
Now, yesterday I had a debt letter come in from a debt collecting company asking for the money within 7 working days.
Since this has happened I have Moved. My dad is a posty so he brought the letter home (as it was re-directed to this address)
So, do I simply ignore the letter as paypal doesnt have my new address or what?
Dont know what to do. Advice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Drew This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, hang on, did you send the cam or did you lose it? Neutral

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:45 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: Paypal/Ebay Reply with quote

They try and make it sound like it's secure, but it's a hell of a lot less secure than a lot of other methods, from what I've seen.

Sadly ebay rather forces it on us; more money in their pockets Rolling Eyes.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you send the item to the buyers verified paypal address? If so, you need to report the guy for fraud to EBay and the police. If you sent it somewhere else, you've probably lost your money.

Is the transaction covered under PayPal's seller protection policy?
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:19 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely if she ignores it she will get a bad credit history and maybe a CCJ against her. Probably best not to ignore it.
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:31 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

anders wrote:

But let her take it to the COUNTY COURT AND FIGHT IT.

I would suggest she tries to get it sorted way, way before the CCJ.

I wouldn't be suprised if she had to pay, if she let them take it that far.

Paypal give the impression they protect their members, but they try their best not to, within the rules governing such things.

Pte1643
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:36 - 08 Sep 2006    Post subject: Re: Paypal/Ebay Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
Few weeks later I get an email stateing it was fraud blah D blah and that the the persons credit card which got used 'might' do a chargeback.

If the Paypal transaction was through a Credit card, then surely this is NOT your problem. The Credit card company should be involved and cover the loss.

You MUST ring the Debt Collection company ASAP and explain it to them. If you leave it, then the next thing will be a balliff letter dropping on your door mat.
Don't think that just becasue you've moved house they wont find you... THEY WILL.

Similar thing happened to me when I swapped my bike insurance to a new company, then cancelled my old DD. I got a letter from a debt collection agency. I barked down the phone at them, they sorted it for me.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Er, hang on, did you send the cam or did you lose it?

I sent the cam.

I have no proof of posting, as it was at least a month untill I was told it was fraud. And I dont hold on for things that long.
As for ignoring it, Since moving the other people arnt sending our post to us. Therfore if it wasnt for ol' daddy here I wouldnt of known.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the address you sent the camera to from ebay a send the boys around.

syl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 10 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise wrote:
Quote:
Er, hang on, did you send the cam or did you lose it?

I sent the cam.

I have no proof of posting, as it was at least a month untill I was told it was fraud. And I dont hold on for things that long.
As for ignoring it, Since moving the other people arnt sending our post to us. Therfore if it wasnt for ol' daddy here I wouldnt of known.

If you know when you posted it and which post office, you should be able to get the information from them. They don't send that many special delivery / recorded items per day (unless it was a very big city centre branch).

Does seller protection apply to the transaction? You can see if it does on the paypal transaction details screen.

As for the mail, have it redirected.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that Paypal crap 'seller protection' just confuses me to hell.
I have an NCO Group card here (was re-directed). Got it today, willbe comming tuesday. Looks on the net and Im guessing its balifs.
WTF Do I do?
Paypal wont answer Emails by that time.
Im Stuffed!

vixen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wrked in debt recovery for 2 years...its not balifis.

It is a feild collection agent, they will want to come in and make a list of your posentions t make sure that they can take what you can't afford to repay.

you do NOT have to let them. if you say they are not getting in there is nothing thy can do. they are powerless.

Contact the recovery agency and explaine to them that you have just recived the details as you have moved so hence not been touch.

advise that you are in direct dispute with paypal regarding this amount. the company should then hold the account, at least for a few weeks. Thumbs Up

Who is the company, if I have worked for them then I'm in a better place to advise.

Louise
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 14 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right ive been on www.paypalsuck.com and sevral people are in the same place as me.
Mr P Brown will call round next tuesday between 9am-9pm to collect the money, This person dose not exsist.
Next letter is from a Mr P Green (lol) with the same letter but offering 75% off the debt.
After a few months they go away.
Ive been told NCO are paid on commision so they send threating letters to people involved, they are not baliffs or anything like that.
Im not worrying so much now if tons more people are getting these.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1