Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bye bye bike???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jebus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:40 - 20 Sep 2006    Post subject: Bye bye bike??? Reply with quote

Hey all, well i have not got my bike on the road yet and its getting close to it being on the road so the time about thinking about what i will be doing as regards to the distance and conditions. As well as what i am actually going to be traveling for.

At the moment i am getting lifts to the the bus stop, which at just over 6 miles away i aint walking and to work its 40 miles and college is 25ish miles, both decent trips out and that level of milage will add up fast and my dt even with a lot of tlc wont last long. If i get the bike on the road i will wear full kit for every trip regardless, so i am not going to use bike just to get to bus stop and sit on bus in full bike kit plus carry lid and work clothes for college dont need to carry anything but still sitting on bus in the kit and walking around college in that is not worth it. So for the bike to make sence i would have to use it for the full trips, ok for a couple of months but after that i would need full bike test, a bigger decent reliable bike and insurance which would cost a lot.

On the weather side i live in aberdeenshire and right out in the sticks as well so conditions can get pretty bad and with winter very close and no real experience on the road i would do it but dont think id have much energy left.

So am partly planning to do the unthinkable, sell the bike and leave the bike side alone untill i have got a proper job and college is finished and moved outa home and got my own place etc.

This does leave me with the problem of transport, which i belive can be solved by buying the very cheap land rover (my 4 wheeled love) which i cant drive as a car on road but may re register it as a tractor or just use for trips about the lanes no coppers about, and it would be insured and mot'd, taxed if possible and i can drive 2 test standard just not done test yet.

Being a 4x4 the weather wont bother it and the place i plan to get my job at is the end of bus route and a short walk so that not a problem, and could get my full car licence and landy fully sorted cheaply anyway.

So thats all a bit rambled and crappy done to be honest but i am terrible at explaining stuff, not going for the bike is a real tug at the heart but i really have to do what is best overall really bike great but not fully practical. Also on the otherside i am doing welding at college and will be doing that as a proper job so i can get pretty filthy and getting all that in bike kit a real bastard tbh.

What do you guys think to this, its near enough sorted and i will loose a chunk of cash on the bike but some time needs must.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheShaggyDA
Repost Police

PostPosted: 23:36 - 20 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to drive a car illegally, what's stopping you riding a bigger bike?

[i:6e3bfc7581]But still I fear and still I dare not laugh at the madman...[/i:6e3bfc7581]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
anders This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pwntifex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:44 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/darkpowers/chav.jpg

MC Spence thinks that's a reet grand idea Thumbs Up

Jebus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:28 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah is a stupid idea really, thing is i could buy a wee little tractor and drive that about without a problem, good thing is gone back to bike idea again sitting on bus back from college beautiful day and i was just imgining riding, and since i wont buy the landy can get a decentish bigger bike and just go nuts and get on with my big test!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 21 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't make sense. You are going to buy a cheap (read knackered) land rover which will most probably break, is awful on fuel and you plan to drive it illegaly. I thought the plan was to save money? if you stack it into someone you're fucked.

How many miles a week will you be doing? Surely the best option here is to sell the DT and get a CG125 if you are really that worried about the DT falling to bits.

Kara
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:29 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

some landrover gaskets are made of cheese, expect to change the head gasket on an old LL. My other halfs rangerover does 18 to the gallon and costs £60 to fill up, we both have full time jobs and can't afford to run it (If you were interested in saving money bare that in mind.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

If money's a big issue, sell the DT and get a 125 workhorse like a CG125. Yes, it doesn't look as cool, but it's about as reliable as you'll ever get provided you don't buy a Chinese replica. That's almost certainly the cheapest route, and by the sounds of your location, you won't be able to max it out anyway, so it won't be much slower than the DT.

Jebus
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:46 - 22 Sep 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it will be about 400 a week, and a lot of that on main a roads or dual carriageways so a cg would be make me feel very safe. Still dont know the landy idea a stupid one, some gaskets are dodgy yes but they will go on and on but not going the route atm it was a random though late at night. It is still something i am thinking about with bike and other stuff but dont think the bike is going to get sold now.

will shut my brain up now!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1